Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
patimages

how comes your site is so slow !!!!

Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:36 pm

Hi,

your site is almost impossible to reach ! you need forever to connect ! I really love it but often, I have to get my subs elsewhere as I cannot connect ! please do something !

oss
Site Admin

Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:56 pm

yes it is. This is caused some loong database query, also one webserver is not so powerful as it should be.

We have to recode request section (it is using some really weird subquerries) and server should be faster. We are aware of this issue and thanks for your opinion

eduo

Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:47 pm

OS: Do you have any statistics on traffic and bandwidth usage?

I'd be interested in knowing what's the disk usage, database usage, bandwidth usage and transfer stats.

I say this because I'm not sure what's planned for OpenSubtitles but I do know I have some free bandwidth and disk usage in my own hosting solution and if there is any way to provide some sort of mirroring (transparent to the user, no actual webpages, only mirroring xml services) I'd be willing to investigate offering some of my own resources.

oss
Site Admin

Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:10 pm

I have some stats, but nothing overall.

For bandwidth - actually, opensubtitles.org is on 3 servers, 2 webs and 1 database. I bought also 1 more server, it was meant as db server (slave), but mysql replication is quite hard to do (it works 1 day!).

For bandwidth no problem - I just need buy better web server, (web2) because it is slow - sometimes it has load 15, and web1 has load 3, so...we use DNS round robin, so it is possible this is caused by this.

For db server - it is quite fast, but some sorting takes really long, and myisam tables are locked, so others must wait and I dont have timeout for query, but I have to setup that too.

Thank you for your offer, but I don't know how to use it. I have some free server too, so this is not big deal.

Thank you anyway, eduo!

Lumbriga

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:22 am

Im just curious, dont have any numbers, but check this alexa graph. When you grow like that its kinda hard to keep up with demmand.

Way to go OS :)

eduo

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:02 am

Lumbriga: Especially when you consider how inadequate and inexact Alexa graphics are (they only consider users that have the Alexa toolbar for Windows installed, so it ignores really large segments of users (users without the toolbar in Windows and, obviously, users from any other computing platform)).

The graphic you've included, although it looks impressive it really isn't. It shows a growth of less than a tenth of 1 percent in almost a year. I'm sure the growth has been hundreds of times higher than this. It really shows how misleading seeing a graphic can be. This graphic actually says there hasn't been almost any growth at all.

OS: Maybe what you can consider is mirroring of the subtitle files? I could spare some disk space and traffic.

A mirror is not like redundant simultaneous servers. Sync can be done periodically (instead of continually). It may be easier on the server and bandwidth, if not anything else.

How much space is occupied by all the subtitles? How many files are there?

If you think this is none of my business let me know. I'm sincerely taking an interest in helping out :)

oss
Site Admin

Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:48 pm

eduo - you have right with alexa graph, but not at all, Lumbriga just wanted to show, there is really bigger and bigger demand :)

I thought about making one static server - where should be files stored (images, css, js, subtitles maybe...), I will talk about it with DanGer. Eduo, thanks for help, but now we can setup boxes and everything else ourselves. But THANK YOU anyway, I really appreciate that.

eduo

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:32 am

As you wish. I'm just trying to help.

By the way, my comment was precisely that the Alexa graph does not represent your real growth. It shows less than 1% growth in the whole period and I'm sure your growth has been many times that.

oss
Site Admin

Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:46 am

it is not about %1 percent growth, you can read about Alexa graph on their site.
http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traff ... titles.org
http://www.alexa.com/site/help/traffic_learn_more

eduo

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:48 pm

Os: I can explain the graph if you want. I know how Alexa works, I've worked in ISPs since 1995. I'm telling you Alexa doesn't even come close to telling you your actual growth (Google Analytics would be a much better choice).

Alexa shows the pageviews growing by less than 2%, which is clearly incorrect. Alexa's "Reach" statistic is a misleading and incorrect number, something that is widely known.

Please, don't rely on Alexa, it's widely documented why its results are incorrect and misleading.

http://www.johnchow.com/index.php/why-a ... worthless/
http://www.shawn-knight.net/why-alexa-r ... e-garbage/

Half a dozen users with the toolbar installed is all it takes to completely skew the Alexa results.

(Or according to this person, with just three people:

http://www.calacanis.com/2006/11/24/ale ... three-mac/

)

Now, I know you may get better results if alexa's rank goes up, but it's still a Lie. It's a good thing for getting advertisers, but it's NOT a good measure of the actual site's importance or usage.

I know more about Alexa, advertising, hosting and general statistics than I'm in the mood of explaining, so please just believe me. Alexa is not even near at the actual usage of your site. Don't rely on it. Just use it for the advertising.

oss
Site Admin

Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:19 pm

hehe, too wrong, you already dont work at some "big" ISP, I need contact from there :)

ok, I know how alexa works, and I basically agree with you - it is good for advertisment, yeah :)

ofcourse I am using google analytics too. But I sometimes looking at alexa, if I want compare two websites (for changing links for example), I think it is first thing, I have to do, to have overall picture about partner website traffic. I know it should be totally wrong, but I think it is not. In some industry it could be (for example we have domain ILikeLinux.com, in real world it should have more traffic as ILikeWindows.com, we know why). But if I compare opensubtitles.org agains some other subtitles site - I think it is +-10% same. Ofcourse, there are also regional differences and so on.

Just my thought, alexa is not good statistical tool, but we can comapre traffic among same industry sites.

Lumbriga

Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:53 am

Yup, its a good reference tool.

Btw the graphic shows a 300% growth, not 2%.

----

And portuguese subs seems to be popular around here :mrgreen:

oss
Site Admin

Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:36 am

:)

also I am posting to this thread - why is website so slow...we upgraded servers (read more on blog), and did some optimalization, so it seems, website is really fast nowadays.

Also Portuguese subtitles are very popular, yeah :)

eduo

Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:23 am

Yup, its a good reference tool.

Btw the graphic shows a 300% growth, not 2%.

----

And portuguese subs seems to be popular around here :mrgreen:
Lumbriga: The graph shows a growth in reach of less than 2%. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Growing from 0.01% to 0.04% may be 300% growth but, as you'd imagine, with numbers this small it's misleading to state it like that.

I stand corrected though, I could've phrased this better.

My original statement was not supposed to mean that OS hadn't grown at all, by the way. On the contrary, it meant that Alexa is not reliable (even if it's commonly used). It works as a tool to get more advertising but internally does not represent real life growth.

makus

Mon May 07, 2007 11:34 pm

The Website is hardly to not useable, it's extremly slow.

However your proposal is huge so i still have to get the subs here.

pls keep on increasing speed its frustrating

Return to “Developing”