Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
dragonya

russian subtitles

Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:37 am

how will I display russian subtitles in worldpad or notepad.when I download and open any russian subtitle....all the text like ??? this..
so I want to add to my divx movies english sub and russian..but couldnt russian..what can I do??

oss
Site Admin

Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:29 pm

hi, I dont understand, but if you play this movie with russian subtitles they are showing correctly ?

also there should be encoding problem, in notepad try to change codepage.

stardust

Re: russian subtitles

Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:43 pm

how will I display russian subtitles in worldpad or notepad.when I download and open any russian subtitle....all the text like ??? this..
so I want to add to my divx movies english sub and russian..but couldnt russian..what can I do??

go to regional and language setting in control panel and in the advanced options select Russian in the bar above. Then it'll ask to restard your pc and everything should be ok from now.

skurakai

Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:30 pm

Look on your WordPad. You need azbuka? So why is your language code Turkey? Change it for azbuka :) (Font: Courier New - Size: 10 - Charset: Azbuka (cyrylic?))

Friendlic

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:11 pm

That's why:

atu_ar

Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:52 am

Thank you!, very much Stardust!
i have allmost spend a hole day trying to get it working!.. then i found this forum and solved the problem !!..

and now i registeret me just becouse of this!
so thanks again m8! :D

mateo5009

Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:34 am

I've had this very same problem with Russian and Greek subtitles or any subtitles that use a different alphabet. I think that maybe your solution will work in some instances, but I have a different solution (the solution discussed on this post did not work for me).

This is what I did. I opened the subtitle file (a .txt file usually) in Microsoft Word. When Word opens, it asks what encoding should be used to display the text. Choose whichever Cyrillic encoding in compatible with the original text and hit "ok". Then copy and past the entire file from Word into Wordpad or Notepad. The text should show up correctly по-русски. That's still not enough for it to play in your media player though (I'm assuming VLC). Now you have to save the .txt file. Make sure you close Word first so the .txt file can be written. Overwrite the original .txt file. You will receive a message saying that the encoding isn't compatible and the changes will be lost, unless you change the encoding. So click on "cancel" (instead of "save") and change the encoding to UNICODE! Then save it. If you can see the Russian characters in Wordpad or Notepad then it will work correctly during the movie. I think the "Turkish" option in that bar in Wordpad was just to set the text as from a certain region. I think. As far as I know, that does NOT change the encoding to make the subtitles more compatible.

Hope this helps other users because I searched for a year trying to solve this problem!!! :-p

Tays

Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:38 pm

wow, mateo5009, thank you!
I didn't want to change my regional settings, and your solution is great, really helped :D

Tays

Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:42 am

Only I would like to add, you could do the same with .srt file. Open it in word, change coding, then save in wordpad in unicode as .srt file again.

Return to “Developing”