Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.

Recurring problem of stupidity - self-ad just before end credits

Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:34 pm

Hello,
Is there any way to make the subtitle-makers understand that it sometimes screw up a cinematic effect if they write sth like "subtitles by explosiveskull" or sth 1 sec before the end credits ?

Do these guys read this forum ?
Could someone please tell them ? Is it possible to know at least who doesn't do that, so I could always download the subs of this particular good subtitle-maker ?

Thanks a lot
Greetings

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: Recurring problem of stupidity - self-ad just before end credits

Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:40 am

I think it goes a bit too far to call this "stupidity" - but I think I know what you mean.

Personally I would include credits on a 'readable', but least-intrusive moment, to not interfere too much with the movie. I think this adds to the 'quality' of the subtitle.

That being said, note that making a subtitle is A LOT of work. On average at least 10-15 hours, and quite a bit more if the subtitler cares a lot about sharp synchronisation or error checking and so. Their only reward for their hard work is this one line of text. Considering that, I think it's acceptable if a subtitler chooses the moment he/she prefers, whether it's "stupidity" or consciously chosen. If that's not exactly how you like it, then maybe you could see this as a small price to pay for the further free subtitles you receive.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:33 am

I know subtitling is a lot of work, but making a movie is years, and that movie work is done sometimes by the director to also have an intentional effect with the end credits (and tv series too, also when there's a cliffhanger).

So sometimes you see a black screen and wonder if it's the ending, and you're in the mood and all, and suddenly there's like a guy coming from nowhere to shout in your ear "hey man, I did the subs !!" and vanishing, and half a second later you have the info that the story is over, it's very unnerving. Even for non movie-buffs who maybe don't realize or express it, but it ruins an effect anyway.

And I find it supid because it's useless : if they put their name ONCE the end titles have begun, everyone will see their name anyway, people don't generally press stop at the first tenth of a second of the first title of the end credits. it wouldn't change a thing.
Greetings

leviathanguthrie

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:32 pm

If you actually download the subtitle file, it only takes a second to see if someone has put a credit at the start or end of the file.

It's not something I have ever done, but I cut people slack: they are providing me with something which generally enhances my viewing, takes them time, and costs me nothing.

oss
Site Admin

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:49 pm

@458280 what about to download subtitle, open editor and delete that line which you dont like ? They spent 15 hours on translating, so you can spend 5 seconds to edit it, if it is problem for you. Or you just dont use subtitles, your choice.

jivan28

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:14 pm

I find it funny because we have open credits for film makers and everybody concerned with making a movie or a series both at the start and the end. From what little I have been exposed to explosiveskull work as a viewer, I find he's pretty sensitive as to where he puts his 'ad' as you say. Most subtitlers don't even bother putting up their name because for many it's labor of love as well. If Explosiveskull gets some kick out of having his name in the credits, I would say more power to him.

Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:38 am

I find it funny because we have open credits for film makers and everybody concerned with making a movie or a series both at the start and the end..
Well yes, but they dont screw up some other guy's effect by doing that, they just make the movie.
From what little I have been exposed to explosiveskull work as a viewer, I find he's pretty sensitive as to where he puts his 'ad' as you say.
Well, recently I didn't.
If Explosiveskull gets some kick out of having his name in the credits, I would say more power to him.
He deserves to have his name on, absolutely, but just a second later, that's all. Or in the beginning ,or both. But I said him an example, many times I've seen that bad timing with other subtitlers.

Oss and leviathanguthrie, yes I guess I'll edit the sub each time, or ask someone to do it because being an anti spoiler maniac I dont wanna see a last line of dialog (and even apart spoliers it's kind of a weird upsetting feeling to watch a movie and know that you've already read the last line)

Anyway sorry for being too harsh calling it stupid, well it is but everyone is dumb sometimes, me above all, but I was really pissed off. Subs are a great thing for millions of people, but so there's a responsability, subtitlers should picture the filmmaker next to them agreeing such sub's position when they do it, especially in a climatic moment.
Greetings

Return to “General talk”