Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
craiggrummitt

Decoding Japanese and Korean subtitles

Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:02 pm

Hi, I have an iOS app using the open subtitles API, all works great, but I've had problems decoding the Japanese and Korean subtitles. I've tried every available encoding algorithm, with no luck. Does anyone know if I'm missing something obvious regarding how these languages would be encoded?

Thanks!
Craig

MarcoTC
Subtitles Admin

Re: Decoding Japanese and Korean subtitles

Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:09 am

You will never know in what encoding the uploader saved the file. There isn't a standard for textfiles.
Opensubtitles can convert them for you in Unicode/UTF8. No guarantees that it always works but it's a lot better. Unfortunately, you can't download them via XMLRPC but you can change the URL you get back from the API.

See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15228 and this one: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14992
That worked for me.

craiggrummitt

Re: Decoding Japanese and Korean subtitles

Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:41 pm

Great idea, I'll look into this approach. Thanks for the reply.

Return to “Developing”