Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
Xiggy

Replacing Old Subtitles!

Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:16 pm

Apparently after submitting a subtitle I can correct any of the metadata, but I cannot update the actual subtitle except by deleting it (I gather that's what "Disable" means, though it's not explained anywhere I can see) and uploading a new version, and having to reenter all the above metadata by hand.

Why can't I "correct" the actual subtitles I have uploaded?

It's so tedious to do now that it must discourage many from bothering. Some might be annoyed that they will lose all the "download" stats of the previous version, though I don't care myself. (Or is there an award I'm missing out on...)

[Edit by SmallBrother] : It is now possible to easily update a subtitle!
Click on "Correct subtitle", then in the appearing Report Form click on "update" (next to the field with the subtitle file name). Please enter a small description of what has been changed in the new version. After uploading the new subtitle file, a version list will appear in the subtitle details page and an update icon will appear in search result lists.
Note: updates can only be done by the original/first uploader (or an admin).

Goffini

Re: replacing subs

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:47 am

It is not possible to correct subtitles directly, even I can't do it as a administrator.
I have to download the wrong subtitle, correct it and upload it again.
So learn to live with it.

Xiggy

Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:21 pm

So many won't bother. They'll just leave the old subtitle there whether they upload the corrected version separately or not, adding to the dross.

Anyway: "Disable" is quite cryptic. It doesn't mean "delete" which is what I want to do.

Let me guess:"Live with it."

Goffini

Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:00 pm

Disable means delete, so the subtitle will not be seen on the list.
Then you can upload a new one.
Only administrators can put disabled subs Online, but when there is no reason, it will be stayed:deleted.

scooby007
Site Admin

Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:11 pm

Anyway: "Disable" is quite cryptic. It doesn't mean "delete" which is what I want to do.
“Disable” is as good as deleted. This function is only available to some users for a limited amount of time after they upload, after which, you have to ask an admin to have the sub deleted. When you upload a better version, use the following method to report the inferior subtitle:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2595

Edit (14/01/2013): Read the bottom post, this feature is now available.

I guess it could be better, but I don’t think it’s a major priority. Addic7ed has the function you require, but then again they also have the subtitle editors (one of many) to accommodate and take advantage of such a function - which is also vital to the way they operate.

This has already been answered here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2172

Xiggy

Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:46 am

“Disable” is as good as deleted.
I'll take your word for it, but it's not obvious or explained anywhere in the page that I can see.

I guess it could be better, but I don’t think it’s a major priority. Addic7ed has the function you require, but then again they also have the subtitle editors (one of many) to accommodate and take advantage of such a function - which is also vital to the way they operate.
-- Had a look at Addic7ed, interesting interface, but they have far fewer subs available.

But I wasn't talking about editing the subtitle via web interface -- I'd hate to do that. I have my own tools -- and for the kind of minor text corrections I'm talking about, I just use Ultraedit, a general text editor.

I just want to replace the new version without having to 1) notify someone and ask them to remove the old version and 2) reenter all the little details and description -- which are exactly the same as the previous version.

So instead of 10 seconds this becomes a tedious chore, wasting my time and and an admin's, and maybe I'll do it. maybe I'll just think it's not worth the hassle to correct two words, which is what my last correction was, which after all benefits other users and the site.

But I can see no one here with the power to implement this cares, the site gets better stats by having more subtitles, not better ones, many users probably are indifferent to the quality anyway. I'm used to downloading several subs looking for ones that aren't full of obvious typos or machine translated gibberish, then even with the "best" one spending a half-hour spellchecking and cleaning it up.

scooby007
Site Admin

Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:11 pm

I'll take your word for it, but it's not obvious or explained anywhere in the page that I can see.
I guess there should be a dummies guide to it, I myself had my doubts about this feature when I first came onboard, but I guess you’ll grow to ignore it and love it as I do. :D
-- Had a look at Addic7ed, interesting interface, but they have far fewer subs available.

Yes, they mostly cater for TV/series not movies, but like I said they also have the willing workforce to interact with an uploaded subtitle, which might I add, we don’t and even if we did - it wouldn’t really benefit the majority of the visitors here (simple economics: supply and demand). Why implement a change that benefit’s the minority when there are other tasks that can benefit the wider community which should obviously take precedence over miniscule demands.
So instead of 10 seconds this becomes a tedious chore, wasting my time and and an admin's, and maybe I'll do it. maybe I'll just think it's not worth the hassle to correct two words, which is what my last correction was, which after all benefits other users and the site.
It’s also hard for the admin, because he’ll have to download your version and the one you want deleted for verification (once you‘ve made the report). If they don’t give it another thought, why anyone else. Let’s face it, this system would benefit an admin more than any other, especially since they don’t get paid and what they do is out of their free time and good will for the community that never even thanks/appreciates them (now that process is "tedious" and they do it for free, too). Note: A bad thing about implementing such an idea: People who usually edit subtitles also add their credits to the subtitle (regardless of whether they should or not) and this feature will enable some people to unjustly add/change credits to their liking (such people do exist) and there will be no way to monitor devious activities such as this.

I personally think you’re being pernickety. The desire/passion for quality subtitles is a good thing, but doing the above infrequently isn’t really rocket science, especially for one or two subtitles per day or week. It‘s not like you‘re wading through 100’s of subtitles a week and it becomes “tedious” for you to do so.

I hope it was as easy as you want it to be, but for now I’m sure we can succumb to the current version. :cry:

PS… new ideas are appreciated and I urge all admins to respond to the forum “Admin homepage” for what they would like to see changed or implemented into a new version of open subtitles (you can also carry forward requests of users in the past).

@ Xiggy… who knows, this feature may appear yet, but don't hold your breath. :D

Xiggy

Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:43 pm

It’s also hard for the admin, because he’ll have to download your version and the one you want deleted for verification (once you‘ve made the report). If they don’t give it another thought, why anyone else.
Yes, I said that. It wastes EVERYONE's time.
Note: A bad thing about implementing such an idea: People who usually edit subtitles also add their credits to the subtitle (regardless of whether they should or not) and this feature will enable some people to unjustly add/change credits to their liking (such people do exist) and there will be no way to monitor devious activities such as this.
Well, I thought it a given that only the original uploader should be able to do this.

I already find that there are multiple duplicates of every subtitle I look at -- I might download 6 subs, to find they all have the same stupid errors.

And this is a feature you might implement: check if a sub dupes an existing one and if found, bounce it.

Of course the "devious" ones could make some inconsequential changes if they were doing this deliberately, but those who are just trying to be helpful in uploading can get a warning that it already exists.
I personally think you’re being pernickety. The desire/passion for quality subtitles is a good thing, but doing the above infrequently isn’t really rocket science, especially for one or two subtitles per day or week. It‘s not like you‘re wading through 100’s of subtitles a week and it becomes “tedious” for you to do so.
I've already done it a few times, and now I'm thinking I probably won't bother to upload revisions in the future.

Uploading once is okay, doing twice as much work (to remove the old one and upload the revised one), is too much to ask of my altruism, I'm afraid..

scooby007
Site Admin

Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:11 pm

I already find that there are multiple duplicates of every subtitle I look at -- I might download 6 subs, to find they all have the same stupid errors. And this is a feature you might implement: check if a sub dupes an existing one and if found, bounce it.
Erm… This does exist, but take in mind someone may have changed a sub slightly (which enables them to bypass the system duplicate check, not necessarily the errors you refer to) and uploaded it again. Go take a subtitle and try uploading it again without changing anything and you will be restricted.
Well, I thought it a given that only the original uploader should be able to do this.
Restricting this feature just to the uploader is more inappropriate than the initial idea. If the uploader is such a perfectionist, I don’t think he’ll mind doing it again (unless he‘s bothered about his download count ). Otherwise, just make sure your work is up to scratch before you upload.

Xiggy

Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:35 pm

Erm… This does exist, but take in mind someone may have changed a sub slightly (which enables them to bypass the system duplicate check, not necessarily the errors you refer to) and uploaded it again. Go take a subtitle and try uploading it again without changing anything and you will be restricted.
Okay. I expected that if people re-up a sub, its because they've audited and fixed it. Naive of me.
Restricting this feature just to the uploader is more inappropriate than the initial idea. If the uploader is such a perfectionist, I don’t think he’ll mind doing it again (unless he‘s bothered about his download count ). Otherwise, just make sure your work is up to scratch before you upload.
I don't get your objection. About the only "payment" anyone gets (unless I'm missing something) is having their name on a good sub. If anyone could edit it, that's gone. It's harder to be motivated if they do it anonymously. And you pointed out yourself that someone could replace credits in a sub if anyone could edit any sub.

In Wikipedia they allow anyone to edit almost anything. But to deal with abuse they have evolved an elaborate system of admins and oversight. It works, but it's not at all simple. On a smaller site, letting each user take responsibility for his own work is better, given that anyone can copy a sub and fork it if they think they can improve it (which is what I often do).

Anyway, if you had to wait till you were sure a sub is perfect, you would never upload at all.

scooby007
Site Admin

Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:16 pm

Okay. I expected that if people re-up a sub, its because they've audited and fixed it. Naive of me.
Welcome to the world of internet. Not everyone does and behaves to an acceptable level nor do they or will they do as you/I deem fit.
I don't get your objection. About the only "payment" anyone gets (unless I'm missing something) is having their name on a good sub. If anyone could edit it, that's gone. It's harder to be motivated if they do it anonymously. And you pointed out yourself that someone could replace credits in a sub if anyone could edit any sub.
My objection? What objection? If it’s to do with your idea, I never objected and said it would be good, but doesn’t really benefit the majority, hence - inconsequential (at least for now).

If it was in reference to:
add their credits to the subtitle (regardless of whether they should or not)
That wasn’t an objection, more a impartial statement.

Xiggy

Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:54 am

My objection? What objection?
The line I quoted:
Restricting this feature just to the uploader is more inappropriate than the initial idea.

scooby007
Site Admin

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:14 pm

Apparently after submitting a subtitle I can correct any of the metadata, but I cannot update the actual subtitle except by deleting it (I gather that's what "Disable" means, though it's not explained anywhere I can see) and uploading a new version, and having to reenter all the above metadata by hand.

Why can't I "correct" the actual subtitles I have uploaded?

It's so tedious to do now that it must discourage many from bothering. Some might be annoyed that they will lose all the "download" stats of the previous version, though I don't care myself. (Or is there an award I'm missing out on...)
Glad to let you know this feature is now available, but it can only be done by admins or the original uploader of the subtitle to prevent misuse or abuse of other peoples work. :D

After you click on "Correct subtitles" on the subtitle page, then look where it says "Sub Filename CD1 (update):". You click on "update", and then select a newly corrected/improved subtitle from your PC to replace the old one. All data and download counter should remain as it is.

subshare

Re: Replacing Old Subtitles!

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:54 am

Am I right that this update function only works for subtitles that have been uploaded recently and are not older than X days or weeks? Because I wanted to update a subtitle file of mine, but there is no Edit link, nor is there this Update link at 'Sub Filename CD1' when I choose 'Correct subtitles'.

oss
Site Admin

Re: Replacing Old Subtitles!

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:15 pm

now it is setup for 30 days. I can make this period longer. The idea was if somebody will hack your account, he can not delete all...so I can change it for 60 days for example ?

Return to “General talk”