Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
Wonderm00n

Sloooow... What can we do?

Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:05 pm

Hi there,

The site has been so slow these days... I'm developing a website that would fetch OS subs via an ajax script but that's really impossible has the user will be waiting for AGES.

So I'm adopting another strategy: I will have a cron that will cache on my database the details of each subtitle for each title and then the user will see my cache, and then be linked to OS to really download the subtitle.

The website is already live bfgsfsskj and it's a tool to manage movies/tv shows collections. I will integrate OS subtitles as a nice to have.

So, my question is: what are the best time frames (days of the week, times of the day, and in which timezone) to hit the server with some requests? When is it faster?

oss
Site Admin

Re: Sloooow... What can we do?

Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:43 pm

hi,

you are talking about API (api.opensubtitles.org) or website www.opensubtitles.org ? If API, yes, there is problem with speed, we are working on that. With www.opensubtitles.org - it should work ok.

The most less people is on website around 3.am GMT, you can check it here: http://whos.amung.us/stats/history/nqukeu92/

Wonderm00n

Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:48 pm

I'm talking about the API yes... It's horrible slow and impossible to use.

Do you think the problems will be solved and you thik I can use the real time fetch when the user hits my webpage, or do you recommend me to make a cron to cache the subtitles information on my side and present the cache to the user.

Best timeframe to hit the api is also around 3am?

Trek

Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:46 pm

Today it is fracking fast. To download subtitles list for whole Star Trek TNG it takes 16 seconds. And for film it is instant. Congratulations if it is now normal throughput.

oss
Site Admin

Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:47 pm

yeah, we upgraded something, using better cache and so on, still improving results, and yeah, i can see in the graph, now is API really usable :)

billylopez

Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:52 am

its been getting very annoying lately with the website running so slow, I've had to use other subtitle websites like podnapsi.net to get my subtitles

oss
Site Admin

Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:27 am

we are in the middle of configuring new servers, which we just bought for almost 10.000 EUR. Please stay tuned

Return to “Developing”