Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
wayi

Newbie - how do I find subtitles timed to match movie???

Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:19 am

Hi,

Is there some way to tell which subtitle file should match the timing for the movie file? I'm having problems with subtitle files where the subtitles play either well before or after the time they ought to be displayed - and by sheer trial and error downloading and trying multiple files, usually find one that matches. Is there some way to tell up front from the various file type and number discriptors, without having to download and try each one?

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: Newbie - how do I find subtitles timed to match movie???

Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:56 am

Not all videos run the same, due to different frame rates or different cuts. So not every subtitle fits to every video file.

Sometimes, there are hashcodes/releasenames attached to the subtitle. If that is the case, you can find a matching subtitle by simply dragging and dropping your video file in the search field:

Start with this.
If you are not lucky (sometimes there are no hashcodes, or sometimes they are wrong), then you need to go manually:

If the uploader did a good job, they include a release name for which the subtitle is synchronised, for example:
The.Insult.2017.PROPER.BDRip.x264-VoMiT
Then, use THIS one to be sure.

Often bluray versions are interchangeable with eachother. Also web-dl's. And also HDTV-versions. But this is no guarantee.
On the other hand, usually those version categories are NOT interchangebale between eachother. For example, almost guaranteed, a HDTV version subtitle will NOT fit on a bluray version.

Here is an extensive explanation. It's in Dutch, but maybe Google can help to translate. Or maybe the images already say enough.
https://forum.opensubtitles.org/viewtop ... 39&t=16548
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

Return to “General talk”