Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
eduo

Same Hash for different movies

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:42 pm

This is unusual, but I can't find a fault with it.

If I search by moviehash: 6a5a72c94e5064aa and bytesize: 735846400 for my Hellboy.avi file I get one subtitle for Hellboy and SEVEN subtitles for Apocalypto.

I thought it was almost impossible to have matching Hashes and Bytesizes for two different movies.

Can you find a fault with either these files? Is it a true bonafide coincidence? I find it unlikely that two high-profile movies would have the same hashes and bytesizes.

oss
Site Admin

Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:44 am

I taked a look, I think this:

1. someone uploaded those subtitles to wrong movie.
2. I programmed "derivator", it means, if subtitles are basically same, hashes are applied to those subtitles too.

So it is because. I should program "report bad hash" thing :)

eduo

Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:15 pm

Could you explain that "derivator" thing?

What do you do? How do you compare subtitles to decide they are the same?

oss
Site Admin

Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:36 am

here is a little explanation:

viewtopic.php?t=360&highlight=derived

in general, it works for same movie id, language could be different, timestamps are compared, and if more than 90% timestamps (I think, have to look to sourcecode) are same, then we can say, that subtitles are for same release...

I tried that, and it seems pretty clever :)

Return to “General talk”