Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
bratao

Im developing a new search tool.

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:54 pm

Hi everyone,
The opensubtitles idea is fantastic,
But i have to tell the true, i really don´t like the subdownloader, crash like hell and it really dont fill the need of Brazilians users (that need extremely simplicty )

So i 2 days ago, start to code my own solution, it is written in RealBasic , that make real native and small executable for Win98-Vista /Linux/Mac.

It will be released on GPL licence, and the features already implemented is:
-Login
-Search by hash
-Automatic decompression
-Search by name( simplexml interface)

For do a release , i need finish the upload feature, and i need to know how to support you guys, placing a paypal button, a banner or what.. ?

For test, here the Win executable(remember is a high alpha, untested, please if you found something wrong, report me !) And he program language is portuguese !
http://www.host-on.com.br/dreamule/legendador.zip

eduo

Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:06 pm

Bratao:

It's funny. I have just finished making the code for generating the hash and had entered to see what was the best option for something like this. I too don't really like SubDownloader and would rather have a more straightforward tool.

I must say this has nothing to do with Brazilian users, it's just that SubDownloader if for a specific kind of user and there are a lot of us for which is not adequate (and yes, it crashes amazingly often).

I had decided to go with a modular approach. Making small executables for each part so in each platform people can mix and match their preferred solution.

What are you programming this in? are you doing command-line or GUI tools?

I'd rather have CLI tools that can have a front-end. It also helps people in all platforms, as unix users tend to like CLI tools more for automation.

Can you share your sourcecode or would you rather not do so?

bratao

Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:48 pm

I´m doing a similar modular approach too.
If you check the zip, you can see a cli for make hash and compress, It´s spited from the Gui

I´m not read to release the source yet, but maybe we can work together, sharing code.

If there some instant message way that we can enter in touch , please send by PM.

:D

eduo

Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:08 pm

The zip is a windows executable. I don't do Windows. I can't use it.

oss
Site Admin

Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:40 am

Bratao, good work. Are you releasing this only for portuguese / brazilian portuguese users ?

For paypal - just use your button, and if you get some donation, jsut share with us. For now, we have income from ads (ugly ads...).

Also, check for XMLRPC methods, now is possible translate programs too. Take a look at http://subdownloader.sourceforge.net/wi ... XmlRpc_Api maybe you will find something interesting.

Also do tests on test server, if you have some question dont hasitate contact me directly. And keep code :)

Eduo: tell us, when you will ready with the first version. I tried to port generate hashes to perl code, but it seems it is harder than I thought:
http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=605343

capiscuas

Congratulations

Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:52 am

Hi everyone,
I'm the developper of SubDownloader and co-creator of the osdb idea with Branos.

And I'm glad that other clients are being coded to interact with the server, that was the initial idea of releasing the code and make the protocol open.

I know that subdownloader doesn't surpasse the expectations of some people because it crashes and sometimes it's not simple, I'm working really hard here trying to make it better every day in my short free time. :-)
I invite everybody to take a look to the svn and try to improve the code with me. If not, I hope that we can collaborate each other and exchange new ideas.

My jabber user is [email protected], pls feel free to add me.

Best regards. IVAN.

eduo

Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:16 pm

Capiscuas: Gracias por la idea de OSDB. Se necesitaba algo asi.

The idea, as I've been saying all along is wonderful and I must admit SubDownloader is a great piece of work for the short time it was developed on.

My problem with SubDownloader is that it doesn't work properly anywhere. Obviously it's not really worth running it in Linux or Mac, as it needs so much tweaking and modifications it's almost painful. But in Windows as you've seen there are lots of problems as well (especially libraries misbehaving, both from Microsoft, wx and py2exe).

Since the first day I've wanted to code something for the subtitles and you've provided enough infrastructure for anyone to go ahead and try it. I don't have much time either (I'm most active at weekends, really) but I'll try to help with as much as I can.

I do have a clear picture of what the tools would ideally be (I've explained as much in another post). I wish I had the time to implement them.

eduo

Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:27 pm

I do have a clear picture of what the tools would ideally be (I've explained as much in another post). I wish I had the time to implement them.
This is what I actually sent bratao and posted somewhere else:

Code: Select all

Do you have any plans on the tool? What I wanted to do is the following: CLI Side: 1.-Program to get the hash and filesize. I already have this in C++ and it's simple enough. Outputs filename, file size and hash on an input file. 3.-Program to fetch the list of subtitles available for a hash, filesize and language list. Outputs necessary data for a list to work afterwards. This can be done through xmlrpc or through an http request). 2.-Program to download the subtitles. Works in two modes: a.-Takes a moviehash and a language list. Downloads either all subtitles for the hash for those languages or the highest-rated/most recent/most downloaded. b.-Downloads specific subtitles (as output by step 2, which should provide a specific identifier for each anyway). In both cases a rename would be done to conform to the original file and location. For different language files it would use language indicators, for multiple files for the same language it would use a numbering scheme. i.e. movie.en.srt movie.sp.1.srt movie.sp.2.srt 3.-Program to upload the subtitles. Works in two modes: a.-Uploads a subtitle based on subtitle name, imdb-id (generic subtitle). It would be a good thing if there was an official naming scheme, so as to use that. I'd include the imdb-id used by os right now plus the os for episodes in series optionally as part of the name for the subtitle to be uploaded. b.-Uploads a subtitle based on moviehash, imdb-id (preferred). I think the website already checks a subhash and compares it to existing ones and if existing matches the movie to the subtitle through the hashes. Of course, all three behaviours could easily be in the same executable, depending on the switches used when invoking. GUI Side: Using the above CLI programs it would be easy to: 1.-Search for the subtitle or subtitles (multiple languages) or one or several movies (automatically downloading and renaming the subtitles so they work properly, as moviename.lang.srt, for example). The data is there, so it's just a matter of deciding what to do with it. 2.-Upload subtitles existing, with or without a matching movie. All subtitles should be matched to imdb before uploading (a requirement of opensubtitles at the moment) which can be done through a batch as well. 3.-Have a list of downloaded subtitles where they can be rated (opensubtitles.org REALLY needs some easy way to rate subtitles, and this could be it). You could see in a tab all the subtitles you've downloaded and from there be able to rate them from 1 to 10 and upload the rating. To the website. This is a GOOD thing to have. The GUI program could keep track of the files downloaded/uploaded. This way ratings could be set for downloaded subtitles and ratings could be seen for uploaded files, as well as comments. The advantage of going this way is multiple: -There can be GUI tools from other developers, using the same CLI tools. -There can be Web tools that use the CLI tools. -There could be plug-ins for VLC and MediaPlayer using the CLI tools. I may be missing something, but I think this is a good path and the most flexible one. Especially because changes to the GUI would not affect the CLI and viceversa.

nb000

Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:56 pm

DreamLegendador is a nice app,
could you make it tranlateable?
And it could search for other langs too.
It would be a nice subd replacement :-D
[b]nb000[/b]

oss
Site Admin

Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:08 pm

I agree. Also there is comming more and more applications, so I changed forum name. Also, it should be nice, it supports more languages for searching/uploading plus translate of interface. Everything for that is developed (really), so translators can translate any program on website (just like website). Good luck with this program.

My dreams slowly comes true. But I think, the best possibility is code DIRECTSHOW filter (windows...), and have these possibilities there. But I know it is not so easy.

Return to “Developing”