Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
beenburned

Not really that big a problem, more of an annoyance...

Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:18 pm

Hi, I am having some problems for Pan's Labyrinth in VLC Player 0.8.6a. I can get the subtitles to show up fine but they also show the coding for their display i.e. <font color=<"#ffffff">. I have tried a few things to see if it changes, but I am pretty clueless about how to change it. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Worst

Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:05 am

Sometimes I have text subtitles with these marks too. It's possible that it isn't caused by VLc (I've never seen something like that). Of course, I didn't see those subtitles. I have no idea how are these subtitles created, why someone put these marks in the "text". Maybe it's caused during some conversion or something.

But it could be also ssa or other special format. So... We need more informations or URL if possible. :D

eduo

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:14 pm

This is nothing more than sloppy subtitling. Some subtitles will use html codes for emphasis and such. In some cases they use codes THEIR OWN player recognize but that are not really part of the .srt or .sub standard. In other cases they'll use tags that may not be supported by the majority of players.

But, in reality, the majority of these problems is that the tags are all over the place and frequently incorrect, so they break on players.

BE SURE to rate the subtitle appropiate and put a LOW rating for them in the webpage. A proper ratings system is the only way to ensure only the best subtitles are used, and it can't be enforced. It needs to be something users do for both good and bad subtitles.

Return to “General talk”