Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
hector

ASS and other subtitle file formats

Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:20 am

Hi.
I've been lately trying to exploit SSA and ASS capabilities. Experimenting with format, colors and all that.

I'm working with a specificacion for ASS V4.00+. I think this is a development over SSA V4.00.
That makes me think there were former versions of this format specificacion (up to version 4) but I couldn't find them anywhere. About the specification I have now, I found it somewhere in the Internet in MS Word (.doc) format. It doesn't seem vary formal and it has some voids and unclear things.

Does somebody know where can I get the SSA (V4) specification. Some things seem to have changed between V4.00 and V4.00+.

Could I have some figures about the file formats in OS? When I look around SRT seems to be the winner by large.
SSA/ASS, SRT, SMI, SUB, WebTT...

Is there an alternative to ASS if you want to use format?

oss
Site Admin

Re: ASS and other subtitle file formats

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:31 am

Hi,

you did pretty good job for finding out the specs, but honestly I dont know what is difference between two of them.

There is standard format https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebVTT - maybe this will help you.

here is stats from OS:

Code: Select all

srt 3643608 sub 386910 tmp 60568 ssa 59031 mpl 43923 txt 6951 smi 5232 vtt 53

hector

Re: ASS and other subtitle file formats

Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:20 am

Thanks. I think I'll have a look at WebVTT.

When I create SSA files I try to follow the specification but it is a little difficult when the specification is not very clear. So they could have interoperability problems.

Return to “Developing”