Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
sonofaragorn

Alert for cancer related movie/show

Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:23 pm

I have an idea for a website I think could be useful for myself, my wife, and other people.

My wife has been battling cancer for 3 years. Her life has changed a lot and it is difficult to feel normal. One thing we have always liked doing is watching TV shows and movies. The problem is that often in movies there is an unexpected mention of cancer, which makes us think again about cancer, which we don't want.

Sometimes it is easy to avoid this by reading the plot of the movie, but often the cancer mentions are done in passing and hence are not mentioned in the movie synopsis.

I would like to create a website that simply warns the user if the script of a movie or TV show has ANY mention of the word cancer (or adjacent words like chemotherapy, radiotherapy, etc.).

Is anyone aware if something like this already exists?

If not, I was thinking about using the OSS API to scan the subtitles. Do you think that's feasible? Any suggestions? I also thought maybe getting the synopsis from Wikipedia.

Thanks!

scooby007
Site Admin

Re: Alert for cancer related movie/show

Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:33 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your circumstances, and hope she has a speedy recovery.
IMDb's "parental guide" section might be a good start:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27239225/p ... tt_stry_pg

If not, I was thinking about using the OSS API to scan the subtitles. Do you think that's feasible? Any suggestions? I also thought maybe getting the synopsis from Wikipedia.
I guess you could talk to the developers if that's the route you decide to take.

All the best.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies who collect your data. Click below image for more details and reduce your online digital footprint.

oss
Site Admin

Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:41 am

in theory this is possible.

we just dont show the keywords from subtitles, but we have them. Lets hope in another version on opensubtitles.com this will be feature. Easy to make.

Oyrowe

Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:36 pm

Just stumbled on this, im not sure how accurate and/or helpful it is but there might be similar websites available
https://www.doesthedogdie.com/does-some ... s&type=all

Return to “General talk”