Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
oss
Site Admin

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:50 pm

to add my $0.02 to conversation.

I had this idea quite long ago, storing hashes offline and so on. I had idea about:

Code: Select all

moviename.avi moviehash *other_infos
* means optional (for example imdbid, which is very important), but I am not sure, if it is good idea, for now I think moviename and moviehash is enough.

it makes sense to store these info to moviename.hash and later use this hash for upload (you dont need have movie files, just hashes...). It is possible to code, it is not too hard I think...we will see.

But I had better idea, and I implemented it some time ago, developers check this:
http://subdownloader.sourceforge.net/wi ... archToMail

Ok, in short I will describe what it does (we will see that in some next verision of SubDownloader or OSCAR) - for example I have directory "no subtitles", I will run SubDownlaoder against it, it finds 1 subtitle from 15. Now it asks, if I want receive mail, if some subtitles will be available for those, which it doesn't find. It is basically same thing, when you are logged-in and you search something and click on search page on "mail results" icon.

I was bored to run SubDownloader every week, and I see, I am not alone (again). Basically, I made this whole thing (opensubtitles.org, xmlrpc and so on) for making life easier for us - movie fanatics, so enjoy :)

eduo

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:57 pm

This sounds like a nifty idea.

Would it be also visible in the account page of opensubtitles.org? Some people may want to see it onscreen instead of receiving an email (for whatever reasons).

If this is implemented via a "Digest" summary that is sent as email only when there are updates or new subtitles for the languages selected I would think it's a great idea.

oss
Site Admin

Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:24 pm

problem to see this online is simple - when searching for subtitles using hashes we dont know IMDB, so it is impossible.

Also, small issue with "news script" is - user get every filled request alone - so, if in the same day will be added 5 matching subtitles, user will get 5 mails...

Maybe I will improve this in future, we will see :)

eduo

Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:53 pm

That's what a "digest summary" is. A notification every day or week or month with all updates in a single message.

On the IMDB thing. I don't understand, how can we not know the IMDB if we know the hash? IMDB is not needed to know if there is a new subtitle for a specific video file.

Say, I have video file with bytesize 119799808 and hash d922e56b39e902ca. That can be stored in the user's update database. No need for anything else (if anything, the filename I have in my video file could be stored as well, in this case "Robot Chicken S01E01.avi", for example).

Whenever someone finally uploads a subtitle for this file they'll have to enter the proper IMDB information.

But there is no need to have a link between the hashes I'm waiting subtitles for and their IMDB.

oss
Site Admin

Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:58 pm

Would it be also visible in the account page of opensubtitles.org? Some people may want to see it onscreen instead of receiving an email (for whatever reasons).
I answered to this - so in this way, when we know only hashes and videosize, we cannot know IMDB ID, so we cannot print this to website.

To other things - yes, you are right. From the beginning it is possible set up in profile how often mails should be send. In my profile it is daily :)

eduo

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:48 am

I answered to this - so in this way, when we know only hashes and videosize, we cannot know IMDB ID, so we cannot print this to website.
I have to differ here, unless you're not willing to save user's file names along with the hash.

There are two situations here, I am currently experiencing both:

1.-Files for which there are subtitles, but there aren't any languages I'm interested in (for example, there may be only brazilian portuguese or dutch).

2.-Files for which there is NO subtitle.

In the first case it's not a problem, as the data is saved in the database anyway.

In the second case the filename could be saved for the first request and used for the following requests (which wouldn't be a perfect solution, but maybe a workable middle-ground).

Another option would be to ask the user if they want to add the file to the waiting list, in which case the user has to search for the correct imdbid in the same way they would when uploading a new subtitle. This would make everyone happy, as only the first request would need to be saved and it would be stored for everyone after that.

oss
Site Admin

Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:15 pm

yes, exactly as you wrote this. This would be ideal situation and I think it is cool, so when I will code request section again, I will think about this.

So basically users will "tag" movies with IMDBID, and all other users will use this IMDB. I already coded some time ago method for this:

http://subdownloader.sourceforge.net/wi ... kMovieHash

good idea, eduo!

James

mail results

Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:38 am

great idea.. Yes, I have folder no Subtitles checked again and again..

If i have saved my hashes from first search someone in db, instead of on my HDD in hash files, better for me ;) Nice web interface for manage this (when I delete some files, so delete reaquest too, online checking and adding) and my dream come true.

hmmm mail results on web? hidden section for me, must check this :shock:
Do good things, and good things happen to you
[img]http://homel.vsb.cz/~spi057/userbar.gif[/img]

oss
Site Admin

Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:53 pm

I think creating hashes offline is not for make the search process faster, but possibility to upload subtitles without movies (as first user wrote).

Also I think SubDownloader should add as video extension RAR, because some players already can play movies from RAR files (and XBOX too).

So in ideal world I will download som scene release, right click to rar, download subtitle, and watch it. Work for this should be done in minutes and I think it will be in next version.

For TV series - it is a little harder :(

eduo

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:30 am

I personally think the savings of rar do not really compensate going to another format. I personally wouldn't even store the subtitles compressed but I can understand why it is done.

I'd select just one compression method and use it for everything (I'd use zip, which is almost universal).

oss
Site Admin

Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:43 am

I dont know how you get movies from net, but I get official scene releases. They looks like this:

Code: Select all

The.Hitcher.DVDRip.XviD-DiAMOND [dir]: dmd-hitcher.nfo dmd-hitcher.r00 dmd-hitcher.r01 dmd-hitcher.r02 dmd-hitcher.r03 dmd-hitcher.r04 dmd-hitcher.r05 dmd-hitcher.r06 dmd-hitcher.r07 dmd-hitcher.r08 dmd-hitcher.r09 dmd-hitcher.r10 dmd-hitcher.r11 dmd-hitcher.r12 dmd-hitcher.r13 dmd-hitcher.r14 dmd-hitcher.r15 dmd-hitcher.r16 dmd-hitcher.r17 dmd-hitcher.r18 dmd-hitcher.r19 dmd-hitcher.r20 dmd-hitcher.r21 dmd-hitcher.r22 dmd-hitcher.r23 dmd-hitcher.r24 dmd-hitcher.r25 dmd-hitcher.r26 dmd-hitcher.r27 dmd-hitcher.r28 dmd-hitcher.r29 dmd-hitcher.r30 dmd-hitcher.r31 dmd-hitcher.r32 dmd-hitcher.r33 dmd-hitcher.r34 dmd-hitcher.r35 dmd-hitcher.r36 dmd-hitcher.r37 dmd-hitcher.r38 dmd-hitcher.r39 dmd-hitcher.r40 dmd-hitcher.r41 dmd-hitcher.r42 dmd-hitcher.r43 dmd-hitcher.r44 dmd-hitcher.r45 dmd-hitcher.r46 dmd-hitcher.r47 dmd-hitcher.r48 dmd-hitcher.rar dmd-hitcher.sfv Sample [dir] Subs [/dir]
Subs are ofcourse IDX. Now, if it is possible make connection with rar, everything I do is:
1. right click on dmd-hitcher.rar, search subtitles
2. download subtitles, filename will be: dmd-hitcher.sub

I have ofcourse this directory shared (WIFI connected to XBOX), play movie - and I watch movie on TV with subs...great, eh ? :)

Also I know, some PC/LINUX players (mplayer, if I remember good) are behave like this too, so it should be nice feature.

James

speed of searching

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:43 pm

I just discover Oscar, so I test it.... so I write how long takes searching.

No Subtitles directory: 55 GB, 64 movies.

Add to OSCAR: 2m 03sec 35 (HDD clashing)
Search OSDB in OSCAR: 9sec 33

Add to Subdownloader: 24sec 14 (HDD clashing)
Search in Subdownloader: ~ 1-2 sec

So (correct if I wrong), If hash is only thing, what I need to search in OSDB, and if I will have stored hashes in files from first search.. Loading hashes from 64 hashfiles MUST take less than 24 sec... This save lot a time for me, when consider I check folder No Subtitles all the time.
Do good things, and good things happen to you
[img]http://homel.vsb.cz/~spi057/userbar.gif[/img]

eduo

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:52 pm

Don't get me started with the scene and some of the truly stupid decisions that keep being made (and compressing video files into multi-part RAR files is one of those decisions, considering the end file is bigger than the video file itself).

My only argument was about using RAR for the subtitles themselves. Not the movie. I had misunderstood. I'm all for including all the formats currently being ignored (bin, mkv, ogm, mov, mp4, 3gp, etc.).

eduo

Re: speed of searching

Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:24 pm

I just discover Oscar, so I test it.... so I write how long takes searching.

No Subtitles directory: 55 GB, 64 movies.
Another option would be to not try finding subtitles every single day. I have over 600 files without subtitles, and I check them once every two or three weeks.

There's no point for them to be checked more often. Most of them are old movies and their subtitles don't move too quickly.

For newer TV episodes, for example, I tend to check each day for the episodes I have downloaded that week (usually no more than 5 without subtitles).

oss
Site Admin

Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:52 pm

Don't get me started with the scene and some of the truly stupid decisions that keep being made (and compressing video files into
yes, you are right, there exists some stupid decisions, but thats scene. I agree, this rule should be removed, also 8.3 names. But this is "standard", so lets take this as standard.
I don't want wait 1 minute for unpacking movie, so, for me, and for some others is supporting RAR files for subtitles good thing.

If I am thinking right, with spreading releases in this way, there should be a simple program, which checks subtitles for first rar...:) So people will have no probles with getting subtitles...just my idea.

Return to “Programs using OS”