Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
zapman

Lines not shown in an SRT file

Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:37 am

Hi guys,

I had to keep my fingers occupied so I translated a nice little srt file. The problem I noticed before uploading it is that, for some reason, two lines in the srt file are not shown and simply skipped (the same is also true for the original srt file I used for the translation). I tried with Totem 2.28.2, VLC 1.0.2 and Player on Ubuntu Karmic, same result. Funnily, I tried with VLC 0.8.2 on Windows Millennium and then one of the lines was shown (21), but not the second one (28). I opened and saved the file with Jubler, checked the syntax and compared with other lines, apparently there are no errors. I also tried to modify the number of characters and the delay, start and stop times for these lines, to no avail.

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be very much appreciated.

The movie in question (in xvid.avi format) is Oceania which you can download from this page (released under Creative Commons By-Nc-Sa). The subtitles with that problem are available on that page or from OS (yup, I didn't notice that in the subs in English before uploading them, sorry :/ ). The line numbers that don't appear are 21 and 28. If you don't feel like downloading 700 Mb, you can grab a 800 Kb sample of the relevant first minute of the video along with the subtitles from this temporary link (link removed since apparently there's a security problem with the site).
Last edited by zapman on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goffini

Re: Lines not shown in an SRT file

Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:59 pm

Open the srt in Subtitle Workshop...Save as Subrip.

scooby007
Site Admin

Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:34 pm

I just tried it with basic WMP and it worked fine. The lines were displayed on time. Before playing the clip, I put the subtitle through gaupol and saved it as a "subrip" and then put it through "correct text" tab. Whilst downloading, I also got a warning: "a recent threat to your computer was blocked". So after you've read and replied, this topic will be deleted.

(Didn't see goffs post there).

NetFantasy
Subtitles Admin

Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:50 pm

I have adjusted the lines 21 / 28 for visual player and saved "UTF8" not "ANSI" but you have to check the time
for 32 lines( take Subtitle Workshop )
tested with VLC, BS.Player, KMPlayer,MPC Home, and it's all ok
use my file to synch, is opened with VSS

EDIT : new link http://www.mediafire.com/?c3sl2l659lpzb8p
I changed the file, line 28 is ok
you have to watch (with workshop) the time:
you have to work on : "Show" "Hide" and "Duration" for sync
everything else is synchronized to the end.
Ok Goodbye
Last edited by NetFantasy on Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Goffini

Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:55 pm

The file is wrong, it does not open in Subsync.
Run-time error "35600"
Index out of bounds.
I told before open in Subtitle Workshop....Save as Subrip......

zapman

Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:45 pm

Whilst downloading, I also got a warning: "a recent threat to your computer was blocked". So after you've read and replied, this topic will be deleted.
Oops. The only possibility I can think of is that the temporary hosting provider had some nasty ads so I removed the link. With the NoScript and No Referrer extensions on Firefox I probably didn't see it, sorry for that. (The zip archive itself is clean, it only contains a short avi clip encoded in xvid with no sound and an srt file).
I just tried it with basic WMP and it worked fine. The lines were displayed on time. Before playing the clip, I put the subtitle through gaupol and saved it as a "subrip" and then put it through "correct text" tab.
I installed gaupol and did the same but still got the same problem. Looks like it's some weird problem on my side.
Open the srt in Subtitle Workshop...Save as Subrip.
Thanks for the advice. I did that (with Subtitle Workshop version 2.51 from urusoft) but there were no changes when I used the subs with the movie. A diff showed only some trailing space characters that Subtitle Workshop removed, all the rest was identical.
I have adjusted the lines 21 / 28 for visual player and saved "UTF8" not "ANSI" but you have to check the time for 32 lines
Thank you for the file. Interestingly, with your file line 21 is shown, but 28 is still skipped. I'm going to play a bit with the delays to see the result.

This looks sort of mystical to me so please let me ask a couple newbie questions:
  • Does the original file play correctly for you, or do you experience the same problems with lines 21 & 28?
  • Since saving the file in Subtitle Workshop made no difference on my side, may I ask for a corrected version of the file so that I can compare?

Kibemau

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:25 am

There's nothing wrong with your file as downloaded from OS.

I tested it with these players, in WinXP sp3 (using another movie):
VLC 1.0.3
KMPlayer 2.9.4.1437
MPC-HC 1.3.1249.0

Lines 21 and 28 displayed fine.

Try isolating the problematic lines to see what happens:
Make two copies of the srt.
In one of them, delete everything but line 21.
In the other, delete everything but line 28.
Test both.

arcchancellor

Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:56 am

@zapman

Try these:

http://depositfiles.com/files/stl86cd3n

and if it works, we can adopt it here on opensubtitles.org
"I don't believe in God. I just believe in Billy Wilder" - Fernando Trueba

zapman

Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:11 pm

There's nothing wrong with your file as downloaded from OS.

I tested it with these players, in WinXP sp3 (using another movie):
VLC 1.0.3
KMPlayer 2.9.4.1437
MPC-HC 1.3.1249.0

Lines 21 and 28 displayed fine.
That's good to know, thanks.
Try isolating the problematic lines to see what happens:
Make two copies of the srt.
In one of them, delete everything but line 21.
In the other, delete everything but line 28.
Test both.
In VLC and Mplayer the file containing only line 21 was displayed correctly. Line 28 wasn't displayed, however. Absolutely no idea why...
@zapman

Try these:

http://depositfiles.com/files/stl86cd3n

and if it works, we can adopt it here on opensubtitles.org
Thanks for the file. Lines 21 and 28 weren't displayed so it definitely looks like the problem is on my side. I'll try with a LiveCD of a more recent GNU/Linux distro and see if the result is still the same.

Also, sorry for the delay folks. I thought there wasn't going to be any new answers so uploaded my translation like ten days ago. My bad :/

arcchancellor

Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:11 am

I had deleted these two items in the srt and created new ones.
They contain nothing bad signs, who will mabe displayed wrong or something else.
The distance to the former and the next items is okay.

What happens when you copy only the text of these items to another one of the later items temporarily?
You see then the text or not?
"I don't believe in God. I just believe in Billy Wilder" - Fernando Trueba

Return to “General talk”