Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
theone11

Greek subtitles turn out wrong

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:08 am

Hi guys,

Downloaded the Greek subtitles for Elizabeth and once i change all the relevant file names and what not, and start to play the file, the Greek subtitles which are suppose to appear do not. What actually appears is another language or just some odd shapes (I'm guessing the latter), i have no idea what it is, but it is definitely not Greek.

Can anyone help please?

I've downloaded from a few sites, and the Greek subtitles always seem to come out the same.

Edit: I think i've sorted worked out how to get greek subtitles, the problem now is that, they are well out of synced. It is out of sync for a couple of movies, which is weird as only a few months ago i watched a couple of films and the subtitles (in english were perfect)...have i messed something up whilst trying to convert the language to greek?

Plz someone help me out...

LeapinLar

Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:23 pm

The sync of the sub with the movie depends on which release of the film and which release of the sub you are using. Just because one movie/sub combination (in English, for example) is synced, does not mean that another movie/sub combination (in Greek, for example) would be synced. The submaker makes the sub to sync with a specific release of the film and it may or may not work with other releases. The release it is made for is usually listed in the information with the sub. Make sure you have matched the sub with the right release.

It is possible with some players to adjust the sync a little to help match better.

theone11

Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:42 pm

-----
Last edited by theone11 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theone11

Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:43 pm

The sync of the sub with the movie depends on which release of the film and which release of the sub you are using. Just because one movie/sub combination (in English, for example) is synced, does not mean that another movie/sub combination (in Greek, for example) would be synced. The submaker makes the sub to sync with a specific release of the film and it may or may not work with other releases. The release it is made for is usually listed in the information with the sub. Make sure you have matched the sub with the right release.

It is possible with some players to adjust the sync a little to help match better.
Cheers for the reply.

I have downloaded numerous Greek subtitles for Elizabeth and not one match the video. (which is Elizabeth_DVDRip_X264_fil.avi btw).

Could you possibly tell me how to sync it up using VLC?

Would be greatly appreciated.

LeapinLar

Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:41 am

theone11,

Down at the bottom of VLC is a set of boxes. The last one on the right is "Extended settings". Click on that. That opens the "Adjustments and Effects" box. Select "Syncronization". That lets you adjust the subtitles over video sync + or - . That will help if the whole sub is just off from the movie by a fixed amount. If the sub was created for a 25fps movie and your movie is 23.976fps, or vice versa it's a lot more difficult to sync. I suppose you could speed up or slow down the sub, but I have never tried that.

I did some looking and there is no way of knowing what that sub was created for because the uploader did not list it. And I looked up your release and it is no longer available so I don't know what fps it is.

Sorry.

theone11

Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:03 pm

theone11,

Down at the bottom of VLC is a set of boxes. The last one on the right is "Extended settings". Click on that. That opens the "Adjustments and Effects" box. Select "Syncronization". That lets you adjust the subtitles over video sync + or - . That will help if the whole sub is just off from the movie by a fixed amount. If the sub was created for a 25fps movie and your movie is 23.976fps, or vice versa it's a lot more difficult to sync. I suppose you could speed up or slow down the sub, but I have never tried that.

I did some looking and there is no way of knowing what that sub was created for because the uploader did not list it. And I looked up your release and it is no longer available so I don't know what fps it is.

Sorry.
Cheers mate, you're a ledge! I adjusted the sync and it seems to be all in order now, the subtitles come and go a bit quick at times in long convo's, but i guess ill just have to make do.

Thanks again!

theone11

Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:29 pm

ah, thought it had worked, now the subtitles seems to be all over the place again and sometimes when i play it they all together disappear.

I've noticed they come 8 secs before the actual time they are suppose to come. When i put it 7 secs forward it seems to work fine (although delayed) but when i put it to 8secs, it always works fine for the first 2 mins then for some reason the subtitles just disappear all together and don't come back up again...

Return to “General talk”