Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
fnl

more useful default result order: downloaded

Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:02 pm

Well, that ^^

I always use the most downloaded sub, as that in 99% of all cases is the file I want. I believe I am not alone with this UX. It would be nice if the site would by default sort all results by number of downloads.

Cheers,
flo

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: more useful default result order: downloaded

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:17 pm

Many people use "most downloaded" as guideline to choose. But often this is just the oldest subtitle and in that sense the newer ones will have a greater chance of being 'better' (spelling corrections, timings, etc.)
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

fnl

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:45 pm

Well, my opinion and experience is the contrary: the less downloads, the worse the subtitle.

oss
Site Admin

Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:39 am

SmallBorther is right, there is first versions of subtitles, which are uploaded, normally they got OCR errors and are poor. Users will download those subtitles. Then better quality subtitles come and they will never got so much downloads when sorting by downloads. It makes sense to order it by upload date. Of course the best would be order them by combining few parameters - upload date, downloads, rating of subtitles, number of votes, rank of uploader and so on.

eduo

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:20 pm

SolEol at the moment does a weighted ranking based on several factors. Rating (7-8 add a point, 1-3 substract 3 points, 1,4-6 and 10 are ignored), and age (actually, I extend download number over age, which gives a fairer chance to newer subs) are two of them, as are specific flags. Most of each add points to what the final score ends up being.

So far the algorithm has worked OK. People don't usually complain, at least.

I don't auto-select subs when searching by name because the results are usually *too fuzzy* and they come from too many titles to be useable. Making the search a lot less fuzzy and supporting search by moviefilename would help a lot here.

Probably what helps the most, though, is user ratings. I keep insisting that it'd be much better to implement "+1" and "-1" ratings rather than the current "0-10" one. People know if they liked or disliked a subtitle, but nobody would agree on what a grade of "8" would mean in a subtitle rating.

In the end, though, it's trivial to order by whatever criteria you wish. Since we get download counts, what use is getting API results already ordered? I'd rather have them faster unordered.
http://eduo.info/
[url=http://eduo.info/soleol/]OpenSubtitles from your desktop: SolEol for Mac/Windows/Linux[/url]
[url=http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php?showtopic=325&st=0&p=2480&#entry2480]My current episode processing work flow[/url].

Return to “Developing”