Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
oss
Site Admin

Mass upload technique

Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:29 pm

Hello,

every second user is asking for mass uploading (not really:), important thing is, we think mass uploading is good feature. Ok, there was some ideas how to do, but I think this should be the way, and I like to know your opinion:

1. User will click in main menu to "Mass Upload"
2. program will ask for directory where movies with subtitles are stored
3. program will scan (recursive) directory, and will make pairs of movies (cd1+cd2) with their subtitles.
4. now "wizard" will start - it will be exactly same window as upload, but there will be option to "skip this upload". So user have to check everything, click on confirm (adding next cd if needed, changing subtitle file)...and so on, as normal upload. After end of action (subtitles are on server/upload successful) will go next "pair" until finish

What do you think about this ?

Patejl

Re: Mass upload technique

Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:02 pm

What do you think about this ?
Hi, this is actually very similar proposal to the one I sent to Ivan (probably, there aren't too many way how to carry it out). I only proposed one more step after directory scan. The list of found films would by displayed to user can unselect films or make corrections in grouping (pairing - cd1/cd2). Also I pointed out it would be useful if there is possibility to add more languages for one film.

oss
Site Admin

Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:20 pm

ah, I thought that excel sheet you sent is required to upload subtitles.
Then OK, we will se what will say Ivan :)

eduo

Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:42 am

Good thing to consider: Stop assuming that 1.-Movies commonly come in two parts and 2.-That two files with consecutive numbers will always be two CDs in a movie. I can't count how many times I've had the program almost believe it was uploading subtitles for two parts of a movie instead of two expisodes for a series.

For mass uploading this becomes more serious, as you may end up with 14 episodes of a series, that the program may believe are 7 movies.

So, a checkbox before "mass" uploading would be nice, the checkbox (or radio button, or popup menu, I don't care) could ask if the directory contains movies or tv series, if it contains movies it can ask if movies are split in two files or in a single file (or mixed contents). If it's a series it can ask if it's a single series or not and a single season or not (we should expect some level of organisation from users at some point in time).

These questions would make subtitle uploading much more practical.

Finally, and maybe unrelated. I believe "ratings" should be integrated in any form of subtitle download or upload. When you enter SubDownload (or other programs) you should have a section or tab for "ratings" that lists the subtitles you've downloaded and a way to rate them and/or take them off the list.

I also believe uploaded subtitles should present more metadata than they currently do (especifically they should make it clear if they are as-is or have been "tweaked" by the user (or if they require further tweaking).

If I had the technical chops I would make an app that integrated VLC or mplayer (for video viewing and sharing through uPNP), a torrent client with RSS support, options to uncompress downloaded files and filters for how to move them around, opensubtitles support for download and upload and automatic organisation of files (Movies, TV Series, Musicals, Documentaries, etc.) and automatic popups reminding users to rate the subtitles.

One can only dream.

eduo

Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:20 am

Reviving an old thread...

I see the method "SearchSubtitles" has changed to include searching by IMDBID.

Wouldn't this imply changing the "UploadSubtitles" method to support uploading files without hash and moviesize and just having IMDBID?

Also, searching by IMDBID is killer in TV Series. Until IMDBID (or some other ID, I prefer dbtv or tv.com myself) for TV Episodes is adopted this can only be useful for movies.
http://eduo.info/
[url=http://eduo.info/soleol/]OpenSubtitles from your desktop: SolEol for Mac/Windows/Linux[/url]
[url=http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php?showtopic=325&st=0&p=2480&#entry2480]My current episode processing work flow[/url].

oss
Site Admin

Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:21 am

hi Eduo,

yes, it seems I have to add these things in upload subtitles, maybe reviding all uploading process (first make movie entry, then adding subtitles to it)

for IMDB searching for TV series - it should be possible, when TV series support will be done (what was done from TV series support is deleted, when moving servers we lost all dev.opensubtitles.org, trac.opensubtitles.org and blog.opensubtitles.org design..., it should be possible input name of movie/imdb, and series/episode number, so it should work nice.

anyway, I am reinstalling my windows with kubuntu and trying to develop locally, so please be patient.

eduo

Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:51 am

Hello.

Revisiting this subject.

Currently TryUploadSubtitles can't handle any kind of mass upload. If I have 10 unrelated subtitles I should be able to upload all of them as CD1. I can autoincrement the CD but it really wouldn't make any sense. How do I upload a bunch of unrelated subtitles matched to their corresponding movie hashes?

I guess it wouldn't matter much for TryUploadSubtitles but I don't want to upload multi-CD batches when they're unrelated. I'm already covering uploading all subtitles for a single moviefile as a single CD but for the rest it wouldn't make sense.

Should I just launch a single UploadSubtitles for each subtitle? That's a hell of a lot of unneeded overhead.
http://eduo.info/
[url=http://eduo.info/soleol/]OpenSubtitles from your desktop: SolEol for Mac/Windows/Linux[/url]
[url=http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php?showtopic=325&st=0&p=2480&#entry2480]My current episode processing work flow[/url].

Return to “Programs using OS”