Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
Patejl

Subdownloader - extension of Czech subtitles should be CZ

Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:50 pm

I propose to change the extension of Czech subtitles from CS to CZ. The CZ extension is standard and there is no substantiation for CS.

oss
Site Admin

Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:21 pm

sorry, you are wrong. check in slovak forum, why slo is used for slovak language. Also check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-2_codes

We are using language codes (what is right), not codes of countries (what is wrong - iso3166)

So CS is for Czech subtitles.

Patejl

Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:32 pm

Thank you for the explanation and I apologize for the confusion. It seems I was accustomed to a wrong codes (similarly as many Czechs use the word "Czech" in a wrong way). After all, I would prefer the usage of Alpha-3 codes (e.g. ENG for English), though I guess it's too late to consider any changes.

oss
Site Admin

Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:20 am

nope, internally application uses 3-letter codes, but we had to convert that to 2-letter codes. Myabe in OSCAR you can setup if you want use 2 or 3 letter codes. Anyway, we had big troubles explain to some people why we use SLO for Slovak subtitles...just read slovak forum here :)

Patejl

Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:19 am

Well, I fully understand why you do use ISO 639-2 codes. As I said, I was wrong with a proposal of CZ code. Yet, if the 3-letter code (CZE) would have been used, I wouldn't have been mistaken most likely. I consider 3-letter codes to be more intuitive. Why don't you use these, even when internally you do? What is the advantage of 2-letter code?

oss
Site Admin

Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:23 am

we can use both, it really doesnt matter. But I mean and I think, more people knows 2 char codes. You can read more about SLOvak confusion here:
viewtopic.php?t=26

Anyway, this is not really problem, just setup this in OSCAR:
http://trac.opensubtitles.org/projects/ ... _setup.avi

Patejl

Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:38 pm

Thanks for the recommendation! I've been using Subdownloader so far.

In case of using 2 char code of Czech, a lot of people know the wrong one (CZ instead of CS). In case of English I feel the "ENG" to be more common than the "EN". That's the reason why I think 3 char codes would be less problematic.

oss
Site Admin

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:51 pm

yes, but Slovak people thinks SLO is not for Slovakian language, so it doesn't matter which we will use, there will be always someone, who thinks thats wrong.

viewtopic.php?t=26

Patejl

Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:54 pm

I understand that there is no ideal option. I just think that number of misapprehensions will be decreased, if longer codes are used. Generally, those short ones are easier to be mistaken.

Return to “Programs using OS”