Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
humblejohn3838

Adding subtitles to a torrent-newbie

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:42 am

I am a newbie and wonder if someone could help me by telling me where to post this note. Are there tutorials etc? I need to know how to add english subs to a german film. Any source of help and/or explanation would be appreciated. Thank u.

arcchancellor

Re: Adding subtitles to a torrent-newbie

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:55 am

That depends what codec (divx, xvid, x263, x264 etc.) in what containerformat (avi, mkv, ogm, mp4, vob etc) your movie is.
And if you want add the subs hardcoded or softcoded = fixed or optional displayable.
"I don't believe in God. I just believe in Billy Wilder" - Fernando Trueba

jackarute

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:20 am

The easiest way is to get any video conversion program that adds subtitles. Generally they need to be in ssa or srt format for these programs. These are generally the easiest to work with anyway. Just run the program and most conversion programs you can just leave the video alone or if you need to convert the video anyway this is definitely the best way to get your feet wet. There is also a program called VirtualDub which just adds them to the existing video and it is fairly forward you just have to download a module that allows you to add subtitles. VLC player also does it, but is slightly more convoluted, but it can overlay the subtitles and you can either save it to whatever format you are using or watch it on the fly and its adds them as you watch. WMP also does this you just need to make sure the subtitle file and the video have the same exact name with only the extension being different. If you do torrents quite a bit you probably noticed that most come in the sub/idx format which you have to convert with an OCR program so they are kind of a pain. Generally, just wait a bit and you'll find the subtitles in srt format or they may already exist if older movie, on opensubtitles.org or you may have to dig around the internet to find them. I know I probably didn't exactly answer your question, feel free to write back and I'll do my best to make it straightforward. Once you get the hang of it it's a breeze, but I do remember what's it's like starting out and I'll be more than happy to help.

humblejohn3838

Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:21 am

Thank you for your detailed answer. I really must admit that I had better do a lot of research before I can even ASK a question.

platelet

Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:28 pm

The link has a tutorial on using free software to embed subtitles.

http://www.divxland.org/permanentsubtitling.php

Hope this helps

Return to “General talk”