Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
teras

Developing an application to parse XML of opensubtitles.org

Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:28 am

Hello

I am an author of a subtitle editor, and I am thinking of adding a plugin to automatically download subtitles from this database. I am thinking about the API and if I am really allowed to do this directly, bypassing this web ineterface. I know that it is open, but still I feel like asking first.
Is there any tutorial about it, or should I find the way on my own?
Is this XML "API" something stable, or is it expected to change?

oss
Site Admin

Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:48 am

Hello,

tell me more about that subtitle editor, show me something you already coded. Also, why only download? I have created api (based on XMLRPC), which supports upload and so on.

XMLRPC is +- stable, it changes a bit, but I can help you - I think you need XML for searches, right ? try add "simplexml" at end of search url :)

teras

Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:41 am

It's called Jubler and it is open source.
You can find it in www.jubler.org, but I have advertise it already in a couple of sites, so I believe it is pretty known by now (especially in the Linux/Mac world).

I was thinking to support download at first, and probably add upload support later on. Small steps at a time :-)

OK I'll have a look and I'll come again!

Thank you for your interest :-)

teras

Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:51 am

OK, I tried to do whatever you said.
So for example I searched for "the wall"

The URL I used was something like

http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search2 ... /simplexml

Unfortunately this didn't work. The /xml did work though (what I was thinking to do).
Am I missing something?

oss
Site Admin

Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:56 am

simple xml works only on "search"
so link is:
http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search/ ... /simplexml

Jubler seems very nice. How it compare to SubtitleWorkShop ? We of course want support (direct upload to site) for these kinds of soft. We are also prepared to give these subtitles to other webs, if they are interested (so, translator shouldn't go to 10 websites and upload same subtitles 10th times)

teras

Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:54 pm

Jubler seems very nice. How it compare to SubtitleWorkShop ? We of course want support (direct upload to site) for these kinds of soft. We are also prepared to give these subtitles to other webs, if they are interested (so, translator shouldn't go to 10 websites and upload same subtitles 10th times)
I am not following the Subtitle Workshop implementation, but I am trying to reproduce most of it's functionality. I have reports that it is rather well. On the other hand it is the only really useful subtitle program for Linux and Mac, so I believe it worths it. I am not a windows user anyway.

Now, for the upload, I wil see what I can do. I am now implementing a couple of other things, so even downloading has to wait - although I strongly want to do it.

oss
Site Admin

Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:30 pm

ok, thats good news. I wish you good luck, and come here to report how's progress :)

eduo

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:32 pm

Ehrm... not to state the obvious but have you considered using the desired method for obtaining subtitles might be a better choice?

That is, use the hash routine (which can be replicated in any programming language, as it's very simple) and hash the video file you're subtitling. From there you can search for matching records.

Obviously name search is always useful, especially if you want a base subtitle to apply to your version and adapt to the differing timecodes. But I think hash-search should be integral as well (if you do translations, or if you want to review a crappy subtitle to improve it).

By the way, if you code Jubler my hat's off to you. Nice piece of work. Congratulations from a Linux/Mac user.

Now I'll try to keep thinking of some way to improve the Subtitle ratings, as they're currently not as useful as they could be,

teras

Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:27 am

Ehrm... not to state the obvious but have you considered using the desired method for obtaining subtitles might be a better choice?
Well, I am new here and I didn't even know that there is a "hash" option. Where can I get more information? And yes - thank you - some things are not obvious to all :-)
By the way, if you code Jubler my hat's off to you. Nice piece of work. Congratulations from a Linux/Mac user.
Comments like these give me strength to go on.

Return to “Developing”