Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
dbaalborg

osTools [0.3.0]

Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:42 am

Hi all,

I am pleased to announce the release of OpenSubtitles.org Tools 0.3.0!

OpenSubtitles.org Tools 0.3.0 - Released November 3rd, 2007.
Download --> Windows or Sources (for Linux, Mac OS, etc.)

This (python) program would like to be useful to subtitle uploaders, as it's main goal is to check the subtitles that have been uploaded by any registered OpenSubtitles.org user... Future features could include upload graphs and statistics, user comparison, etc. It has no pretension of becoming another subtitle uploading program :).

I would like to ask YOU if you would be kind enough to install it and try it out a bit, and report any bugs or suggestions in this post.

As of version 0.3.0, Linux and Mac OS are now supported too! To run osTools on these platforms, please download and extract the sources, then run

Code: Select all

python ./osTools.py
Thank you for helping me by testing osTools!

++
dbaalborg

P.S.: For those geeks out there, you can always get a development version from the svn repository... I try to always get a working application in the svn, if a special functionality has to be developed, I put it in a branch so as not to interfere with the trunk... (if you don't understand what I'm talking about, nevermind!)

History:

Release 0.3.0 - 2007-11-03 FIX - osTools now works properly under Linux (Ubuntu at least) CHG - The progress dialog routines are changed, now when downloading subs, a second gauge is displayed. FIX - Accents now display properly under Linux Release 0.2.0 - 2007-10-28 FIX - Corrected a bug happening when there is no Internet connection available for the version checking. CHG - Added Project Website in the Help menu. CHG - Modified the tab displaying the subtitles: removed "Movie Hash", added "# of CDs", and changed the order of the information. FEAT - Added the "Flush Local Information" option CHG - nicknames.xml and further data are stored in the new "data" directory FEAT - Data is cached locally now, if there is no newly uploaded subtitles, the display is instantaneous CHG - Center the window at startup FEAT - Add a right-click menu to close the opened tabs FIX - Corrected a subs right-click menu generation error FEAT - Add a menu option to close the currently opened tab Release 0.1.0 - 2007-06-28 CHG - The "subs" class is now derived from UserDict, for direct use in the list display CHG - The subs are displayed chunk by chunk, each time a new page is downloaded, instead of everytime deleting the list and repopulating it entirely. Removes the flashing effect when there are a lot of subs. FEAT - Now possible to stop a download in progress by closing the progress dialog. The GUI is updated to reflect this interuption. CHG - The progress dialogs are now correctly centered regarding the main window. CHG - New version checking algorithm. CHG - Images path changed from "\\X\\Y.png" to "./X/Y.png" for Linux compliance. Release 0.0.1 - 2007-06-26 initial public version released: Basic tabbed interface, with user selection (previous users are saved in an XML file) and a sortable list showing the different subtitles uploaded by a user. A right click on any subtitle will popup a menu proposing to either go to the subtitle's page on OS, or go to the movie's IMDB page.
Last edited by dbaalborg on Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:32 pm, edited 9 times in total.

oss
Site Admin

Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:44 pm

here works OK (win xp), nice tool anyway, I'd like to see what will be added in next release(s) :)

dbaalborg

Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:19 pm

New release: 0.1.0... See first post for more infos!
If you have already installed a previous version of osTools, it should warn you of the presence of this new version when you start the program!

eduo

Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:35 pm

Nice. Let's take a look at this.

Quick question: How are hashes for subtitles calculated? The normal algorithm for the movies doesn't apply because a lot of the hashes are smaller than 65K. What should be done in these cases?

Should the full size of the file be considered as the "first" and "last" chunks of 65K?

dbaalborg

Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:22 am

I´m sorry eduo, but I don´t understand your question... I don´t calculate hashes, the goal of osTools is only to be able to have some feedback on who uploaded subtitles etc., if you are interested in this kind of information...
I feel that you have written this message in the wrong topic, no?

eduo

Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:09 pm

I´m sorry eduo, but I don´t understand your question... I don´t calculate hashes, the goal of osTools is only to be able to have some feedback on who uploaded subtitles etc., if you are interested in this kind of information...
I feel that you have written this message in the wrong topic, no?
Not really, but I may have misunderstood what ostools does :)

I haven't used it, as I tried but it didn't run as-is in MacOS and I wasn't in the mood to hack into it like I did with SD. But I thought it would use the hash for the subtitles as SD does.

I asked somewhere else and got the answer: Subtitles are hashed using standard MD5. The hash stored in the OS Database to know if a subtitle already exists is MD5.

dbaalborg

Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:11 pm

Yeah sorry, actually osTools (for now at least) only displays information about uploaded subtitles. It is only useful if you want to monitor different uploaders... It has for the moment no other use, héhé...

Anuway, I am currently not able to work on it, but I might restart in October.

++
dbaalborg

ixquic

Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:49 pm

It's also nice for a quick overview of your own uploads without having to endure the weblag. It would be even faster if it could store the data for the monitored users locally and just update it when I view it, in the background. (Is it possible to do differential updates by XMLRPC? "Give me all changes since datetime_last_update")

I miss columns for number of CDs and IMDb#, and an option to display languages as ISO-639 codes. Big applause for NOT using those pesky flags!

And I just realized it's one year since I upped the first subtitle here...

dbaalborg

osTools [0.2.0] released!

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:30 pm

Hi,

A little post to announce that osTools 0.2.0 has finally been released, after 4 months of long vacations!

Please test it and give me your suggestions!

++
dbaalborg

dbaalborg

osTools [0.3.0] released!

Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:25 pm

Hi,

A little post to announce that osTools 0.3.0 has been released! This version introduces Linux support (tested on Ubuntu 7.10). Please report any issues you might have with Linux (run it from the sources)

++
dbaalborg

eduo

Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:18 am

For those that want the sources, the link above is not it. This is the link to the sources:

OSTools Source Code 3.0

To run it go to the directory where the sources are uncompressed and do:

python ./osTools.py
This works correctly for Apple Macintosh Mac OS X users.

Dbaalborg: 7zip is not really a standard compression format in the linux world. I'd suggest using something standard like tar.gzip or zip.

dbaalborg

Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:56 pm

Thanks eduo for your feedback on Mac OS X. I've changed the download link in the first message, and also changed the source archive to a zip file...

eduo

Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:38 pm

I vote for Zerenodo to be banned and his account deleted, considering he's voluntarily spamming the forum.

oss
Site Admin

Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:12 am

Eduo - you can write me those things via PM, they are spamming for backlinks, if you quote that backlink, he gets 2 backlinks...

ofcourse there is no doubt about spamming, I will delete him right now.

capiscuas

integration in subdownloader v2

Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:29 am

Hi dbaalborg, thanks for your tool, I'm Ivan the creator of Subdownloader, I'm active again working for the Subdownloader2.0 which I hope to release in a nearly future.

Would you be interested in collaborated to integrate your efforts inside Subdownloader (let's say in a Historial tab or something like that?) we need fresh developers like you in the project (many commercial programs are copying subdownloader idea and we must face them).

Best Regards.
Looking forward for new from u and newer versions of OStools.
My jabber IM is [email protected]

Best Regards.

Return to “Programs using OS”