Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
drpeppershaker

Block a specific uploader?

Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:38 pm

Is it possible to block a specific uploader?

There is a certain uploader who seems to always include colorful scrolling credits with his name and sometimes contact information in his subtitles. It's super annoying when his subs happen to be the ones that get downloaded.

Is it possible to for me to block him outright or maybe have admins look at his uploads?

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: Block a specific uploader?

Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:18 am

Only admins can block a user from uploading, but this is a pretty rigorous method.

I understand what you are saying about such credits. Credits make total sense, it's the only reward users get for their unpaid work, but I agree it shouldn't be too much and mutilate the subtitles. Still, I think this is not enough reason to ban the user.

I would recommend to communicate with this user. Point out that credits are totally fine, but shouldn't interfere too much with the movie/episode and are normally limited to maximum two times a single line of text. If you kindly explain, that user may change his ways.

Meanwhile, you could just avoid using the subs of this user.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

drpeppershaker

Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:36 pm

I'm not saying ban them outright. I want to know if there's a way I personally can block them. For example on Facebook or Twitter or wherever, If I block another user I can't see them and their content anymore. They aren't stopped from using the website and its features.

My downloads are automatic, which is why I get so annoyed when I wind up with subs from this user (who has hundreds of uploads, which all appear to have these scrolling brightly colored credits). That's why I was hoping there was some sort of way to block a specific user.
He has been warned by the admins already--I can see that when I look at his profile.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:21 pm

Directly through OpenSubtitles, there is no way a user can block another user. But if you are downloading automatically through some software, maybe that software has some filtering possibilities. You would have to ask the developers of that software and/or other users who are using the same software.

I don't know which user this is about and which admin(s) have been warning that user, but if there is already an official warning, you may want to contact that specific admin and ask if something could be done. Maybe a temporary block, to at least get this user's attention. Sometimes users don't monitor their email address or have notifications switched off, so it is possible this user is not even aware of the complaints.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

Return to “General talk”