Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
DrDDT

RSS based auto download tool?

Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:01 pm

Hi!

Is there a tool around that does the same for subtitles as for example the Vuze 'RSS Feed Scanner' does for torrents?

For a lot of the more popular TV series that can be downloaded via eztv or vtv, a few days later a matching subtitle is released.

It would be nice to pick that up using another RSS scanner, parsing subtitle RSS feeds and downloading automatically.

Yougli

Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:31 pm

This is the kind of app I would need too, and I would like to work on. Is there any RSS feed that could be used for this purpose?
A feed that would also give the hashes of the movies/series?

DrDDT

Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:19 pm

This is the kind of app I would need too, and I would like to work on. Is there any RSS feed that could be used for this purpose?
A feed that would also give the hashes of the movies/series?
If you have the exact release name, why would you need the hash?

For example, this RSS entry has all the info you need:

Code: Select all

Released as: Crusoe.S01E06.HDTV.XviD-LOL; Format: srt; Uploaded at 2008-12-02 Download: http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/download/sub/3379240 Read more Media link type: application/zip, size: 53Kb
So, the app could do the following:

- Monitor a directory, or list of directories for movie files.
- Check every rss entry with the existing movie files without subs.
- Download any new missing subs.

The example above would look for Crusoe.S01E06.HDTV.XviD-LOL.avi and save the sub as Crusoe.S01E06.HDTV.XviD-LOL.srt.

Of course this would need some finetuning, but could be usefull.

Yougli

Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:46 pm

Of course, I could work with filenames, but they tend to be less accurate than hashes, as they can be modified by users.
I usually change the naming of my favorite series episodes to add the episode title, for instance.

If there is no RSS with hashes, another solution would be to query the XML-RPC API every, say, 10 min to check for new subtitles. But I would rather use a feed :p

DrDDT

Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:27 pm

For the people (like me) who do not rename the original file, the name matching would be a good start.

Problem with hashes is, that not all subtitles are hashed. The tool would be especially useful for the newest subtitles without hash.

For the hashed subtitles, you can use a tool like oscar.

DrDDT

Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:37 pm

Can anyone recommend a RSS library or tool which I can use?

I would require the following:

- RSS Feed parser
- Regex parsing of retrieved page to find subtitle with description.
- Download found URL.

Thanks.

Return to “Developing”