Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
border Reiver

Hard/Forced/Partial Subs

Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:15 am

Hi Folks

Just joined this site/forum.

And there is loads on it.
So much so I am lost.
What I need help with is, When downloading a Movie which is English spoken but has some foreign language you usually get Subs at those parts, but I have noticed in a few Movie's that they do not.

I would like to find out if there is anywhere online that can tell you what Movie's have these partial Subs? (sometime's if you have not seen the movie, you would be unaware that the movie should have them.)

And also (for instance RONIN) which has partial subs in it for the French speaking parts, is there any symbol on the NFO of the various sub files available which tells me that it is only Partial and not a Full subtitle file?

Thanks folks

Border Reiver

oss
Site Admin

Re: Hard/Forced/Partial Subs

Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:01 am

there is no way, how to find out, only way for now is only when uploader make comment about this.

Do we need another special flag for this ?

scooby007
Site Admin

Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:09 pm

Usually those kind of movies have hard-coded subtitles already in them, but sometimes that isn’t the case. Users still upload for those movies and label the file (in the release name) “For foreign parts only” or the full sub can often contain the foreign parts within them. Not all users will no if the full movie subtitle has foreign parts included, unless they made the file or watched the movie with the sub before uploading. It's best to look for a movie that has the foreign dialogue already hard-coded, as partial subtitles are rare and can also take their sweet time coming out.

@ oss

I guess that flag could come in useful for the partial subtitles. The heading should be clear to avoid confusion, especially in regards to where and when to use it.

border Reiver

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:34 pm

I have noticed that some movies with Hard Coded Subs come out soon after the first releases come out, just got to hope that they are of decent quality and for me not to be overly keen to just download the first files out.

A flag would be good and look forward to that if and when it appears.

Thanks guys

Border Reiver

arcchancellor

Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:49 am

By the way - if the subs are not really hardcoded, but only forced and you don't want to see it, you can realize this with IFOEdit.
"I don't believe in God. I just believe in Billy Wilder" - Fernando Trueba

ehpd

Finding Partial English Subs for Movies with Foreign Scenes

Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:22 pm

I apologise if this is a stupid question, but I'm finding it very hard work to locate partial subtitles for English language movies that have some part of the movie in a foreign language. For example, today I watching Death Sentence (2007) which I had ripped from Blu-ray and since Handbrake doesn't support Blu-ray subs, I have no subtitles in the MKV file. Some way into the movie there is a conversation that takes place in Spanish, so I downloaded every single "Engish" .srt file for the movie on opensubtitles.org and every single one either omitted the Spanish conversation completely or had "IN SPANISH" in place of the actual Spanish dialog which I found spectacularly unhelpful.

I'm confused, because this doesn't seem like an unusual scenario; many English language movies have foreign scenes and almost every English speaking person would surely want subtitles for just those parts of the movie, yet such partial subtitles seem near impossible to find. For at last 5 movies now I have managed to pull whole movie srt files down from opensubtitles.org and manually edit out all the lines that relate to English language dialog and I have re-uploaded the edited versions, but this is a joyless task as it means continually stopping the movie to edit a text file whilst watching and sometimes I can't even find a full .srt file that includes the foreign language parts.

Do such partial subtitles exist and I'm just too stupid to find them? Or is there some reason they typically don't exist? I can't believe it's for lack of demand. Finally, can I request that some provision be made on the site to flag partial subtitles? (My suggestion would be that it's considered a separate language on the language list - i.e. "English (Foreign parts only)" in addition to just plain "English") so that if the partial subtitles don't exist on opensubtitles.org, it is at least easy to tell that without downloading 20+ different files

UserInterface

Re: Finding Partial English Subs for Movies with Foreign Sce

Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:36 am

Another TAG would be excelent. I don't mind editing some movies to delete out unwanted parts but at the moment I am the only one doing it (For personal use).
If you add some tag we should be able to get a few people doing this, and it reduces the strain.

As it stands there is no way to find what you are after and i find that I am downloading up to 40 subs to see if it already exists, by this time i could have just watched the movie once and removed all unwanted parts.

scooby007
Site Admin

Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:38 pm

Carry on doing what you do. In the "Release name" field just fill it in as: DVDRip.Xvid.AC3-Freebee (Foreign parts only)

If not in this version of opensubtitles, the tag should be available in the new version of opensubtitles which should be released soon.

magic25

Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:39 am

What you are looking into is impossible. I wish it can be done sooner or later.
Magic is when you believe it.

Willie_Heckerslyke

Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi all...new to this forum and movie ripping etc in general really. I found this thread by searching for what I'm after, which is the same as the OP!

My problem is that I'm starting to use DNLA to serve my ripped movies, using Serviio as my server. I can stream the subs but can't turn them off, so unless I have ripped just the 'forced' subs (which I've only just found out how to do...so most of my movie collection therefor has the full movie subbed) I have to have subs on for the entire movie!

I'm suprised (now I've found out that you actually can just rip out the forced, or foreign language, part of the movies, that they aren't more widely available...I mean, that's the ONLY part that you really need if the film is your own language after all!

I have ripped mkv movies with Forced subs but they are all in vobsub format. any attempt I've made to convert them to srt have failed so far. I've tried subrip and avidemux so far but both came up with errors (can't remember what they were exactly tbh..)

Very frustrated at the mo....but I'm sure I'll get there eventually.

SimplyTheBOSS
Site Admin

Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:53 am

I have ripped mkv movies with Forced subs but they are all in vobsub format. any attempt I've made to convert them to srt have failed so far. I've tried subrip and avidemux so far but both came up with errors (can't remember what they were exactly tbh..)

Very frustrated at the mo....but I'm sure I'll get there eventually.

Here is one way to do it:

- Convert your Matroska (.mkv) file to DVD, you can do it example with ConvertXtoDVD:
http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

-Then just rip subtitles from DVD with SubRip.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Subrip

That's it.

arcchancellor

Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:17 pm

I can stream the subs but can't turn them off...
You mean extract them or deactivate them? In a DVD or in a mkv? You can extract and/or deactivate them in both formats, except they are hardburned.
I have ripped mkv movies with Forced subs but they are all in vobsub format.
You mean, you have ripped movies from a DVD to Matroska and you can't convert the graphical based vobsusb in a textbased srt? Convert the subs first directly from the DVD and later mux the converted srt in the mkv-Container.
any attempt I've made to convert them to srt have failed so far. I've tried subrip and avidemux so far but both came up with errors (can't remember what they were exactly tbh..)
What errors exactly? Some kind of an error message?
You know, that the OCR-Programs at first must learn to recognize your subs, so that they ask you in the beginning, what letter every unkknown sign is?
Then you type in the right letter and at the next time the program will recognize this letter automaticly.

I suppose, you work under a microsoft os?
In some few cases the recognition of subs with subrip is a little difficult.
Then try DVDSubEdit. You'll find it here:
http://download.videohelp.com/DVDSubEdit/

It works in these cases, but you must correct the output with a spellcheck manually anyway.
"I don't believe in God. I just believe in Billy Wilder" - Fernando Trueba

ixquic

Thu May 26, 2011 1:25 pm

One thing you can try if Subrip gives you trouble is rename the .idx file and only open the .sub file. (The .idx file is used automatically if it has the same name.) Of course without an index file it doesn't know what language the subtitles are, so you have to set the language yourself.

james_t

Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:08 am

Sorry if this is not good forum etiquette but I read rules and did searches

Has any easy way to find partial subs been figured out?

Does anyone make them from full english sub files? if so can you pm me and we can collaborate and help each other so we all aren't doing subs for the same stuff wasting time that could be spent on other files?

thanks,

my name is james, i'm new here. it's nice meeting y'all

tdawg

Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:55 pm

Am I correct in assuming this flag was never implemented?

The issue really is that posters don't seem to be terribly consistent in how they identify these "foreign parts only" files. I've seen "foreign", "foreign only", "foreign parts only", "(insert language here) parts only", "forced", "forced only", and several others. It makes searching specifically for these types of subtitles very difficult. We can easily miss excellent work by posters, simply because it doesn't contain a standardized comment in the description.

As I rip one of my DVDs, I don't know whether the video has foreign dialog that needs to be subtitled unless I happen to remember from a previous viewing (if I ever even viewed the movie/show before).

A standardized flag that could be associated with a subtitle file and checked or unchecked during a search would be far more consistent and find-able, so we didn't have to rely on whatever the poster's whim might have been when creating the description. That way I could search for a movie, and say "only show files with foreign language subtitles", and see if they even exist, without having to comb through page after page of files looking for some clue in the description.

I did notice the "Hearing-impaired" flag, which could actually possibly perform this service, but I only seem to be able to search for movies with H-I subtitles rather than movies without (which theoretically should be only foreign language parts).

The tag was discussed almost 5 years ago, but it doesn't look like it ever made it into the site. Unless I'm blind and am completely missing it.

Anyone?

Return to “General talk”