Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
oss
Site Admin

We are programming this web again - tell us suggestions

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:54 am

Hello all,

as you can see, our web is visited everyday more and more, sometimes you can even load webpage. We are aware of this, so we decided to buy 2 dedicated servers, so we hope opensubtitles.org will perform better and will serve you better.

With this decision we also thought about re-programming whole site. Now it is written in PHP4, and would be nice to have it all in objects - PHP5, using smarty...so it will be not in XSLT, but all important pages stays "open" (XML)

So if you miss here something, you have some idea how to improve site, just write it here.

We are looking for you ideas, thanks!
Last edited by oss on Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oss
Site Admin

Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:48 am

I can not believe, there is eveything OK with site, and you don't have no suggestions :)

We are now right working on translate module - translating website online.

ericb2038
Subtitles Admin

Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:55 pm

I can not believe, there is eveything OK with site, and you don't have no suggestions :)

I'll translate in French if you want :)

oss
Site Admin

Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:14 pm

I'll translate in French if you want :)
ofcourse, that should be really nice.

Here is small guide:

www.opensubtitles.org/addons/translate.php

1. DOWNLOAD english file
2. use some UTF8 editor (e.g. www.ultraedit.com)
3. edit that file
4. send me that file

I hope you know a bit php, you have to edit right side

What do you say ? Also I will edit http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/changelog
and add you there.

French will be nice, can't wait for it :)

ericb2038
Subtitles Admin

Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:31 am

1. DOWNLOAD english file
2. use some UTF8 editor (e.g. www.ultraedit.com)
3. edit that file
4. send me that file

I hope you know a bit php, you have to edit right side

What do you say ? Also I will edit http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/changelog
and add you there.

French will be nice, can't wait for it :)
I'll do that today. I was wondering, wouldn't it be better to type in directly the HTML entities (such as é and so on), rather than the UTF8 accented chars ? As for PHP, don't worry, I started programming with it when it was still known as PHP/FI :)

oss
Site Admin

Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:15 am

I'll do that today. I was wondering, wouldn't it be better to type in directly the HTML entities (such as é and so on), rather than the UTF8 accented chars ? As for PHP, don't worry, I started programming with it when it was still known as PHP/FI :)
Thanks a lot mate. You know, translators often dont have these skills, so why make it harder. UTF8 is ok, and you dont care about these entities, so just use some utf8 editor and it will be ok. After that I will add french to website and all will be happy :)

Thanks

bbokica

Search engine

Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:03 am

Hi there,

I'm curious... What happend with the search engine?
It doesn't run in usual manner.

oss
Site Admin

Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:26 am

yes, I disabled this:

when you serch something and IMDB/IDMOVIE should be filled in field, it is not filled. Many people, including myself complaints about this behavior. Maybe I will change this in future.

Or there is something other you mean ?

jtotoro

Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:55 pm

I think something showing the latest added subtitles added would be good and maybe some kinda of ranking of most downloaded subtitles and ummm.. maybe a shoutbox or something like that.

I know, must of these things are kind useless and are probably a waste of programming energy but sometimes it makes a site more pleasing to visit with this kinda of thing, with some more interactivity :)

And btw i love the site the way it is. Pretty neat work here :)

oss
Site Admin

Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:10 am

I think something showing the latest added subtitles added would be good and maybe some kinda of ranking of most downloaded subtitles and ummm.. maybe a shoutbox or something like that.

I know, must of these things are kind useless and are probably a waste of programming energy but sometimes it makes a site more pleasing to visit with this kinda of thing, with some more interactivity :)

And btw i love the site the way it is. Pretty neat work here :)
I will add something like this today for your pleasure :) Shoutbox maybe later, yeasiest would be CGI IRC :)

opiz

Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:24 am

Love this site. Just signed up today, after DLing some subtitles. I will translate the site into Danish. I have a lot of years experience in PHP hacking, so i will just start edit the english textfile.

oss
Site Admin

Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:50 am

great, if zou need some help from me, just tell me. zou know for sure"
www.opensubtitles.org/addons/translate.php

and send that file...

we need more and more translations and later we will also allow localize SubDownloader.

thanks

bachirica

Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:13 pm

I would modify the way you store the subtitles for tv series... It's pretty caotic now to find a subtitle for a specific chapter...

I would help if I knew something about programming... but I'm sorry I can only give you the ideas !! :?

Aleph

Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:38 pm

I think the problem on searching subs for tv series is the uploader's fault...
I mean....it's quite easy (in fact a lot of people do it) to put the ep number/name on the "release name" field...
I watch series, and I download subs for them from here...
it's quite easy to find what you're looking for when it's written on the "release name" field cause it shows right below the "movie" name when you're searching...

well...but that's me...

Worst

Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:57 pm

Yeah, if you put in the release name field something like that:

30.Rock.S01E01.HDTV.XviD-LOL

or for full season:

30 Rock - Season 1

Then there's no problem.

But not only uploaders are responsible for that chaos in TV Series subs. There are problems with auto-assigned subtitles. Release name is usually missing.

Return to “General talk”