Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
zlando

Problems with subtitles on my TV/DVD

Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi
My Fujicom TV screen is showing subtitles very small and I could not find a way around it - so - I hooked up a DVD with a USB to the TV and have watched, for years programs with success. A silly way of doing this, but it works.. or worked...
The old DVD broke down and I brought a newer one.
All of the sudden, sometimes, when I load the program - it will not show the subtitles - again - this happens only about 30% of the time... but I can't figure out why ... most work, but not all...
ALSO - when I put the USB directly into the TV - I CAN see even these subtitles that I could NOT with the DVD player...
Strange...
So - Maybe someone has a solution to either one of my problems:

1. TV has very small subtitles that I cannot seem to make larger
2. To tell me what I can do not to get this "unsupported format" error

Thanks!!!

Mazrim Taim

Re: Problems with subtitles on my TV/DVD

Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:24 pm

Hi
My Fujicom TV screen is showing subtitles very small and I could not find a way around it - so - I hooked up a DVD with a USB to the TV and have watched, for years programs with success. A silly way of doing this, but it works.. or worked...
The old DVD broke down and I brought a newer one.
All of the sudden, sometimes, when I load the program - it will not show the subtitles - again - this happens only about 30% of the time... but I can't figure out why ... most work, but not all...
ALSO - when I put the USB directly into the TV - I CAN see even these subtitles that I could NOT with the DVD player...
Strange...
So - Maybe someone has a solution to either one of my problems:

1. TV has very small subtitles that I cannot seem to make larger
2. To tell me what I can do not to get this "unsupported format" error

Thanks!!!
I can't help you with the size of subtitles on your Fujicom TV, since I have an LG.

The other part... subtitles not always shown... that sounds familiar. Especially the part where you say you can see the subtitles on your TV but NOT when using your DVD player.

I watch nearly everything by transferring video-files and subtitles to a USB flash drive. I then plug the USB device into my HDD-DVD recorder that is connected to my TV. For a long time I experienced the same problem as you. A lot of subtitles were not shown, yet when I watched the video on my computer... no problem.

Without any help I eventually found out what the problem was. Not all external devices (like my LG HDD-DVD recorder and possibly your DVD player) recognize all formats for subtitles. Most subtitles are UTF-8. Subtitles in this format are NOT recognized (and thus not displayed) by my HDD-DVD recorder. Only ANSI-subs are recognized.

So in my case the solution was to check and (if needed) manually change UTF-8 subs to ANSI-subs. Haven't had a problem since.

I'm not saying this is the answer to your problem... but it does sound familiar, so maybe.

Just use notepad on your computer to open the sub, click on 'save as...' and check the coding -

If it already says ANSI, you can use the subtitle. If not, change to ANSI and save.

zlando

Re: Problems with subtitles on my TV/DVD

Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:40 pm

Fantastic! It works !!!! THANKS!

Return to “General talk”