Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
AlainB

A lot of errors !

Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:11 pm

hello.
i'm french and a new member on opensubtitle.org and if i found quite a lot of subs to help me, i discovered many errors inside the files i downloaded.
serching for movies, i founded what i though was good (good name for the zip files) but the wrong stuff in it who had absolutely nothing to do with the movie!

i don't know who can do something about it, but it will be nice to check before posting a file.

thanks a lot for that.
Ad good adress anyway!

:D :D

alain

mstrogoff

The Malpacek global mistake...

Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:24 pm

Hi Alain,

I got the same feeling than you do when I happened to arrive on Opensubtitles.org.

A main mistake source is the (very) numerous Uploads from "Malpacek". I asked the question in this forum a few monthes ago, it seems that Malpacek is the name given to an automatic script that affected very badly movies to "single" subtitles. After monthes of experience, I NEVER found would it be only ONE good Malpacek subtitle. Could I suggest to our friends of OpenSubtitles.org (thanks to them anyway !) to throw away all Malpacek subtitles, and the script with it. The number of referenced subtitles would decrease a bit, but the feeling of quality would be much better for newcomers...

oss
Site Admin

Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:59 pm

I agree with you guys, but...for that I coded "report wrong movie", so when you find bad subtitles, just report them and I will take care.

mstrogoff

"report wrong movie" : too many bad Malpacek subs

Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:10 pm

I agree with you too... "report wrong movie" is a great thing... but the Malpacek thing is a special case. There are hundreds (probably thousands ?) of bad "Malpacek" subtitles, probably all of them... So reporting about it in the "normal" procedure is a huge waste of time, on both sides... And (as I did myself) after a few uses of this great site, you just don't look at it any more. Almost ALL my requests results contain at least one Malpacek ST. I just pass it (I take a glance sometimes, to check it : that's what lets me think they are almost ALL bad).

So it's mainly a problem for the newbies - and for the general feeling people have about openSubtitles.org. I like this site (and I upload many of my resyncs to improve it !), that's why I suggest this general cleaning of all Malpacek subs...

oss
Site Admin

Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:13 am

this is possible, but when someone will report lets say 20 bad mlapacek subs we will get good results. There are already some thausand corrected mlapacek subs, so why delete them too :(

I understand you, but I dont want lose those subtitles. Maybe I will pay someone to correct all those subs...hm, good idea :)

mstrogoff

I understand...

Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:16 pm

OK, I'll try. From now, I will report (a part) of Malpacek bad subtitles I find... But if I found no good one... let's say every fifty times, I'll come back with my suggestion...

oss
Site Admin

Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:04 pm

thanks a lot for your reports, I all aprooved them, if everybody should this job like you ;)

Return to “General talk”