SubDownloader official webpage SubDownloader.netSubDownloader 2.1.0
- downloadHelp to translate SubDownloader into your language.SubDownloader
is a unique programme designed to easily locate, match and download subtitles for the videos you have using API
The need for exact matching has been felt by everyone who uses subtitles. Most movies have multiple versions in circulation due to different releases for different markets and different edits for different purposes. The subs created for one version often will not synchronise with the audio track for another version. This problem is compounded by the fact that same movies exist under different names with minor or major variations. The resulting mismatches can be very frustrating.
SubDownloader works with OpenSubtitles.org to maintain a database of subtitles matched to specific versions of movies. You will find an exact match as the programme uses a special moviehash
check to match a movie file to a subtitles file which has been up-loaded to the database using the same programme. The database is ever-expanding and the more you and others use it the more useful it will become for the community of subtitles users.Please try it today. Find subtitles you need and upload good quality subtitles you may have so that others can benefit. Even if a subtitle file already exists on Opensubtitles.org, please upload it using SubDownloader so that the database will connect it to the movie version that you have got with its specific hash, fps, file size, time duration etc.The main features of the programme are:
- finds exact match
- can search and download subtitles for 1 movie or whole directories -
- can upload subtitles to the database, it is so simple anyone can do it
- fast hashing and search
- works with Windows / Linux / MacOS
- no spyware, malware or adware User FAQ:How do I get started?
Windows users download the installer file from the link at the top of this page or here
and install. MacOS users follow this link
and Linux users follow this link
. After installing set the preferences including login name etc. if you are registered with OpenSubtitles.
When you start the programme you will see the following:
The top tabs offer the choice to “search by video file” (default), “search by movie name” or “upload subtitles”. The left panel shows the drive/directory tree on your system.How does the program work?
You first configure the programme to your preferences under menu item "Settings" the most important of which is the language or languages of the subtitles you want to search.
Then you can start with the "Search by Video" tab. Select a whole directory or a specific movie. If you select a directory the programme will identify all video files in that directory and display the list of video files in that directory/folder in the right hand panel. The programme then takes off as follows:
1. SubDownloader applies to each video file a moviehash function getting a unique 64 bit string.
2. It submits this string to an online subtitles database with a request to match.
3. It displays the subtitles found along with each movie.
4. You select the subtitle file or files you want and download by clicking the “Download” button.
In this process the name of the movie is not important. So if you rename your movie, you will still find the same subtitles too, as long as the contents of file are not changed. SubDownloader did not find subtitles for my movie XXX! Does it mean you don't have subtitles for XXX on your website?
No, it means, subtitles for movie XXX was not uploaded with SubDownloader and therefore not matched to the movie version you have. They could be on the OpenSubtitles website.
1. Change the tab on top to “search by movie name”.
2. Enter the movie name and click search, locate and download manually.
3. Please help the community - check it out and if you are satisfied about its quality and fit, upload it with SubDownloader. The more people do this the more useful the site will be for the entire community.
post your problem in this thread or fill out a bug report here
Author of the instructions: a m spock