Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
oss
Site Admin

TV Series support preview

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:28 pm

Topic moved here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6015

This topic is locked.

Hello all,

I am working on TV series support hardly, it is not so easy, because design of database must be changed and also many logics, so I hope I will finish this someday :)

Here is current screen shot, so you will have idea how tv series should look like. Ofcourse I want make this as simple as possible.

In search suggest will go only TV SERIES (main title) and you will get to this page, where you can download all subs for series, or only for series, or only for some episodes. Problem is, when you dont select language, I have to think about this.

Also next problem is, how to compress those subtitles to archive, so you can write what do you think.
- let original filenames ?
- create filenames according episode ?
- what about releases ?
- possibility download tv series subtitles for more than one language ? (portuguese, portuguese brazillian)

I have still many work on this...

eduo

Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:44 am

Where are you getting the filenames from? I use tvrenamer.pl (a perl script) to rename files with the proper episode names and that in turn pulls the names from epguides, tv.com, etc.

You may want to take a look at thetvdb, who have a lot of info as well and link to the IMDB and the TVCOM IDs.

I only use the SubDownloader to get subtitles and you're probably asking about the web page. I personally wouldn't overcomplicate things because there are more problems than what you're seeing already. Users may want to download different subtitles for each episode and showing all options would be overkill.

Filenames are not an issue in SubDownloader but in the web interface I'd use the series-episode number-episode name format I currently use as well for files :)

oss
Site Admin

Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:07 pm

original filenames come from upload subtitles, problem is, when someone call it "miami vice.srt". From that I don't know anything, so I decided to "create" filenames according season episode like "miami.vice.S01E02.srt" for example.

I did script which adds ALL uploaded subtitles for SERIES to IMDB SERIES number (not base series number), so it should work better. Ofcourse, there will be some, which cannot be added (bad filename, no releasename, descrption for nothing...).

Write parser for other than IMDB will be overkill, so I will use only IMDB - series there is not so bad.

I will think about that, truth is, I have really minimum time for that, but I promise I will finish this soon :)))

eduo

Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:08 am

Questions about TV Series Support:

All these have to do with search or return of specific season and episode information
  • Will episode and season be searchfields?
  • Will episode and season be returned in search results?
  • Will episode, season and episode name, as well as series name and tv-series indicator be returned in XMLRPC methods?
  • Will IMDB Episode ID be returned in searches?
For example:

Searching in XMLRPC:
Searching for bytesize 366087250 and hash ac187d4387326787 should return not only the name of the series "Lost", but the season "4", episode "6", episode name "The Other Woman", IMDB series ID "411008" and IMDB Episode ID "994366" and a "isSeries" indicator.

Searching on the web could have additional "advanced" fields for season and episode. And the same fields should be included in the results (or at least in the simplexml or xml versions).

Right now searching on the web for series yields a mishmash of results in which we have the same problem as you have, locating what episode might a subtitle called "Lost.srt" be for.

You currently can tell when a subtitle belongs to a series because OS forces IMDBID in all subtitles. These are the patterns in regex I use to take the episod and season off the filenames (came from the xbmc ones, plus the one I personally use):

Single-Part episodes:

([0-9]+)x([0-9]+)[^\\/]* --> foo 1x09 - bar
\[[Ss]([0-9]+)\]_\[[Ee]([0-9]+)[^\\/]* --> foo_[s01]_[e09]
[\._ \-]([0-9]+)x([0-9]+)[^\\/]* --> foo.1x09*
[\._ \-][Ss]([0-9]+)[\.\-]?[Ee]([0-9]+)[^\\/]* --> foo.s01.e01, foo.s01_e09
[\._ \-]([0-9]+)([0-9][0-9])[\._ \-][^\\/]* --> foo.109*

Two-Part episodes:
([0-9]+)x([0-9]+)-([0-9]+)[^\\/]* --> foo 1x09-10 - bar
\[[Ss]([0-9]+)\]_\[[Ee][0-9][0-9]\-([0-9]+)\][^\\/]* --> foo_[s01]_[e09-10]
[\._ \-][Ss]([0-9]+)[^0-9]*[Ee][0-9][0-9]\-([0-9]+)[^\\/]* --> foo.s01.e09-10
[\._ \-][0-9]+x[0-9]+[\._ \-]*([0-9]+)x([0-9]+)[^\\/]* --> foo.1x09 1x10

There might be more, but you can lump the rest in "season 0" or a "general" season. These are the ones I use personally.

Rob Meerman uses some more in his "TV File Renamer" (which I use constantly) in Perl:
http://robmeerman.co.uk/coding/file_renamer

oss
Site Admin

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:04 am

• Will episode and season be searchfields?
ofcourse.
  • Will episode and season be returned in search results?
ofcourse
  • Will episode, season and episode name, as well as series name and tv-series indicator be returned in XMLRPC methods?
yes.
  • Will IMDB Episode ID be returned in searches?
yeah.
Searching in XMLRPC:
Searching for bytesize 366087250 and hash ac187d4387326787 should return not only the name of the series "Lost", but the season "4", episode "6", episode name "The Other Woman", IMDB series ID "411008" and IMDB Episode ID "994366" and a "isSeries" indicator.
Rob Meerman uses some more in his "TV File Renamer" (which I use constantly) in Perl:
http://robmeerman.co.uk/coding/file_renamer
I will look on it. I have also own regexpes and so on. Problem with series support is, I have to change a database little bit, I did some work on it, but it needs some couple of weeks pure work only on opensubs. To be honest I have so many work, I really dont know when TV series support will be done. But ofcourse, when I will do it, I will do it as best as I can.

eduo

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:19 am

Thanks for your response. It looks nice.

And I understand about the season and episode. The good thing is that you have subtitles matched against videofiles, so if you have 5 subtitles that already say an episode and season then that confirms it for the file and it can stay categorized.

eduo

Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:36 pm

bump.

wild_oscar

Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:50 am

It looks nice. And it should be implemented as soon as possible.

Opensubtitles.org is really behind in terms of tv series' subtitles. Finding subtitles for a particular Season or episode is currently really hard. Much easier on other sites - and usually people opt for what's easier!

It takes me 10 seconds to find a specific subtitle in other sites. Here, I spend 1 minute for the same task...

Any idea when it may be implemented?

eduo

Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:57 am

Opensubtitles.org is really behind in terms of tv series' subtitles. Finding subtitles for a particular Season or episode is currently really hard. Much easier on other sites - and usually people opt for what's easier!

It takes me 10 seconds to find a specific subtitle in other sites. Here, I spend 1 minute for the same task...

That's because you're not using a subtitle downloader like the dozens that exist that work with OpenSubtitles.

Downloading through the web is not as streamlined as in other sites, but no other site offers as accurate and fast download using a dedicated client than OS.

TV Series support was meant more in terms of the API than the web, although I'd imagine it's the web version what's making it hard.
http://eduo.info/
[url=http://eduo.info/soleol/]OpenSubtitles from your desktop: SolEol for Mac/Windows/Linux[/url]
[url=http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php?showtopic=325&st=0&p=2480&#entry2480]My current episode processing work flow[/url].

macofaco

Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:32 am

Downloading through the web is not as streamlined as in other sites, but no other site offers as accurate and fast download using a dedicated client than OS.
This is not true :wink:

wild_oscar

Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:14 pm

That's because you're not using a subtitle downloader like the dozens that exist that work with OpenSubtitles.

TV Series support was meant more in terms of the API than the web, although I'd imagine it's the web version what's making it hard.
1) Yes, I usually the web to find subtitles. All subtitles' sites give me the option to use the web to browse it, so why should I use a program?

2) Nonetheless, I'm trying subdownloader, but the results are the same. If there isn't information about the season or episode in the database, it's harder for the programs to look for them! If they do a string-based search, then it should be the same as in the website. That or subdownloader is a bad program...

eduo

Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:37 pm

1) Yes, I usually the web to find subtitles. All subtitles' sites give me the option to use the web to browse it, so why should I use a program?
Because it's much, much, MUCH better.

You don't use a program to search subtitles. You select your videos and the program downloads the subtitles for you, with a guarantee that they'll be synchronised.

I can't explain it further to you but your oversimplification make it clear I haven't been able to make you understand what the clients do.
2) Nonetheless, I'm trying subdownloader, but the results are the same. If there isn't information about the season or episode in the database, it's harder for the programs to look for them! If they do a string-based search, then it should be the same as in the website. That or subdownloader is a bad program...
Wrong. SubDownloader has no need to season or episodes. It downloads the appropriate subtitle for the video file. It needs not to know or show the subtitle itself.

I thought above I hadn't been able to explain properly but your dismissal of subdownloader as a bad program really points at how clueless you are to the way the client works. The advantage of the client is that you don't need to search by name or strings. Your "Madagascar" movie could be called "Lord of the rings" and SubDownloader would download the "Madagascar" subtitles. Your series, season and episode could all be wrong and the program would download the correct subtitle.

SubDownloader has no need to string search or name searches. You are wrong there. And not only it's not a bad program but it's a fabulous program, that solves a problem in a novel and intelligent way (by "fingerprinting" files and matching those fingerprints, called hashes, to subtitles).

Don't let your limited knowledge make you prejudiced. SubDownloader is not a "front-end" to the OpenSubtitles web (or any of the other programs, like Oscar or AllPLayer).

As I mentioned before, "TV Series Support" is not what you think it means. It's not (only) about showing the proper episode and season in the web. In reality that's a consequence of what it really is about (which is 100% related to the API).
[url=http://eduo.info/soleol/]OpenSubtitles from your desktop: SolEol for Mac/Windows/Linux[/url]
[url=http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php?showtopic=325&st=0&p=2480&#entry2480]My current episode processing work flow[/url].

eduo

Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:27 am

Bump.

Because we all want tv series support :D

oss
Site Admin

Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:18 pm

yeah, thanks for bumping :)

I want it too, so it is first thing to do. I promise I will do it and will try to make it perfect.

rednoah

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:32 pm

bump?

lg
red

Return to “Developing”