Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
tom1807

Sugggestion for another selection of subtitle language

Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:13 pm

I noticed there are for Chinese already Chinese simplified, Chinese Traditional and Chinese Bilingual available.
Recently I also acquired Cantonese subtitles (mainly used in Hong Kong), also traditional Chinese, but partly different symbols.
Language Codes:
Chinese Simplified: zh-Hans
Chinese Traditional (Taiwan): zh-Hant.
Chinese Traditional (Hong Kong): yue-Hant
Possible to add these also? So far I could contribute 2 subtitles for this, maybe there would be more in the future.

Cheers
Tom

oss
Site Admin

Re: Sugggestion for another selection of subtitle language

Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:06 am

Hi

if you have just 2 subtitles in my opinion is not worth it. Just upload it Under Traditional Chinese and add the info in description box.

tom1807

Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:20 am

I was just about to clarify my suggestion then I noticed, on the main-page, under advanced search, there is Cantonese as selection available.
But for uploading the language, there is no selection.for Cantonese.
So even I would upload for Chinese Traditional, it won't show up, when a user selects Cantonese.

Cheers
Tom

oss
Site Admin

Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:26 am

Hi

in advanced search, it is regarding MOVIE. So if in movie they speak Cantonese, it will be filtered, it have nothing to do with subtitles.
it is in "movie" section and it is called "Movie language:"

So it is not about subtitle language.

0pener

Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:02 am

I second this - Yue (or Cantonese) is 86M speakers and their written language is similar to traditional but not identical (different pronunciation and different words and phrases).

I see HK often enough as distinctive sub tracks. And linguistic gems like this (tongue in cheek) totally justify the presence of yue/cantonese in the selection menu:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diu_(Cantonese)
:wink:

Joking aside, I really think it would suit OS to honour this language with its own checkbox.

oss
Site Admin

Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:29 pm

ok I added it there, lets see if there will be some uploads :)

zhc, zc, Chinese (Cantonese)

0pener

Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:56 pm

Thank you <3

I will recheck my ups (and look for more: I think this is a perfect reason to sieve through my Shaw Brothers and other HK movies).

Happy weekend :)

Return to “General talk”