Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
oss
Site Admin

OS User Ranks, Donators

Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:15 pm

Hello,

recently I installed feedback feature from www.kampyle.com so I know about user thoughts more. I can give you some screenshots, but overall:

77% of people likes the site,
50% of compliments from all issues was sent

I read all feedback very carefully, and I can say I am happy with it. Of course there are some people, who really hate popunders and advertisments. Me too, I hate them, but it is evil TAX for having this website alive. Ok, now I thought, what I can do about it, so here it comes:

If somebody hate all those adverts, he can support opensubtitles. I will set it to 10 EUR (who want, can donate more:) per 1 YEAR and this supporter will get:
- opensubtitles without any banners and popunders and hidden ads :)
- nice logo next to nickname (in search, sub details, profile...)
- good feeling about donating good project :)

Also I will make user ranks something like this:
- if user is registered and he did not upload any subtitle he will be "Sub Downloader" or something like that (write here!)
- if he will upload 1-50 subtitles he will be "Bronze User" (
- if he will upload 50-100 subtitles he will be "Silver User"
- if he will upload more than 100 subtitles he will be "Gold User"

Advertising system:
anonymous visitor - he will see every ad what is on os.
logged user - no popunders
gold user or donator - no banners, no adverts
silver user - no banners, some adverts
bronze user - some banners, some adverts

What do you think about this ?

cotangent

Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:29 pm

Well, I really don't mind that much the adverts (as long as they are not malicious), but the new ranks, along with the super easy to use SubDownloader, made OpenSubtitles even nicer 8) The ladder may seem a little steep if someone uploads mainly their own translations though, but it's not that big a deal anyway, just wanted to point that out as a side effect of an otherwise fair reward system.

Return to “Developing”