Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
adipose

Test database

Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:41 pm

Since the new api is not ready yet, in mpc-hc we are still using the XML api. Is there a "test" area where we can upload and download subtitles to review any issues that have been reported?

In testing, opensubs almost always rejects uploaded subtitles, for unclear reasons. In particular UTF-8 encoded filenames is something I wanted to test.

Do many subtitles get uploaded from mpc-hc? We are considering disabling the feature, although we would prefer to have it working. It is difficult to confirm it functions correctly without a test area.

Thank you!

scooby007
Site Admin

Re: Test database

Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:26 pm

We do get quite a few subtitles uploaded with mpc-hc, so it could be a nifty feature to keep. Especially if it can also submit hashes to existing subtitles without a hash.
I think the rejection of subtitles being uploaded is another issue, as uploading with OS uploader also has issues and states "something went wrong" sometimes. I don't think the .srt format is the issue, although, I agree sometimes changing that format does seem to help with the upload giving a wrong impression that the issue was the format. This issue hasn't been fully figured out yet.

If oss doesn't respond here in the next couple of days, do send him a PM to give you access to a "test database" or use the "contact us" feature from the main site.

Thanks
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies who collect your data. Click below image for more details and reduce your online digital footprint.

oss
Site Admin

Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:52 pm

the problem is we dont have test area. What I suggest is to make new user, then upload subtitles under his account and then delete them.

adipose

Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:36 am

the problem is we dont have test area. What I suggest is to make new user, then upload subtitles under his account and then delete them.
That is ok by me. I will create an mpc-hc-test account, which hopefully will help you identify the uploads that are only testing.

Is there a way to get more detailed logs about why an upload was rejected?

oss
Site Admin

Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:02 am

Hi,

yes, thats ok. We don't provide more logs, usually when upload is not successful is:
- subtitle have wrong format
- subtitle contains banned strings (usually url)
- subtitle contains spam (often repeating sentences)
- server have problem - this happened today for short time :)

adipose

Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:33 am

Hi,

yes, thats ok. We don't provide more logs, usually when upload is not successful is:
- subtitle have wrong format
- subtitle contains banned strings (usually url)
- subtitle contains spam (often repeating sentences)
- server have problem - this happened today for short time :)
OK. Well, in one case I was uploading a sub that had UTF-8 chinese chars in the name. It uploaded fine from the web interface, but it failed when mpc-hc uploaded it. But there was no easy way to tell why.

adipose

Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:24 am

I made some progress and have seen an error flagging it as spam. But now, I get an error

416 - Internal subtitle validation failed.

What does this mean?

oss
Site Admin

Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:16 pm

ok, in this case, because mpc-hc (with some other players) was uploading sometimes bad subtitles (subtitles doesnt belong to movie) we are checking also if subtitle name (parts of it...) have something common with movie.

In this new upload you are coding, it will be done automatically, or on user request ? I can disable this check (send me PM with exact your User Agent)

adipose

Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:47 pm

ok, in this case, because mpc-hc (with some other players) was uploading sometimes bad subtitles (subtitles doesnt belong to movie) we are checking also if subtitle name (parts of it...) have something common with movie.

In this new upload you are coding, it will be done automatically, or on user request ? I can disable this check (send me PM with exact your User Agent)
That's strange, because the subtitle name and the video name were identical.

UA is currently "MPC-HC v1.9.8", but I can make a special one for testing.

oss
Site Admin

Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:27 am

ah I see. for mpc-hc was disabled some things and more checks was done, also I think when we had 2 subtitles for that imdb and language we didnt accept more uploads from some UA and so on...are uploads checked by human before it is uploaded?

adipose

Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:37 am

ah I see. for mpc-hc was disabled some things and more checks was done, also I think when we had 2 subtitles for that imdb and language we didnt accept more uploads from some UA and so on...are uploads checked by human before it is uploaded?
The upload facility basically allows you to upload the subtitle you currently are using. So, in theory, it has been checked by using it to view the video. If a file were distributed with a subtitle, it could be uploaded to OS.org without much effort.

I see a number of uploads are done with MPC-HC. In testing, UTF-8 encoded subs seem to fail, possible, but I can't even get one to upload so far.

adipose

Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:21 am

I've now started getting a response asking for a capthca (odd when using the API to get redirected to a captcha!). Maybe this is for Kodi users?

adipose

Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:54 am

So, this is pretty frustrating trying to make this work. I am getting two separate issues, depending on what I try:

1. If I upload a subtitle using only ASCII characters, OS returns an empty response with code 200. So, it doesn't "fail," but an empty response isn't a success, either.

2. If I upload a subtitle using UTF-8 (Chinese), it sends me to a captcha page for Cloudflare. I have no idea why it would do this, but clearly the UTF-8 bytes are tripping something up. I don't have an interface for replying to a captcha, however, so it just fails at that point.

I have worked around spam detection and a couple other errors, but these are just a black box with no explanation of what is going wrong.

oss
Site Admin

Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:35 pm

Hi

it should be fixed, let us know - there was problem with setting in cloudflare for API.

Return to “Developing”