Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
billylopez

Problem with "open subtitles mkv player" TROJAN??

Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:01 am

I have downloaded the installer for "Open Subtitles MKV Player " and i can not install it because AVG says it is a trojan??????
This is very alarming to me because on the website it states that "Open Subtitles MKV Player for Windows, it is ofcourse for free, without any malicious software"

So can someone please explain????

oss
Site Admin

Re: Problem with "open subtitles mkv player" TROJAN??

Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:09 pm

please which version, downloaded from where you are using ? latest official 4.6 is this:
http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/rep ... 1300400381

and it doesnt show any virus or malware.

billylopez

Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:43 pm

I have re-downloaded the player and now I can install it with no problems....
the installer I had before was an older version or some thing??.... but I've had it for a while now and never installed it but when I tried to install it a few weeks ago AVG gave me a warning...
Since then i have upgraded my AVG to the latest version (10) and downloaded the player again and have been able to install the player..

Sorry for the inconvenience

BILLY

davidparks21

Discrepency & issues downloading latest version

Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:23 pm

The latest version, stated on the download page is: v4.6
(http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/player)

But when you click on the download link the page shows the version is: v4.5
(http://www.brothersoft.com/download-ope ... 37467.html)

Also, the download that I obtained on this page was rejected by AVG as having a trojan: PWS-SpyEye!env.a

davidparks21

Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:01 am

In reply to the previous thread, I'm running AVG 10.0.1204 with the most recent virus DB as per the auto-update, and downloaded the file multiple times to ensure I made no mistakes in the comments I made. Also the discrepancy in version #'s between the two pages is alarming.

No issue is found when I scan the installer [OpenSubtitlesPlayer.exe], however when I execute the application I get the following popup from AVG (in detail):

Malware detected
-----------------------
File name: C:\USERS\DAVIDPARKS21\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\IS-F0A0K.TMP\OPENSUBTITLESPLAYER.TMP
Thread name: PWS-SpyEye!env.a
Severity level: <4 red boxes shown here>
Category: Trojan
Description: This is a known Trojan/Backdoor. It is recommended that you quarantine this threat.

oss
Site Admin

Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:23 am

David:

I try everything to find out, if there is virus/trojan within installation, but it seems no. I used latest Avira antivir, it doesnt detect anything. Then I uninstall it, and install AVG, it is free version, virus DB 1498/3521, AVG Version 10.0.1204 and when I run Open Subtitles MKV Player v4.6 I dont get any warning or so.

So I like to know what is going on.

On Brothersoft is v4.6 (we request update there), or in other words, when you download (even v4.5 was written there), download points already to 4.6

Thanks for info, and if you can, you can update us with virus info, it should be clean installation!

Aphugel

Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:32 am

Downloaded 4.6 today from Brothersoft.
AVG says Trojan.
Quarantined it.

So, no, the 4.6 version is NOT clean.

Cheers

oss
Site Admin

Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:44 am

Guys,

I can simulate AVG behavior. Also I check AVG for false positives, so this is one of them, check yourself - just put in the google name of trojan and false positive, and you can read about it.

Next thing, AVG found this malware, only when installing OS Player (or Sub searcher), but not when it is running. It seems it is caused by installation program (when we bundle facemoods toolbar and our programs).

Program is safe to run, otherwise AVG wouldn't be only one antivirus which give this warning, right ?

Check also this:

http://www.nod32home.com.7.virscan.org/ ... af328.html

Open Subtitles MKV Player and Movie Subtitles Searcher are clean.

benevilent

Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:58 am

I got an email (supposedly from opensubtitles.org) with a link for downloading the opensubtitles mkv player. I was directed to brothersoft site for download. when I went to install, I got a warning from Norton antivirus that only 100 people in the past month had installed this software and it couldn't be verified as safe. That didn't sound quite right to me so I did some investigating.
I found numerous bad reviews for brothersoft and so deleted the download. I googled the opensubtitles mkv player and found reputable sites such as AfterDawn and Cnet had download links also and downloaded from Afterdawn with no problems there. I believe Brothersoft has hijacked opensubtitles' link and is redirecting downloaders to their site. Also the file name from brothersoft is slightly different and the file size is 19.7 MB instead of the 19.3 MB from other mirrors.

BEWARE of ANYTHING from BrotherSoft or similarly named sites!

davidparks21

Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:40 am

If you have a link to a site that has a copy that doesn't trigger AVG and the PWS-SpyEye!env.a trojan please post a link. I tried searching for other sites and found this site (what I would expect is authorative):
http://dl.opensubtitles.org/player/a-do ... Player.exe

But I get the alert from AVG with this version as well.

As for the developer testing this, has anyone actually submitted this as a false positive to AVG? I am not comfortable ignoring an AVG warning on my primary computer. Especially considering PWS-SpyEye!env.a is a password stealer. If I'm wrong, this could cost me dearly. And I'm not quite motivated enough to install this on a separate virtual machine to find out.

For the time being I'll stick with my 4.5 version.

zippert1

Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:00 am

All - thank you for the posts and suggestions. It was very helpful. Maybe a problem with AVG? I switched to something else.
searching for answers...

Return to “General talk”