Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
English, not deaf

Is everyone deaf?

Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:08 pm

Over and over I encounter movies in multiple languages with only the English voices being subtitled. I realize some people have hearing problems but most of us don't. At least 95%. So why are almost all subtitles geared for deaf people? How many people speak multiple languages? Not many! Especially when they're from all over the world. And do they expect the deaf people to suddenly get their hearing back for foreign languages? They must because there are never any subtitles for them it seems.
When the movie came out they would have had to include the subtitles in all the languages so why are these discarded?

Is there any way of searching for non-deaf subtitles? I only want to see them when they are NOT English! I see no way of doing that on this site.
How dense are the uploaders that they don't realize this? Just how stupid do you have to be to not understand this problem that almost all movie watchers face?

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: Is everyone deaf?

Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:54 pm

Not "almost all subtitles geared for deaf people". In fact, most are not.

The way it's supposed to be, is that HI subtitles are marked as such with the HI icon.
If you don't want HI subs, avoid the subs with that icon:

Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

mrtinkles
Subtitles Admin

Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:28 am

"Is there any way of searching for non-deaf subtitles? I only want to see them when they are NOT English!"

Possibly misconstruing your comment above and from your prior post, but are you referring to "forced subtitles"? There is a provision for Foreign Parts Only subtitles on the site.

Hope you find the what you're looking for.........

arcchancellor

Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:11 am

How dense are the uploaders that they don't realize this? Just how stupid do you have to be to not understand this problem that almost all movie watchers face?
Control yourself a little. It may not be the best way to ask for something in that tone.
Especially not if you have neither understood the meaning of this website, nor are you obviously not aware that this site exists, because film fans try to help other film fans out of pure altruism.
"I don't believe in God. I just believe in Billy Wilder" - Fernando Trueba

scooby007
Site Admin

Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:03 pm

It's sometimes hard not to come across looking like a Karen tantrum on the internet, but a simple search field query yields results for ones expectations. In this case, "advanced search" and select the options that match your criteria and et voilà:

Check this link and the globe symbol next to each subtitle:
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search ... rtsonly-on
The link above shows all "Foreign Parts Only" subtitles uploaded over the last month.

The option you need is called "foreign parts only" when searching. If there is no foreign parts only file for that movie, it means in some likely cases it doesn't exist. There are 1000's of "foreign parts only" subtitles on this site. Some movies/releases come with foreign parts hardcoded in them, so for them most probably there wouldn't be a foreign parts only file on site.
If you come across a movie that requires a "foreign parts only" subtitle and doesn't have one, you're more than welcome to find it and upload it so others with similar views to yourself can also benefit.

And I agree with arcchancellor's statement, he's seldom ever wrong in his statements.

Return to “General talk”