Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
linzki

Tip for translators

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:48 am

First, thank you for your work it's highly appreciated.

I've noticed that when using english subtitles in a movie where characters speak most of the time english but occasionally they speak other languages like spanish. Usually for those parts english subs are already embedded in the video so no translation needed in external subs. For those parts external subs usually state "speaking spanish". The problem is that text "speaking spanish" covers the english translation embedded in the video. Could you translators please stop stating what language is spoken at least when there is translation embedded in video, or just place that statement so it doesn't cover the translation. Thank you very much :)

hector

Re: Tip for translators

Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:12 pm

The problem here is not the translator but the embedded subtitles. Embedding subtitles in the
video is a VERY BAD PRACTICE. They can't be corrected or improved, or relocated, or anything.

linzki

Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:39 pm

The problem here is not the translator but the embedded subtitles. Embedding subtitles in the
video is a VERY BAD PRACTICE. They can't be corrected or improved, or relocated, or anything.
Hi,

You seem to have missed my point. I'm not suggesting to do something for the embedded subtitles in english (translating the parts spoken in other languages than english). I'm guessing those embedded subs are already there when these tv-series are broadcasted to tv in english speaking countries.

I only want the translators for the subtitles here in opensubtitles.org to stop putting in the line where it states "(speaking spanish)". For starters it is obvious they're speaking spanish (or whatever language other than english), so no need to tell that. Well, even that wouldn't be a problem if that line wouldn't stay on top of the embedded subtitles in english telling what the actors are saying in spanish.

So what i'm asking is not to do more, i'm simply asking to do less: just don't add line stating what language they are speaking, because it covers the embedded translation in english.

hector

Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:05 pm

I'm guessing those embedded subs are already there when these tv-series are broadcasted to tv in english speaking countries.
It is still a bad practice. Digital TV has one separate channel to carry timed text or closed captions. I am spanish, so I can understand Spanish. I don't need the subtitles. Even more, I don't want them. These are called "forced subtitles". In OS they are called "foreign parts". The word "forced" is very descriptive. You can't get rid of them. I think every text that goes along with the video should be separated. That way you can disable it, change it, set its position on screen, etc. With embedded subtitles (also called hard subtitles) you can't do anything.

By the way, you can't disable embedded subtitles but you should be able to do it with those you get from OS. Just press one key or one button. So just do it when "speaking Spanish" tags bother you.

Now think of it the other way. Imagine you get just the video somehow (legally, of course) without any subtitles and you want to use these subtitles. Then you wouldn't get the part in Spanish. Someone could wish them to have that part too. I think the problem here is that the person who wrote this subtitle doesn't understand that foreign language (be it Spanish or whatever). In this case, I agree, I think it is silly to put that "Speaking Spanish" because it adds nothing. Most of the time it is obvious what language it is.

So, personally I'd like the translation to be there instead of just a tag saying what language it is. You can still disable it if you want, and use the embedded subs. Or you can configure your software to make the letters match exactly the shape of those in the embedded video so you don't have to touch a button.

The key is flexibility. With external subtitles you can do whatever you want. For me an important thing is that you can improve or change the translation.

Summing up, I don't think it is a good idea to leave those parts out assuming that they are going to be there, in the video. They might not be there. But I agrree that those "speaking ..." tags are useless.

And to finish, a tip for mail users: try to make the subject descriptive. "tip for translators" doesn't say anything about the content. "don't put silly tags in foreign parts" could be a better choice :-)

Return to “General talk”