Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
wrath

Devil's Backbone subs won't work

Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:54 pm

I've tried the subtitles found here for The Devil's Backbone (Espinazo del diablo) but none of them seem to work. I have to use VLC because the movie I have doesn't work in Media Player (causes some error: This pin cannot use the supplied media type.)

I have VobSub installed and I've renamed the *.srt file to be the same as the movie but still I have no luck in seeing these subs in VLC. I know there is an option for Subtitles in the VLC menus but it doesn't seem to be there when I play the movie.

Any help getting these subs to work would be appreciated.

I got the movie from this link: here. If there is a better source that will work with the subs found here, please let me know! (please remove link if I am not allowed to post it in a forum message!)

Nikephoros

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:51 am

Go to File>Open File>

At the "Open" field browse until you have the movie selected. Below it will say "Use Subtitle"
Then where it says "File" browse until you select the subtitle file.

Videolan at present does not automatically load subtitles this must be done manually. Assuming that it automatically loaded the subtitles was wrong.

Worst

Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:58 pm

Actually Videolan automatically loads subtitles, usually there's problem with subtitle fuzziness. From my experience, if the name of film and subs is same and subs are in the same folder as film, it's loaded automatically in 90% situations.

Sometimes I have problems with Hebrew subtitles, don't know why, so I have to load them manually and set right coding.

Nikephoros

Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:34 pm

I think it only auto loads SUB image based subtitles named the same and not SRT text based subtitles.

wrath

Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:27 pm

Thanks Nikephoros, opening the file and then the subtitles worked. :)

Worst

Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:48 pm

I'm watching *.srt subtitles in VLC every day and believe me that it has no problem with auto-loading. Maybe you don't have this option enabled.

...but it's important that it works some way for you.

Return to “General talk”