Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
Benja1972

Lots of adds on main page

Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:43 pm

I found lots of adds on main page of opensubtitles.org
When I click on any link there it drop me out of the site to some advertised page
It is frustrating and now I cannot recomend opensibtitles.org to my friends to share subtitles.

It was not like that several month ago

oss
Site Admin

Re: Lots of adds on main page

Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:25 am

please specify "a lot of ads". on www.opensubtitles.org - main page - is popunder, that means, when you click on site, it will pop some ad. Then it is 728x90 and 160x600 banner. That should be all

If you are trying to use adblock - well, you will get ad anyway.

bobbie424242

Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:12 pm

yesterday, the login or register link intermittently redirected to a page for a fake "Adobe Flash" dmg installer (on Mac) which is malware:
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/a943 ... /analysis/

I could not reproduce it today but this is not good.

Please verify that the site security and web pages have not been compromised.
Let's hope this is not advertising going berserk.

oss
Site Admin

Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:52 am

thanks for comment. I will check the pop under agency, if they not change something (we didnt change the agency)

one more thing. are you using adblock ? Do you get same pop using adblock and without it, or it is different ?

bobbie424242

Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:18 pm

Thank you for looking into it.

Yes, I'm using Adblock Plus (on Firefox 50 running under macOS).
This morning, I clicked on the Log-In link on the main page and it redirected to that pesky fake Flash installer:
http://cdn.freelob.com/lp/?btp_h=516003 ... ayer-npapi
After that I clicked on various links on the site and it did not happen again.

But yesterday and after posting my previous message, I had several cases of clicking a site link on the main page ("forum", "about us") redirecting to downloading different malware dmg than the Flash oe mentionned above. I was redirected to MacKeeper or something and I've even seen (only once) the register link redirecting to register to another movie related site !!!.
This is very intermittent so after these redirects happens it may not happen for a while. But it will happen sooner or later eventually.

I turned of Adblock and will see how it goes. Not sure this is macOS specific but the download I got sure are mac specific.

bobbie424242

Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:14 pm

Also happening accessing the web site with Chrome on Android (no Adblock nor adblocking of any kind). The Log-In link sometimes redirects to this page (I've also seen a redirect to an alternate page):

https://kazumedia.com/registration?them ... 4b5bd18ae9

Not good :(.

This is problematic because I'm in the process of adding opensubtitles support into an Android app and I send users to the opensubtitles.org log-in page for creating an account (if necessary).
But if misbehaves as it is currently, I may have to wait this is fixed.

oss
Site Admin

Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:42 am

I am sending you PM to solve this issue

bobbie424242

Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:24 pm

I am sending you PM to solve this issue

I send the PM. Any news on this ?

Opening http://www.opensubtitles.org in Chrome on Android for the first time (no cookies) shows this popup:

Clicking OK redirect to site below, clicking Cancel opens the proper opensubitles page. Can you fix this ?

oss
Site Admin

Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:23 am

I see. the first message should be changed to something less misleading, 3rd party ad company is doing this, so I will contact them to change it.

willieaames

Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:26 pm

Use adblocker.

Elanelan

Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:31 pm

I just cancelled my membership because of the increasing bullshit on this site.

Bye!

hector

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:56 am

I'm not cancelling my membership yet, but I understand you.
Pop-ups have increased a lot lately. I'm not talking about ads but pop-ups. That's a very bad practice.

I undertand this is how the web and "free" services work nowadays. But keep in mind I have contributed with A LOT of original work (time) and I'm not charging you, OS for that. If this goes on like this I'll find another means to publish my work.

Now I'm getting not only one but up to 3 pop-ups in one session.

oss
Site Admin

Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:10 pm

hector, user should get just one popup. Are you logged in ?

hector

Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:27 pm

Now I'm logged in.

Right now the count is 2.

First one in main page, clicking anywhere, I think. Then I do a search and in the results page I gen another one:

http://adexchangeprediction.com/script/packcpm.php

with 7 redirections OMG

oss
Site Admin

Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:30 pm

When you are logged in you are getting popunders ? Or only when you are not logged in?

Return to “General talk”