Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
timbouctou

Too many sponsored links

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:32 am

Could you please tone down on the ads and sponsored links a bit?
Now that there's a completely useless pair of links directing us to "download at 25 Mbit" and telling us to "search P2P download", the subtitles release info is gone from the first page you normally get after searching for subs.
This is really annoying and it makes the site user-unfriendly, because now everyone has to click on each and every result to see which release the subtitle is for.

Also, the sorting of titles by dowload popularity doesn't work anymore when I try doing it from my profile page. I can still click on that column, but nothing happens.

You also might think about putting the video tutorials in a separate section that could be accessed from the main page instead of putting it right on the main page.

I know that you're trying to make some money out of this, and that's fine by me - but this is getting ridiculous. You should keep in mind that the site will keep growing only if it stays user friendly and designed in a simple and clean manner.

Lumbriga

Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:41 am

I agree. It looks pretty odd/ugly to look at. :cry:

oss
Site Admin

Re: Too many sponsored links

Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:03 pm

Could you please tone down on the ads and sponsored links a bit?
yes
Now that there's a completely useless pair of links directing us to "download at 25 Mbit" and telling us to "search P2P download", the subtitles release info is gone from the first page you normally get after searching for subs.
release is still there, as it was (when available)
This is really annoying and it makes the site user-unfriendly, because now everyone has to click on each and every result to see which release the subtitle is for.
check again :)
Also, the sorting of titles by dowload popularity doesn't work anymore when I try doing it from my profile page. I can still click on that column, but nothing happens.
yes, I have to turned this off, because it make big load to server. I can turn it on again...for logged users for example.
You also might think about putting the video tutorials in a separate section that could be accessed from the main page instead of putting it right on the main page.
yes, these videos are there only for shor period of time, I will move there to Download section maybe.
I know that you're trying to make some money out of this, and that's fine by me - but this is getting ridiculous. You should keep in mind that the site will keep growing only if it stays user friendly and designed in a simple and clean manner.
thats right, and we know that. I am coding right now better user managment (1 user belong to many groups, 1 group have many permissions), so when user will be logged, he won't see those nagging ads. I dont like ads too

Nikephoros

Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:02 pm

What bothers me most is the Youtube videos. How unneccesary is that!

For youtube it is good, since it is like a advertisement for this site on youtube. If you are on Youtube and search for "subtitle", you will get a video advertising how to use this site, and this site is not complicated so it is more like an ad. But to have it on the mainpage is not needed, since everyone who visits will already know about this site.

Worst

Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:09 am

Have you seen the videos???

It's not about how to use this site, but it's about how to use subdownloader.

Yes, maybe the placement is inconsistent, but I thing it is needed!!!

If you think it's not complicated to use the site and subdownloader, I think you're wrong, cus a lot of users simply don't use subdownloader only because it's too complicated for them to download, set options and study how it works.

...I think that's why videos are there.

oss
Site Admin

Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:16 am

Worst is right. I have many friend, and I ask they: Did you tried SubDownloader ? And he said: No, whats that?

As you can see, if you come to main page, you see SubDownloader in grey box as link, if you want upload subtitles, there is use Subdownloader...but many people just ignore this, and they want just subtitles, nothing else. But I want show them - hey, stop! There exists a better way how to get subtitles - SubDownloader!

And that's all about - to know to all people, they should use SubDownloader, so because those videos are on first page and they are "very visible". I will get them out one day, but first I have to finish something and create som good "advert" for this. So if you want, just recommend, how to let now to users, they should use it :) some slogans will be good :)

Gringo

Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:12 pm

I just read through this topic "Too many sponsored links" and I felt compelled to post my opinon:

My first thought was: "Nice,....really nice !!!".

There comes this guy, complaining and nagging about this website, in a way that really pisses me off....What a *J*E*R*K* !

Besides allegations that are just WRONG, the style/tone of the post is what really drives me crazy. Like for example: "Could you please tone down on the ads and....". This is demanding and arrogant. Who this creature believes he is to demand such a thing?

"I know that you're trying to make some money out of this..." .....sure, of course, that's it ! No doubt about it, this guy reads minds and easily spots the ones that are greedy for money.... It is not true that some very talented guys sat over a beer and discused their frustration about the many poor websites that exist for subtitles and they decided to do it better....no!, they just came up with a sneaky little project, not to help us finding subtitles, but to f*** us up, and get rich, probably becoming multimillionaires by spaming us poor users with tons of ads and unwanted links.....

You know what? I really think this guy was talking about himself. Or better, what he would do, if he had the talent of "os" and others....But unfortunately, he not good enough and all he can come up with are some lousy allegations...nothing more...

When I saw the Videos the first time, I was giggling and cheering! What a great idea. I thought: "these folks are really trying to promote SubDownloader" - which helps all users, since it becomes more usefull the more people use it.

I don't know what's wrong with some people. It's probably a natural law that, as soon as someone does something outstandingly good, soon there come the naggers and the demanding manager-like comments to do things differently..... "You should keep in mind that the site will keep growing only if it stays user friendly...", oh dear, can it still get more presumptuous than that??

I for my part just have to make a compliment to "os" and "worst": You really stayed calm and replied in a competent manner. Something I'm obviously not capable of....

Both thumbs up,
Gringo

Return to “General talk”