Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
mackeral

Sub with Video_TS folder on played on computer?

Sat May 09, 2009 2:08 pm

Can somebody please help me. I have downloaded a movie and it has appeared as
a video_ts folder which I have to drag onto VLC in order to play. Unlike a movie which appears as an AVI file, this folder has many different files (mainly .VOB) in it. I would like to watch this on my computer with subtitles but I don't now how to make it work. I do not wish to burn it onto a DVD.

Kibemau

Mon May 11, 2009 10:18 pm

First drag the video_ts folder, then drag the subtitle file onto VLC too.

Or click File, Open.
Check "Use a sibtitles file", then click the second "Browse..." button to find your subs file.

HTH

mackeral

Thanks.

Sat May 16, 2009 8:04 am

Thanks Kibemau. Now I can load the Video_TS as a file and load the subs with it.

The only hassle is that they have included the intro screen with buttons that I can click with my mouse to start the movie or select scenes. Using the open command in the file menu deactivates the buttons and instead plays these files out before the movie starts so my subs are out of sync.

I am going to convert the movie using handbrake and try to correct the subs myself, but I wonder if there isn't a way to include the subs in the TS folder so they will start playing correctly after I select the start button in the DVD intro window?

Kibemau

Thu May 21, 2009 6:48 am

If you drag the subs file after the actual movie begins (in windowed mode), the subs are synchronized. At least that's what happened here when I experimented a bit with a dvd containing a menu and several videoclips.

But yes, that's still a hassle. If there is a more automated way within VLC, I don't know (I myself use KMPlayer more often, and the subs file seems to show only in the movie, even when I load it while the menu is still running).

mackeral

Sat May 23, 2009 10:29 am

I tried dragging the subs onto the window but nothing happened. I am running VLC under mac os x so if you are running it under windows that might explain why it behaves differently. When I eventually get windows installed I will check out VLC and KM player and see what I can do.

A lot of the information on the web concerning this problem is aimed at people wishing to burn Video_TS folders onto a DVD with subs included. So I was thinking that the best way might actually be to get a DVD and burn the folder, though it seems like an unnecessary hassle.

Kibemau

Sun May 24, 2009 2:37 pm

Yes, I'm using Windows.
But wait. The solutions you've found probably involve 2 steps:

1. Integrate a subs file and a video file to make one or more VOB files inside a video_ts folder in your hard drive.
2. Burn the video_ts folder to a DVD-R.

Step 2 is the easiest part but, if I understand your problem, it's unnecessary: Once you have the video_ts folder, just play it with VLC.

The real problem is that your video_ts folder already contains the menu(s), the video, the audio, and the subs (if any), all multiplexed into a single VOB file, possibly split into several VOB files to keep them smaller than 2GB. Everything is supposed to be inside the VOBs, and the player doesn't know where an external subs file fits.

I think your best bet is to convert the movie to an avi, mov or mkv (is that what handbrake is for? If not, ffmpegX seems to be a good candidate, but I don't know much about Mac apps), then use VLC to watch it the usual way.

ixquic

Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:44 am

There's no need to recode, unless you're short of disk space. Recoding to avi, mkv, mp4 etc. means recompressing the video, and that takes hours and the movie will look shitty if it's not done right.

VOBs are just special MPG files hacked into 1 GB pieces, with some extra stuff like subtitles added. I would suggest using a tool like VOB2MPG or VOBmerge (both Windows, sorry) to join the VOB files into MPG files. You will get one big MPG file (the movie) and several small ones (menus and trailers). This program just wraps the movie into another container, it doesn't recode it. The joining should go pretty fast. You can delete the trailers and menus and give the movie MPG and the subtitles matching filenames so they will play together automatically, for example "mymovie.mpg" and "mymovie-english.srt" .

Of course, if you want to venture into recoding I recommend Staxrip. It recodes into MKV or MP4 with the best codecs (x264, AAC) and it's pretty self-explaining. Install Staxrip, let it install all the helper programs it needs, drag the VOBs that contain the movie on the Staxrip icon and then follow the steps it suggests.

YusufAD

Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:55 am

An easy way to display external subtitles with DVD movies in VLC, is to copy and rename the subtitles after every VOB file of the movie (usually VTS_01_?.VOB).

So you would end up with several copies of the same subtitles file, named something like VTS_01_1.LANG.srt, VTS_01_2.LANG.srt, VTS_01_3.LANG.srt, etc. Then you would add the VOBs to your play list, and the subtitles will be loaded automatically, as VLC always searches for subtitles files containing the file name of the video (of any format).

Note, however, that using the same subtitle file won't work with other video formats, since you would've to split and re-synch the subtitles for every video file, while it seems every VOB stores the total movie time.

Having said that, when I play a DVD with external subs, VLC will suddenly start displaying subs for a few milliseconds, making it impossible to read, sometimes even to see... I've seen this problem reported on the VLC forums long ago, though reading this thread gives me the impression some of you have no problems with external subs + DVD movies in VLC. Is that right?

In any case, what I use instead is Media Player Classic Homecinema, though with it you've to switch from overlay to VMR rendering, which gets my old abacus sweating and seems to skew subs a little, and you've to load them by hand. But there ain't such a thing as a free meal. ;)

srtpal

Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:51 am

My copy of VLC has just informed me that the new version 1.0.0 was released, so I downloaded and installed it.

Before, I was not able to use .srt subtitles with a DVD. VLC would load them but not display them. Now it works.

So, I suggest to everyone to get the latest version and you should be able to see the subtitles in VLC when playing a DVD (the VOB files are just a DVD in a folder on the computer instead of a disc). Just drag the subtitles over an already playing movie, and it works.

Return to “General talk”