Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
brazuca

Disabling auto-detect language on subtitle upload

Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:26 pm

Hey there!

Is there a way to disable auto-detect language when i'm uploading subtitle?

I mean, portuguese from Portugal and from Brazil are very similar, so its kindda hard for a software auto-detect what portuguese is it. I wanna that disabled because all the time i upload a subtitle, it sets as portuguese from Portugal and then i have to change, but sometimes i forget. Then i have to open the website, edit the subtitle and change the language, and when i do that, the AKA movie name i've entered on subdownloader disappear.

Yes, its a very small issue when you are uploading few subs, now think when you have to send many of them, then change the language all the time will take you some precious seconds :P

Thanks!

oss
Site Admin

Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:44 pm

This is definitely good idea and you have right. will be optional in some future release.

Anyway, I think you can still select subtitle language while uploading :)

Gringo

Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:01 am

I do agree on the problem.
The language auto detection is a very nice thing but whenever I get used to something I tend to forget to check if it is correct, especially in the case of "Portuguese" and "Portuguese (Brazilian)" it is very easy to overlook that difference.
So the fact, that I still can manually change the selected language doesn't really help me when my brain is refusing to remember to check first the correctness of the information befor clicking on the upload button.

But, firstly, I like the auto detection and wouldn't like to turn that feature off. I would need a checkbox to confirm the language that was auto-detected at the most (which would be much faster than to select the language from the dropdown menue).

Secondly, I have difficutlies to imagine that it is "hard for a software" to auto-detect the difference between the "old" and "new" Portuguese ;-)
Since there are so many keywords on one hand (such as the abundant/rar usage of "você" and tons of other rather clearly favored words, such as "autocarro" vs "ônibus", "carona" vs "boleia", "faz favor" vs "por favor", "fix" vs "legal", etc. etc...) and there is such an incredible expertise behind opensubtitle.org on the other hand, I believe it is not so hard to find something that brings a >99% accuracy to the autodetection function.

Of course, this probably would be task # 7,257 on the list of our devoted developer at Opensubtitles.org, and therefor I wouldn't dare to request such a thing, especially since I'm really enjoing the new Subdownloader 1.2.4.

But maybe one day....

oss
Site Admin

Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:31 am

there will be possibility to turn off this feature, it is needed for sure. For your information, we did not code autodetect language, we are just using, what exists - opensource is the way.

Gringo

Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:57 pm

Of course not. Never expected you to have invented everything by yourself....Let me know what you are using for auto-detection, and I will get back to you about the Protuguese-Brazilian issue. OK?

Cheers

oss
Site Admin

Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:10 pm

hello, you can see in installation folder of SubDownloader LM folder. This is used for language recognition. More you can read at: http://www.let.rug.nl/~vannoord/TextCat ... itors.html

we use python lib for that.

capiscuas

Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:19 am

there is a bug reported for this already
https://bugs.launchpad.net/subdownloader/+bug/247061

Feel free to add more comments or ideas on it.

Return to “Programs using OS”