Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
GLevai

How to upload multiple subtitles for TV Series?

Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:41 pm

Before posting this message I looked for a general "How To" sticky note on how to prepare subtitles before uploading and how to upload them, but couldn't found any, so here we go:

How am I supposed to upload multiple subtitles files of multiple seasons of a TV series:

1. Should I upload them in the browse window by selecting all 66 files
or
2. Should I zip them into one file and upload that zip file?
or
3. either way is OK?

My other question is about the memo part at the end of each subtitles. In this current case I machine (Google) translated the German subtitles to English, I downloaded the German subtitles from opensubtitles.org and each file contains memo at the end, crediting the author.

What should I do know, should I keep the original memo there and just add something like:

"MACHINE TRANSLATED from German to English
using Google Translate by GLevai 12/2018"

The German subtitles for hearing impaired:
VICOMEDIA 02/2005

?

I'm just asking, because this is the 1st time in my life I'm doing this. I'm well familiar with several text file massaging utilities (find&replace in all files, etc.), so it's no problem for me to replace any text in multiple text files.

My 3rd question is this: What is the standard naming convention for subtitles files? Does it matter how I name it, or it doesn't because some script on the server will rename them based on the info given by the user before uploading?

For e.g. the German one, that I downloaded was named berlin.berlin.(2002).tv.s03.ger.20cd.zip

I could call the ones, that I want to upload berlin.berlin.(2002).tv.s03.eng.20cd.zip - which in this case would apply to the complete 3rd season of the TV series. But I think I should also include the frame rate in the name because it is an important info IMHO.

My 4th question is this: Should I upload all the 66 files in one step by selecting all,
or
in one zip file
or
in 3 zip files (3 seasons)?
or
upload the season zip files and all .srt files for the same season?

Btw., if there is an answer to all my questions here somewhere on this website or the forum, no need to reply in writing, just please, post the corresponding URL here.

Thanks.

svaraej

Re: How to upload multiple subtitles for TV Series?

Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:04 pm

Hi,

1 and 4.
I personally don't group subtitles in seasons when I upload. Otherwise the subs won't be sorted under their corresponding episodes on the show's page. I suggest that you use a program to upload your subs instead of via the website. If your files have decent filenames most programs will fetch the imdb id automatically, I mostly use OpenSubtitles-uploader. It fetches imdb id and video file-info (name, framerate etc.), it doesn't have a batch upload feature, but with it's drag and drop-interface it doesn't take much time uploading multiple subs. There are other programs that allow batch uploads if you really don't want to upload each sub separately, take a look in the Programs using OS forum

No need to worry about the memo part since MACHINE TRANSLATED SUBS AREN'T ALLOWED on OpenSubtitles.

3. I suggest that you use the original (release) filename of the video and add the three letter language code. If you don't know the release name I suggest that you name the files something like this: Showname.SxxExx.EpisiodeName.Resolution.Source.Videocodec-Releasegroup.sublanguage (Example: Family.Guy.S17E02.Dead.Dog.Walking.720p.HDTV.x264-W4F.eng). Episode name is optional, but helpful. Resolution is usually only written out when it's 720p, 1080p, 2160p and so on. Source and Release group are very helpful when trying to find a subtitle that will sync. Frame rate in the filename is very rare, instead almost every subtitle site has the option to choose frame rate when uploading a sub. There are programs that can help you with file renaming, I use Filebot.

Best regards,
svaraej

GLevai

Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:30 pm

svaraej,
Thanks for your program and other suggestions, I do not "have to" worry about the memo part because in this instance, I was told in the very same post that you were referring to, that I can upload machine translated subtitles, I just have to mark them accordingly. See the most recent messages in that subject.

So, is there anywhere info on this forum, on the subject of what fields (IF ANY) of the uploading form will get integrated in the uploaded srt files automatically, either in the body of the memo at the end of the text or in file naming?

If I upload one or more subfiles, are they going to be online immediately, or they will be reviewed by admins first? I could upload several test files to get answer to all of my unanswered questions, if that is an OK procedure here.
Last edited by GLevai on Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

oss
Site Admin

Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:47 am

just make sure you name your subtitles accordingly, in format SxxExx, for example season 1 and episode 2 is: S01E02 somewhere in file, like
TVSeriesname.S01E02.srt
Then I suggest to select like 5 or 10 files (srt) and it will be uploaded, but of course uploading with Uploader is much more better (we will have info about movie hashes).

Just upload 1 for test and you will see how it goes, subtitles will appear immidiately

GLevai

Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:56 pm

Using the web interface I uploaded the S01E01 file with no problem. When I tried to upload files S01E02 through S01E13, I got the following error messages. I looked for a way to delete the 1st upload, so that I can try to upload the 1st 13 files, but I couldn't found any way of deleting files.

What is the problem?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Unsupported subtitle format for CD 1. Only srt, sub, smi, txt and ssa formats are supported B
Subtitle for CD 2 is not properly uploaded for unknown reason, please contact webmasterSubtitle for CD 1 is not properly uploaded for unknown reason, please contact webmaster ERROR:4You are trying to upload a subtitle with the same content or filename as one you uploaded earlier, please choose a different file
Subtitle for CD 3 is not properly uploaded for unknown reason, please contact webmasterSubtitle for CD 1 is not properly uploaded for unknown reason, please contact webmaster ERROR:4You are trying to upload a subtitle with the same content or filename as one you uploaded earlier, please choose a different file
Subtitle for CD 4 is not properly uploaded for unknown reason, please contact webmasterSubtitle for CD 1 is not properly uploaded for unknown reason, please contact webmaster ERROR:4You are trying to upload a subtitle with the same content or filename as one you uploaded earlier, please choose a different file
Subtitle for CD 5 is not properly uploaded for unknown reason, please contact webmasterSubtitle for CD 1 is not properly uploaded for unknown reason, please contact webmaster ERROR:4You are trying to upload a subtitle with the same content or filename as one you uploaded earlier, please choose a different file
Subtitle for CD 6 is not properly uploaded for unknown reason, please contact webmasterSubtitle for CD 1 is not properly uploaded for unknown reason, please contact webmaster ERROR:4You are trying to upload a subtitle with the same content or filename as one you uploaded earlier, please choose a different file
Subtitle for CD 7 is not properly uploaded for unknown reason, please contact webmasterSubtitle for CD 1 is not properly uploaded for unknown reason, please contact webmaster ERROR:4You are trying to upload a subtitle with the same content or filename as one you uploaded earlier, please choose a different file
Subtitle for CD 8 is not properly uploaded for unknown reason, please contact webmasterSubtitle for CD 1 is not properly uploaded for unknown reason, please contact webmaster ERROR:4You are trying to upload a subtitle with the same content or filename as one you uploaded earlier, please choose a different file
Subtitle for CD 9 is not properly uploaded for unknown reason, please contact webmasterSubtitle for CD 1 is not properly uploaded for unknown reason, please contact webmaster ERROR:4You are trying to upload a subtitle with the same content or filename as one you uploaded earlier, please choose a different file
Subtitle for CD 10 is not properly uploaded for unknown reason, please contact webmasterSubtitle for CD 1 is not properly uploaded for unknown reason, please contact webmaster ERROR:4You are trying to upload a subtitle with the same content or filename as one you uploaded earlier, please choose a different file
Subtitle for CD 11 is not properly uploaded for unknown reason, please contact webmasterSubtitle for CD 1 is not properly uploaded for unknown reason, please contact webmaster ERROR:4You are trying to upload a subtitle with the same content or filename as one you uploaded earlier, please choose a different file

oss
Site Admin

Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:16 pm

Hi,

send me your file which you want upload, I check. There is no way to delete subtitle, only disable, and it is not possible to upload duplicate file.

GLevai

Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:44 pm

I just sent them to you in a zip file.

oss
Site Admin

Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:44 pm

Hi

I uploaded files: https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/ssearc ... vie-176634
if you want I can change my name to yours as uploader.

Also I have to run some magic on files, because there was "< /I>" which is result of google translate...

Code: Select all

find ./ -type f -exec sed -i -e -E 's/<\/ +[iI]>/<\/i>/g' {} \;

GLevai

Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:10 pm

Thanks for uploading them for me, yes, please, change the uploader's name.

<i> and </ i> codes were not done by Google but the person who wrote the original subtitles in German ( just see the original German version). It just means, that those sentences that are enclosed with the start and end code of italic font, are not spoken out loud but they are inner thoughts of Lolle. (similar to the HTML code standards), therefore they should stay there IMHO.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention, that these subtitles are also for hearing impaired folks, so that is why the original author used italic fonts for distinguishing spoken words from thoughts.

I would just delete all of them and upload the originals that I sent you.

Btw., under the 4th season, I can see the single file that I uploaded, could that be removed? because it is remained there really unnecessarily.

oss
Site Admin

Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:52 am

Hi,

I will make the changes. We got banned "< /i>", because it is often result of poor translation, correct is "</i>" (no space).

GLevai

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:03 am

You are absolutely right about the extra space in the ending code of "< /i>". To be honest, I did notice it while I was massaging the Google translation results, I just thought, that since it didn't cause any problem in VLC player, I left them unchanged. But now I will update my "Google result clean up" macro in my Notepad++ for future use.

GLevai

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:20 am

One more question: While I was fixing up the Google translations, on a few occasion I had to remove an extra number digit from the end of a line, for e.g. like this:

-------------------------------------------------------
00:00:19,480 --> 00:00:23,405
And for the first time I am what I am
At home in little Malente never was:

00:00:23,480 --> 00:00:25,1648
free!

00:00:26,480 --> 00:00:28,482
(Theme song)
-------------------------------------------------------

Notice, the extra digit "8" at the end of time code of line #6. What happened, that while I watching the episode, I noticed, that suddenly the text of the subtitles appeared in two rows, the current ones on the top and the frozen one on the bottom. In this example, the word "free!" stayed on the screen for ever while the movie was proceeding and the subtitles lines appeared above this frozen line. This is how I noticed, that there is some problem here and it was caused by this extra digit.

I noticed, that you're using Linux and some grep style searches, by any chance, could you come up with a 'find and replace' script line (in this case: delete) solution for this problem?

But I still have no clue how or why did those numbers end up there. Out of the 66 episodes only 3 or 5 of them had this problem. To be honest, I didn't check the original German subtitles, so I cannot be 100% sure of that they didn't have these errors (and I already deleted them), I can only guess, that they didn't. But if you could come up with a solution, that would be great.

oss
Site Admin

Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:11 am

Hi,

I updated everything as needed, they are under your account, so now you can also make update of subtitle files. I found just 2 files:

Code: Select all

$ grep -e '\d\d:\d\d:\d\d,\d\d\d\d' * Berlin-Berlin.S01E18.eng.srt:00:15:51,960 --> 00:15:55,7474 Berlin-Berlin.S02E10.eng.srt:00:17:58,480 --> 00:18:01,0774
you can edit them and update them (just click on subtitle details and then "correct subtitles")

GLevai

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:58 pm

Thanks for updating the uploader's name to mine but it seems to me, that the system keeps this info in more than one places because for e.g when I searched for S01E18 in order to update it, I found two instances, one with, the other one without the "hearing impaired" sign, but both of them shows oss as uploader.

When I clicked on the button "correct subtitles" in the new window my name shows up next to the small green icon of uploader, but your name shows up in the one row table below that:

Berlin-Berlin.S01E18Subtitles from trusted sourceSubtitles for hearing impaired 1CD 2 days ago 1x 0.0 0 os

Can this discrepancy be corrected?

My other question is about correcting a file. What is the exact procedure for that? I got clueless when I got to the correcting page. I don't know if I'm supposed to check the box for "delete" and later upload the file in question again by making sure of that I upload it with the same title and other properties? Or is there a way to edit the text online and do some minor corrections that way?

I already fixed the two files on my PC, just don't know how to proceed. I'm an IT guy, but I guess I'm getting older and cannot figure out problems as quickly as I used to before.

Btw., Thanks for find the extra 4th digits for me with grep, Regex is still a mystery for me.

GLevai

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:46 pm

I also noticed, that if for e.g. I download the complete Season 1, the zip file contains 42 srt files instead of 26. Here is what I'm talking about;

Berlin-Berlin.S01E01.eng.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E02.eng.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E03.eng.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E04.eng.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E05.eng.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E06.eng.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E07.eng.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E08.eng.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E09.eng.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E10.eng.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E11.eng.1.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E11.eng.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E12.eng.2.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E12.eng.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E13.eng.3.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E13.eng.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E14.eng.4.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E14.eng.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E15.eng.5.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E15.eng.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E16.eng.6.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E16.eng.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E17.eng.7.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E17.eng.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E18.eng.16.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E18.eng.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E19.eng.8.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E19.eng.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E20.eng.9.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E20.eng.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E21.eng.10.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E21.eng.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E22.eng.11.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E22.eng.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E23.eng.12.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E23.eng.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E24.eng.13.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E24.eng.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E25.eng.14.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E25.eng.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E26.eng.15.srt
Berlin-Berlin.S01E26.eng.srt

How can I delete the surplus, duplicate ones? They can only cause confusion in folks who download them.

Btw., I managed to mark the two srt files to be hidden and uploaded the corrected ones.

Return to “General talk”