Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.

Do you like idea of Subdownloader?

Yes, it is excellent
90%
No, I will use website anyway
10%

Total votes: 312
eduo

Re: The Drag and Drop files in the search window ?

Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:28 am

The Drag and Drop doesn't seem to work in the search window. is that normal ?

anyway, keep up the good work guys, it is excellent !!
Did that ever work? I've always used the buttons for file and folder.
yeap ! used to work in the 1.2.4 version if my memory is correct.
what's the point to have such "windows" and graphic OS and wonderful mouse devices if not using it ? :wink:
I dont know - I never use drag and drop feature in programs :) we will ask capiscuas. He is now movin from WX to QT, changing GUI etc. I think next version should be 2.0
euhh..excuse my french but what is WX and QT ? :oops:
WX and QT are graphical toolkits. No need to worry on that. OS is just saying that the one that would know is Capiscuas, the developer.

On drag and drop I'm on a mac, so I use drag and drop a LOT. But I launch SubDownloader only when I need to look for subs and I have them all organized, so it's actually faster for me to open from SD than to fish the file in the file explorer and then drag to its window.

The only thing I could see drag and drop useful for is for processing a lot of disparate files from different directories (the GUI right now only lets you choose either a directory or a specific file).

What I'd really like was for SD to have a setting to ignore all files if there are subs already downloaded.

This is all moot for me, as the newer version of SD will probably only run in Windows (if I remember correctly).

capiscuas

new QT

Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:46 am

hello, everybody, the new version of subdownloader, 2.0 (following Brano's suggerence) it will have drag and drop in the search window.

QT will run cross-plaform, not only windows. One of the reasons to move to QT is that the old WX libraries had a bad support on their linux side and made tha app crash some times with the threads and wx, etc.

Next version will change the interface, it will have a simplified window, with a TREE FOLDERS in the left side, to choose the folder where ur divx are. When u select any folder, in the right side it will start automatically searching all the divx inside that folder(and recursively)

---------
Once searched, in the right side will show a list with the DIVX and the subtitles founded, if any of the subtitles that he founds it's already in that folder(we downloaded before), then he will put a different background to it.
--------
At the end of the list I will show all the subtitles detected that we don't have hashed yet.
That way Upload and Download can be done from the same window and that will be simplier for the user. Before they confused with the Select AVI and Select Avi's Folder buttons.

I wait for your comments and suggerences.

oss
Site Admin

Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:56 am

very nice features :) I agree, there should be some option to ignore movies with subtitles (one checkbox should be ok) - it doesn't even start search.
Also some caching algo should be ok, I think it should work like we wrote somewhere:
1. make crc-like file in each directory for movies
2. make crc-like file in subdownloaders directory.

In that way it should be really fast...

I can't wait for 2.0:)

eduo

Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:56 am

very nice features :) I agree, there should be some option to ignore movies with subtitles (one checkbox should be ok) - it doesn't even start search.
Also some caching algo should be ok, I think it should work like we wrote somewhere:
1. make crc-like file in each directory for movies
2. make crc-like file in subdownloaders directory.

In that way it should be really fast...

I can't wait for 2.0:)
I'm not sure I'm ok with calling a new version "2.0" (to me it's actually a new program, not a new version) but I don't care that much, really. As long as it works it can be called 1.2.9.0.1.

The ideas for improving the program sound marvelous. I'd also improve the "preview" part so subtitles can be checked (and reported if wrong right away) before online.

Skipping of already-downloaded subtitles should be a preference checkbox, yes. Same as with caching (I move a lot of files around, a cache wouldn't know what's actually in there).

This all looks very nice. I'm anxious to test it :)

capiscuas

Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:46 am

I prefer to call it 2.0 due to the big change on the Interface and libraries, also code structure.

The cache and preview features look very interesting.

eduo

Re: 2.0

Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:59 pm

I prefer to call it 2.0 due to the big change on the Interface and libraries, also code structure.

The cache and preview features look very interesting.
Ok, you're right. If the name will be kept and the interface and programming language will change radically it's earned a whole new version number :)

With preview I really meant something like the current functionality (although the current implementation doesn't really work cross-platform) where you can select one of the search results for preview in a selected player (having it embedded in the application may not be worth it). It'd be important to have #IFDEF for the different platforms, though. The current implementation doesn't really work.

jarabito

problem with the names of the files...

Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:01 am

mmmm the idea behind the program is great but something that's been missing... (sorry for my english, I am spanish spoken) ...

Let me explain with this example, the file: "the_west_wing.1x01.premiere.ac3.dvdrip_xvid-fov.avi", but I know that the same file (or tv episode) maybe to stay with diferent names on the net... and diferent hashes because it came from diferent people that ripped the same movie/tv-series from tv or DVD, and if the subtitles aren`t well sincronized, I can sincronize it later with the "subtitle workshop", from urusoft...

Another examples:
"The 4400 - 4x04 - The truth and nothing but the truth by sanchitos 2" or: "The.4400.S04E04.DSR.XviD-ORENJI" (names of the files that I saw for this file) may be these files, are the same, but the program only let me browse for the EXACT NAME of the file, and NOT type only "4400" and let me pick the (one o more) subtitles that are useful for me (sorted by date) ... in this case, the soft perhaps never found a subtitle (because this file has very different names in the net) and the name that I have is not the same that are in opensubtitles now.

I want to say that a movie or tv show can be the same, no matter if the name of the file, the file himself (and the hash) are diferent... the computers do not watch the movies that we like ;-) they look only for the files that have the audiovisual contents...

And more, I ever rename the files as: "01x01-westwing.avi" and so on, because my dvd player (that let me watch them on TV) only recognizes the first letters of the name.. If I rename the files BEFORE the search, the soft will maybe unable of find a subtitle, no matter the hash maybe...

I think that the soft needs a "search box" or the names that it picks from the files, would be more "generic" or that I can take only a part from the name of the file...

The program is very AMAZING, but seems to me that without these functionality not works for me (and maybe, another people...)

eduo

Re: problem with the names of the files...

Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:42 pm

mmmm the idea behind the program is great but something that's been missing... (sorry for my english, I am spanish spoken) ...
No problem. English is not the first language of most here. Otherwise we wouldn't be as interested in most of these subtitles.
Let me explain with this example, the file: "the_west_wing.1x01.premiere.ac3.dvdrip_xvid-fov.avi", but I know that the same file (or tv episode) maybe to stay with diferent names on the net... and diferent hashes because it came from diferent people that ripped the same movie/tv-series from tv or DVD, and if the subtitles aren`t well sincronized, I can sincronize it later with the "subtitle workshop", from urusoft...
One quick clarification:
If you have different hashes then you have different files.

You can't confuse the hash with a specific movie or filename. A Hash is a unique identifier for a file. The contents of the file are irrelevant.

If you have a .mpg of a movie and a .avi of a movie it doesn't matter if it's the same movie. The hashes will be different and they will refer to two different files.

It's important to be clear about this or it can lead to some of the confusion you have.

Your first example doesn't show any problem, just misunderstanding.
Another examples:
"The 4400 - 4x04 - The truth and nothing but the truth by sanchitos 2" or: "The.4400.S04E04.DSR.XviD-ORENJI" (names of the files that I saw for this file) may be these files, are the same, but the program only let me browse for the EXACT NAME of the file, and NOT type only "4400" and let me pick the (one o more) subtitles that are useful for me (sorted by date) ... in this case, the soft perhaps never found a subtitle (because this file has very different names in the net) and the name that I have is not the same that are in opensubtitles now.
SubDownload is a program especifically made to search for hashes, not filenames. You can only search by using a file to be hashed.

This is not a bug or an error. This is like this by design. If you want to search by name then you have to use the webpage. If you want to search by hash you have to use SubDownloader. This is so as to be able to have some sort of ads and banners that could pay for the service you enjoy for free.

SubDownloader makes it easier to search on the web allowing you to right-clic on a file without subtitles and search by name on the webpage.

If you want to search by your own name then you use opensubtitles.org directly.

Remember, SubDownloader doesn't care about the name of your files. I rename all my files as soon as I get them. SubDownloader searches by hash (which is unique in each file).
I want to say that a movie or tv show can be the same, no matter if the name of the file, the file himself (and the hash) are diferent... the computers do not watch the movies that we like ;-) they look only for the files that have the audiovisual contents...
You misunderstand how SubDownloader works, clearly. This is not a bad thing but it leads to all sorts of misconceptions.

These is the intended process, so you can understand better how it all works:

1.-You get a new file (movie, tv program, etc.). You can rename it or move it to a specific directory.
2.-You run SubDownloader on it.
2.a.-You get one or several subtitles for it. You select one (for each language if you download more than one) and download.
2.b.-You don't get any subtitles. In this case you:
3.-right-click on the file without subtitles and select to search for it in the website.
4.-From the results in opensubtitles.org you see if any seems to belong to your file. You download and test it.
5.-If it works then you upload it using SubDownloader so others can benefit from your work.

Also, if you adapt subtitles so they work with your files you should also upload these for others to benefit as well.

We can talk about this in spanish if you prefer, but you need to create a new post in the spanish forums and let me know about it.
And more, I ever rename the files as: "01x01-westwing.avi" and so on, because my dvd player (that let me watch them on TV) only recognizes the first letters of the name.. If I rename the files BEFORE the search, the soft will maybe unable of find a subtitle, no matter the hash maybe...
Again. You misunderstand how hashes work.

The ONLY thing SubDownloader uses to search for subtitles is the moviehash and the bytesize. It doesn't matter where the file is or what's its name.
I think that the soft needs a "search box" or the names that it picks from the files, would be more "generic" or that I can take only a part from the name of the file...
That's what the website is for. You go and search manually if SubDownloader can't find anything. It's not hard to implement a search box, but Opensubtitles.org lives through banners and advertising (or did you donate to it?) and these only show in the webpages.
The program is very AMAZING, but seems to me that without these functionality not works for me (and maybe, another people...)
You're free then to move to a better alternative, if you can find any. Let us know what else is there that does so much for automation of subtitle downloads.

oss
Site Admin

Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:49 am

eduo - this was best answer I've seen. I give you ++ :)

eduo

Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:21 pm

eduo - this was best answer I've seen. I give you ++ :)
No problem. Feel free to use it elsewhere if the question comes back again.

I know 2.0 is in development but I feel some kind of official page should be made for it. Some of these questions could be answered in the program's page, which in turn could point here.

I'm not sure what the plans are for SubDownloader but I think it deserves a proper home in a webpage which should be a "sister" page to OpenSubtitles. Both work great together (although, admittedly, SD *requires* OS to exist). As it stands now it's hard to know SD exists, even if you already know about OS.

Also, I think giving more publicity to SD would mean more use of OS as well.

The RedBurn

Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:10 pm

In case it wasn't already reported :
When uploading a sub, when I search for the ID (the movie is Love Actually) I get only one result :
0228391: "Love Actually (2003) aka "Love Actually Is All Around" - UK (working title), USA (working title)
Other Results
Titles (Partial Matches) (Displaying 1 Result) 1.Actually, Adieu My Love (2008) Titles (Approx Matches) (Displaying 9 Results) 1.Bummm! (2006) aka "Life Actually" - (English title) 2.Leunig: How Democracy Actually Works (2002) 3.Sa mori ranit din dragoste de viata (1983) aka "Fatally Injured by Love of Life" 4.School for Scoundrels (1960) aka "School for Scoundrels or How to Win Without Actually Cheating!" - UK (long title) 5.Histoires d'amour finissent mal... en général, Les (1993) aka "Love Affairs Usually End Badly" 6.Look at All the Love We Found: A Tribute to Sublime (2006) (V) 7.A Class Picture of the CCAC Film Class of '65 Actually Taught by Bruce Conner in the Tradition of Lumière (1965) 8.Totally Outrageous Love (2001) (TV) 9.Hold 'er Sheriff (1931)"
This looks like the result returned from the website's ID lookup tool (when entering Love Actually) but with the ID from the last result and all combined in one result.

ryo_sak

you have a bug in the program

Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:43 pm

I uploaded a subtitle for "Sex and lucia", filled all the details correctly, and the subtitle uploaded under a completely different movie. see here:
http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtitl ... ucia-el-he

ixquic

Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:23 pm

ryo_sak and The RedBurn: I think this has been mentioned before, it's a known bug. IMDb doesn't have a public API (interface for other programs), so the data have to be collected from the webpages. Everytime they change the layout of their pages, your code can break. I've experienced this several times with the IMDb interface I wrote for my home movie database.

If subdownloader doesn't return the right IMDb number (incorrect title/poster is shown after save), you can find the movie on IMDb ( http://us.imdb.com/find?q=[i]the+movie+title[/i];s=tt ), copy the IMDb number from the address bar, and then insert the number in subdownloader's IMDb search field. For example http://us.imdb.com/find?q=sex+and+lucia;s=tt redirects to http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0254455/ => enter 254455 in the IMDb search field, hit "Search" again and it should show the right movie.

mess_enger_guy

Subdownloader crashes on start

Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:32 pm

Hello friends, I am using the linux version of SubDownloader on CentOS 5 linux. When I start the program, the main window appears and then crashes :(

It gives me the following error:

File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_gdi.py", line 5972, in Add
return _gdi_.ImageList_Add(*args, **kwargs)
wx._core.PyAssertionError: C++ assertion "(bitmap.GetWidth() >= m_width && bitmap.GetHeight() == m_height) || (m_width == 0 && m_height == 0)" failed at ../src/generic/imaglist.cpp(69) in Add(): invalid bitmap size in wxImageList: this might work on this platform but definitely won't under Windows.

Has anybody come across this problem? Please help me out here.

mrQQ

Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:04 am

does not work :(

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last): File "SubDownloader.py", line 396, in ? File "wx\_core.pyo", line 7748, in __init__ File "wx\_core.pyo", line 7345, in _BootstrapApp File "SubDownloader.py", line 368, in OnInit File "SubDownloader.py", line 105, in LoadPreferences File "SubDownloader.py", line 177, in ChooseInitialLanguage ValueError: list.index(x): x not in list
:(

Return to “Programs using OS”