Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
Nikephoros

Philips DVP-5960 and subs

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:36 pm

I just got a new Philips DVP-5960 DVD/DiVx player and it is suppossed to support Greek codepage for subtitles but I cannot get it to work.

I hit stop twice on the remote, I hit setup, I go into preferences. I go to Subtitles/Other and I type in 6976 for Ellinika like it says on page 7 of the manual for the Greek codepage, press OK. Then I go back to the Preferences and turn on subtitles for Divx.

But still when I try to view Greek subtitles in SRT with a divx the subtitle codepage is not set. Anyone else have this player and managed to setup to view a non-Latin codepage? Other than my present stupidity in not knowing how to use Greek subtitles this player it great, it has USB 1.1, you can view Divx off a USB drive, it supports most Divx movies, it has pretty decent High Definition upconvert and it is affordable.

skurakai

Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:17 am

Maybe need subtitles in unicode :roll:

oss
Site Admin

Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:26 pm

or flash that player :)

Nikephoros

Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:58 pm

You have to hack and hex edit the firmware with codepage1253 subtitles yourself to get Greek codepage support it seems. There is modded/hacked firmware for the PAL DVP-5930/12 to support codepage 1253, but I have the NTSC DVP-5930/27 and I will probably have to modify the firmware myself for Greek codepage support. Which sucks.

From reading various forums, Philips is conservative with their firmware releases, Philips has said that for their firmwares they do not really add new features they just fix advertised and pre-existing features. It is lame that people are hacking and releasing better features and all these huge corporations do so little for their customers.

Return to “Off-topic talk”