Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
fry_xx

Help from some native English speaker

Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:53 am

Hi, after looking for a long time the English subtitle for the movie ‘The Warlord (1965)’ without success I decided to try and write it myself, but not being a native English speaker I got stuck in a few places, so if anyone out there can lend a hand I would be very grateful.

To put it into context, the action happens in the 11th century. The Lord (Charlton Heston) has a met a girl from the village he’s just been given the command of, and obviously he’s more than liked her, however the girl is about to get married to a local boy…

In the first clip, the Lord’s brother and his men are making fun of the first encounter between Charlton Heston and the girl, making puns with war language and armour pieces, I don’t get the last one….

Code: Select all

http://www.dailymotion.com/fry_xx/video/x68dtj_video3s_webcam
In the second one, again Charlton’s brother is trying to convince him that he’s got the right to ‘take’ the girl on her wedding night (jus primae noctis) and he tries to get the priest to justify that right. The priest does not oblige…

http://www.dailymotion.com/fry_xx/video/x6843d_video1s_creation
And in the third, the brothers are fighting and Charlton accuses his brother of taking advantage of his war success without lifting a finger. His brother doesn’t quite agree…

http://www.dailymotion.com/fry_xx/video/x6846d_video2s_creation
Any help is welcome :D

hoodric

Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:13 pm

Clip 1
"Pull up your breastplates, your rear eschelon's exposed."

Clip 2
You've made a slight mistake in your subtitles for the second clip. Just after "Jus primae noctis" the priest says "That mean the Roman for it".

This sounds grammatically incorrect to a speaker of modern English but was probably done on purpose by the writers of this movie to make it sound like 'Old English'.

Clip 3
"It sets the whole world turning."

Hope this helps.

fry_xx

Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:47 pm

That's excellent hoodric... thanks a lot :D, I had watched those clips like a thousand times but definiteley I wouldn't have gessed it even watching another thousand.

Cheers

davideisaura

Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:49 pm

Clip 1
Uh... that's 'echelon'.

hoodric

Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:27 am

Clip 1
Uh... that's 'echelon'.
Oops, my bad. Thanks for the spell-check.

I'm currently attempting to get this movie so I can do a full run-through of the subtitles for you if you'd like.

fry_xx

Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:30 am

Hoodric, you have a PM in case you still want to do the run through :D

Cheers

Return to “General talk”