Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
premiumuser

GUIDE: Understanding Subtitle Types

Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:54 pm

Hello I tried searching for this topic but was unable to find a useful guide or video explanation of the subtitle files.

I'll be using the following 4 files below as an example. The differences I'm noticing is that they each start at different time stamps and some have more closed captioning than others. Additionally some may not work for some reason.

If anyone can break it down as simple as possible. What are the differences and which one's should I be looking for?

The.Days.2023.S01E08.JAPANESE.WEBRip.NF.en.srt

THE.DAYS.S01E08.NF.WEBRip-en-forced.srt

THE.DAYS.S01E08.NF.WEBRip-HI.srt

THE.DAYS.S01E08.NF.WEBRip.srt

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: GUIDE: Understanding Subtitle Types

Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:44 am

First of all, not all video versions are the same, due to a different intro, different cut, different FPS-ratio, etc.. So not every subtitle fits to every video. That's why subtitles can have different time codes. That's why the good uploader will state the video version the subtitle is synchronized to, so you will know which one to choose.

Then there is HI, non-HI and forced.

The HI version is meant for hearing impaired ("HI") people. It includes descriptions of sounds and who is speaking. For example:
[dogs barking], [gun shots], JOHN: How are you doing?

The non-HI version is the same subtitle, but with those descriptions removed.

The forced version only has the speech in foreign languages subtitled. For example, an English subtitle for an overall English spoken movie with some dialogues in Japanese, will subtitle only those Japanese dialogues, nothing more.

So, which one to choose, depends on 1. your video file and 2. your personal needs.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

Return to “General talk”