Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
oss
Site Admin

Re: OpenSubtitles-Uploader (Windows/Linux/OSX)

Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:06 am

thanks for update. it is tested on all OSes, so I can promote it a bit more (instead of Java uploader maybe?)

vankasteelj

Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:34 am

I still see 2 minor issues (some weird css in the IMDB search bar that makes the search icon slightly go over the text), and the "upgrade" link not working (opens the file explorer instead of the browser on github). Maybe wait for 1.1.1 that i'll release soon ?

It's untested on OSX. I just know it opens and that login works, I don't own a mac so I haven't tried anything more. There's no reason it wouldn't work though, javascript is pretty handy about multiplatform.

Gautier

Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:03 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the programme doesn't seem to check if you have filled out the language of the subtitle. Trying to upload a file without a populated language field, I get a rather undescriptive "Opensubtitles is temporarily unavailable, please retry in a little while".

Whilst you're at it, you may also want to verify if the programme checks the presence of an IMDB ID as well. Haven't tested to upload a film without filling out the ID.

oss
Site Admin

Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:07 am

I tested it now on OSX, yes, language detection have a problem and can not be even updated.

Another thing, it would be great, if you know already IMDBID, you will show the moviename, movieyear and maybe movie cover, so user will be sure he is uploading it to right Movie (because sometimes it can be wrong).

I would not allow to edit FPS, Total Time in ms, and Number of frames.

Maybe on one side I would put all fields which one can not edit and other side data, which is possible to edit...

thx

Gautier

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:13 am

Another thing, once an upload has been completed, there's a text balloon saying "upload succesful" or whatever. Would it be possible to add a link to the subtitle one just uploaded? It helps one to verify everything was successfully uploaded and/or allows one to make some last corrections.

vankasteelj

Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:16 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the programme doesn't seem to check if you have filled out the language of the subtitle. Trying to upload a file without a populated language field, I get a rather undescriptive "Opensubtitles is temporarily unavailable, please retry in a little while".
If it says "os is unavailable", it's that the server sent back 503: varnish cache server, or the code for maintainance. You don't have to input the language for the subtitle, OS will autodetect it if you don't input it. (and it gets it right 99.9% of the time, it's using a similar autodetection as the one I'm using)
Whilst you're at it, you may also want to verify if the programme checks the presence of an IMDB ID as well. Haven't tested to upload a film without filling out the ID.
Same goes for the IMDB. If not provided, OS will try to match your file. Sadly, it's not really accurate and sometimes gives totally wrong ID.
Another thing, it would be great, if you know already IMDBID, you will show the moviename, movieyear and maybe movie cover, so user will be sure he is uploading it to right Movie (because sometimes it can be wrong).
I could scrape imdb, yes, but it would take some time, as IMDB doesn't have an API. It's doable though, sure.
I tested it now on OSX, yes, language detection have a problem and can not be even updated.
Could you use ctrl+D, or cmd+D, or apple+D (idk which on mac), then go in the "console" tab of the debugger, and report if you see errors (in red) when trying to autodetect language? Without that info, there isn't much I can do :( Also please make sure to "expand" the error by clicking the little caret if there's one.
Last edited by vankasteelj on Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vankasteelj

Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:20 pm

Ok, I pushed some changes. Waiting for bug report to release 1.2 though, language detection shouldn't fail.

1) change the little notification by a complete modal, allowing to:
-- warn the user if imdb is lacking, he can then choose to upload without imdb, or go back to search for one
-- open the uploaded sub page in a browser
-- clear the app

2) corrected the search icon in the imdb-search popup not to overlay text

3) auto-detect language on subtitle drop

4) remove the possibility to edit fps/frame/timems

5) corrected the textarea that could be resized and overlay other stuff

6) the 'read only' items are now more visible as read-only (use of italic and slightly brighter grey)

----------

As for the metadata, it's already there: there's a little "i" info-icon on the imdb field, you can hover it to display info, or click on it to be redirected to imdb directly (in a browser)

oss
Site Admin

Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:11 am

I tested more 1.1.0 some small issues:

- language detect (when I press auto detect icon) tell me: not conclusive enough (even it was right detection), but maybe threshold was low?
- when I have in directory:

Code: Select all

1.avi 1.cs.srt
or

Code: Select all

1.avi 1.cze.srt
it should detect subtitles, not only if name 100% matches. If there are more subtitles, then it could be problem (1.en.srt and 1.cs.srt)

- if you can not find anything for imdb, you can use our xmlrpc: http://trac.opensubtitles.org/projects/ ... vieDetails

once is imdb id set (detected, user inserted), I would put there moviename and movieyear, so user could see it, not on small info icon. it is important information.

Also upload icon would be better to have down, user fill video, subtitle and then upload, so workflow is set...

we are getting there, I would like to test another version and then publish it.

Gautier

Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:49 pm

Same goes for the IMDB. If not provided, OS will try to match your file. Sadly, it's not really accurate and sometimes gives totally wrong ID.
Oss, why is this happening? Wrongly assigned subtitles are one of the single biggest problems on OS. If an uploader can't even be bothered to fill out the correct IMDB id, he shouldn't even be uploading subtitles in the first place.

vankasteelj

Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:06 am

language detect (when I press auto detect icon) tell me: not conclusive enough (even it was right detection), but maybe threshold was low?
I reduced the treshold to 35% match (from 45%). All my tests in french and spanish worked great with 45%, but english seems a little bit harder to detect (although I also tested it and did not encounter issues back then, some strings are just apparently harder to detect)
it should detect subtitles, not only if name 100% matches.
I added that, great idea.
once is imdb id set (detected, user inserted), I would put there moviename and movieyear, so user could see it, not on small info icon. it is important information.
That's absolutely not thought for in the UI, the information button really is there to inform further. The auto-detected imdb id is 99.9% good for itself, if it's the result from a search, then it's also correct, and finally if it's manually inputed, then the person knows what he/she's doing and can look at that icon info. Including TMI is bad, and I really don't see the issue with the current implementation.

What I did do, however, was double-check that info to display the exact "title (year)" for movies and "serie s0Xe0X episode_title (year)" for series.
Also upload icon would be better to have down, user fill video, subtitle and then upload, so workflow is set...
Meh. It was designed by me, for me. The idea is to limit the mouse mouvements and eye-jumps by making the:

- filling information: from up to down
- verifying information: from down to up
- click easy when verifying is done

-------

I'll be releasing 1.2.0

vankasteelj

Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:19 am

Version 1.2.0 is here: https://github.com/vankasteelj/opensubt ... /tag/1.2.0

But... I think there's an issue with MediaInfo.

@oss (or anyone with a mac) can you check when you drop a video into the app if the FPS/Frames/Total Time are set (on OSX) ?

I know it works on Windows.
It doesn't on linux, but I found the issue.
Now I want to know if OSX has the same issue as linux (which is probable)

oss
Site Admin

Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:58 am

I tested v1.2.0, I have media info installed and it was working also before. All info mentioned (FPS, time, frames) are filled. I am not sure how it acts, when mediainfo is not installed...should I try it ?

I think it is ready for release, so I will try to change a bit website and also write blog (in future) about this nice tool.

Thanks.

vankasteelj

Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:22 pm

Whether you have it installed or not, it'll make no difference, so it works on mac. Great, thanks :)

oss
Site Admin

Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:19 pm

I just publish this app to public, there is download link and message at upload form

http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/upload

I hope people will start using it.

Return to “Programs using OS”