Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
6QhVmM

Opensubtitles.org now blocked (at least) from Denmark

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:31 pm

A few days ago opensubtitles.org stopped worked from Denmark. Now one is redirected to a PDF version of a DNS blocking court order.

But this is not simple DNS blocking mind you. I'm fed a HTTP 301 Moved Permanently from Cloudflare on 104.27.79.77 80, the correct IP address. Cloudfare's response differs between my danish home IP and my Rackspace Cloud Server in Dallas, USA (see below).

Reading this forum is not blocked for some reason but posting to it is. When I (try to) post from Denmark, i'm presented with this weird Captcha from Cloudflare that doesn't look possible to fill out:
https://i.imgur.com/Nsaux6p.png

A friend of mine has tried VPNing to sereral other European countries with similar results (actually all i know is that "it didn't work" using other countries as well). Ireland being one exception as I recall. if this is interesting to you, I can ask him. But I'm sure you can investigate yourselves with a VPN just like we can.

I'm just wondering why I haven't heard about this in this forum or the blogosphere. It seems to coincide with the recent Europol announcement :
https://www.europol.europa.eu/newsroom/ ... fringement

explosiveskull

Re: Opensubtitles.org now blocked (at least) from Denmark

Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:09 pm

Well, DNS blockage is not something really concerning as it can be countered easily by changing DNS servers on your PC or router. Also, if you use Firefox, you're, by default, using Cloudflare's DNS servers which are the best among all DNS providers.

As far as the VPNs are concerned, you should note that the servers which are used for tunneling purposes don't necessarily have the same restrictions as home users do. Also, VPN servers are shared among a huge number of customers, so even if one customer uses a VPN server for spamming purposes and it gets noticed, Cloudflare's anti-spam system can be triggered and start referring people who are using that exact same IP to CAPTCHA pages so VPNs are not usually the best tool to test these matters. Feedback from home users is the best way to gather information.

6QhVmM

Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:14 pm

Noice from the same IP addresses below:

From my Danish home IP:

$ telnet 104.27.79.77 80
Trying 104.27.79.77...
Connected to 104.27.79.77.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.1
HOST: http://www.opensubtitles.org

HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2019 12:36:56 GMT
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Connection: keep-alive
Set-Cookie: __cfduid=yadayadayada; expires=Fri, 03-Jan-20 XXXX GMT; path=/; domain=.opensubtitles.org; HttpOnly
Vary: Accept-Encoding
X-Cache-Backend: web1
X-Cache: MISS
X-RateLimit-Remaining: 40
X-Via: fw2.int.opensubtitles.org
CF-Cache-Status: DYNAMIC
Server: cloudflare
CF-RAY: xxxxxx-CPH

Rackspace, Dallas:

$ telnet 104.27.79.77 80  
Trying 104.27.79.77...
Connected to 104.27.79.77.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.1
HOST: www.opensubtitles.org

HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2019 12:37:26 GMT
Set-Cookie: __cfduid=yadayadayada; expires=Fri, 03-Jan-20 12:37:25 GMT; path=/; domain=.opensubtitles.org; HttpOnly
Set-Cookie: PHPSESSID=yadayadayada; expires=Wed, 04-Dec-2019 xxxxx GMT; Max-Age=21600; path=/; domain=.opensubtitles.org; HttpOnly
CF-RAY: xxxxxx-DFW

6QhVmM

Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:27 pm

But Cloudflare's anti-spam system won't suddenly start forwarding to a URL with a rights-holder URL, would it?
https://rettighedsalliancen.dk/wp-conte ... ime-EN.pdf

There is something more sinister going on than simple DNS blockage. The _same_ Cloudflare IP address responds differently in Denmark now.

scooby007
Site Admin

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:04 pm

On top of what explosiveskull says, also check second post by SmallBrother in this topic and try the check via the link provided in that post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15369

That will tell us if the problem is from our end, and if it's we that blocked the IP/traffic or CloudFlare.

6QhVmM

Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:18 am

Strangely, http://www.opensubtitles.org/addons/show_my_ip.php works, but http://www.opensubtitles.org/ does not. Output from http://www.opensubtitles.org/addons/show_my_ip.php (masked):

Global (system) download limit: 200 per 24 hours
Detected IP(s): Array
Raw IPs: x.x.x.x
Detected Country: dk
BANNED: No
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:70.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0
Accept Language: en-US,en;q=0.5
FINAL RESULT: Accepting download
SYSTEM should count downloads by IP ADDRESS(es)
==========================================
List of downloaded subtitles per IP: x.x.x.x for last 24 hours - total 0
Array
(
)
You can download 200 subtitles more
==========================================

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:23 pm

I have not been able to reproduce it. I used my private dedicated VPN in Ukrain to access opensubtitles.org from several European countries using my public VPN provider without any problem. Maybe it was just something unwanted and temporary. You still have the problem now?

And if is it how you say, I must agree with Europol that blocking opensubtitles is conform their "aim of making the internet a safer place for consumers". Oh yes, subtitles are dangerous and unhealthy :lol:
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

djondjoe

Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:56 pm

I'm from Denmark and can't access Opensubtitles either. I can also read on several Danish forums that most people have the issue. It's not a simple thing that can be fixed by using another DNS. Most, if not all, of the Danish ISP's have definitely done something that relays traffic to opensubtitles to a PDF file describing some sort of court order against popcorn hour and also opensubtitles.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:15 am

I don't have access to a VPN in Denmark or fake that location, but any other way I tried, I can access opensubtitles.

But from that PDF I conclude this only applies to Denmark. Funny detail is that -according to that PDF- it should apply only to the hosts
dl.opensubtitles.org
api.opensubtitles.org
If that is actually the case, then http://www.opensubtitles.org should be possible to access, because it's a different hostname and even a different IP address. Maybe they were over-active with their method...

Do you have access to a VPN outside of Denmark? And I mean including a non-Danish DNS?
If so, what happens?
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.

Entotre

Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:22 pm

Finally! I have been roaming the length and depth of the internet for a week now and have found no information regarding the loss of subtitles I have suffered, until I arrived at this forum. Yes... I am in Denmark. I have been using tv streaming apps successfully for some time now, and am totally au fait with them and how to get subtitles. Suddenly, last week...... "no data" when trying to get subs. "No internet" when trying to get subs through MX Player. :( Now, it seems I know the reason. Whilst finally now knowing the reason is somewhat "helpful", I absolutely don't understand WHY they have been blocked. You may gather, I'm not as "tekky" as the posters above. I don't know how to use a VPN or even if it would work if I could. If anyone can help me out in ANY way as to find a workaround for this, me and my deaf husband would be eternally grateful. I would have thought if anything were to be blocked, access to movies and series would be the thing to block?! As SmallBrother said.... dangerous and unhealthy. Yeah. Subs are the evil of this world. :/

harritz3257

Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:49 pm

Hi SmallBrother.

The DNS resolves the same IP.

From Denmark:

******:~$ dig opensubtitles.org +short
******:~$ curl -D - www.opensubtitles.org
HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2019 16:17:51 GMT
Set-Cookie: __cfduid=d496cc4ffdda7f4f187111fcc7f29efd71575562671; expires=Sat, 04-Jan-20 16:17:51 GMT; path=/; domain=.opensubtitles.org; HttpOnly
X-Cache-Backend: web5
CF-RAY: 54075528ae863d47-CPH

From Germany:

******:~$ curl -D - www.opensubtitles.org
HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2019 16:17:47 GMT
Set-Cookie: __cfduid=ddd7735b9e23f6a0c923ab8c010dfa0fa1575562667; expires=Sat, 04-Jan-20 16:17:47 GMT; path=/; domain=.opensubtitles.org; HttpOnly
Set-Cookie: PHPSESSID=wgRw81B%2CNVs-kb3R4RxggG4qi00; expires=Thu, 05-Dec-2019 22:17:47 GMT; Max-Age=21600; path=/; domain=.opensubtitles.org; HttpOnly
CF-RAY: 5407550ed8afcba8-VIE

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:57 pm

Suddenly, last week...... "no data" when trying to get subs. "No internet" when trying to get subs through MX Player. :(
This sounds like an API access (automated software searches), which explicitely got blocked (api.opensubtitles.org). Have you tried to access the website www.opensubtitles.org with a browser and find/download subs manually? Does that work?
I think I'm loosing it...
Where did you dig?
And please note the difference between FQDN opensubtitles.org and the hosts "api." and "dl."
This is what I am getting:
opensubtitles.org 92.240.234.122
But
dl.opensubtitles.org 104.27.78.77
api.opensubtitles.org 104.27.78.77
www.opensubtitles.org 104.27.79.77

Mazrim Taim

Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:19 pm

I think I'm loosing it...
I lost it long time ago. ;)

Based on this - https://rettighedsalliancen.dk/wp-conte ... ime-EN.pdf
I would say that Danish ISP's have managed to succesfully block OpenSubtitles.

Undoubtably they're hoping that if people can't access subtitles, they won't be able to watch 'pirated content'.
(...) for the illegal viewing of films and television series, under § 413 of the Procedural Code it is possible to prohibit the websites in question.
Something similar has happened here in the Netherlands with regard to TPB, and I'm sure we'll see more like this in the nearby future.

Has anyone who's affected by this, already tried accessing OpenSubtitles by using Opera Browser in VPN-mode?

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:27 pm

Undoubtably they're hoping that if people can't access subtitles, they won't be able to watch 'pirated content'.
I don't like this. It's similar to banning scooters, because they are being used to rob gas stations... :?

Anyway, I think a VPN combined with a non-Danish DNS would do the job.
I hope some Danish can confirm this...

Entotre

Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:12 am

In answer to SmallBrother - "Have you tried to access the website www.opensubtitles.org with a browser and find/download subs manually? Does that work?"

When I clicked on the link I was taken to here....... https://rettighedsalliancen.dk/wp-conte ... ime-EN.pdf. :(

As I say... I'm not tekky. :( I wouldn't know how to go about "non-Danish DNS" as per Mazrim Taim's suggestion. I wish I could. I might have to learn........ fast!

I can just about manage VPN on Opera on my laptop..... but I would have no idea how to open a streaming app on my phone using VPN to try any different methods to get subs. :/

Return to “General talk”