Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
tristancastles

What is port forwarding and how I can redirect a port?

Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:51 am

I need to forward ports to increase my download speed in utorrent. If someone can tell me how I can redirect a port for utorrent (in plain English) to increase my download speed. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Kibemau

Re: What is port forwarding and how I can redirect a port?

Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:38 pm

The specifics depend on your router's model and on your LAN setup. In short, you need to:

- Define and configure a fixed port (let's call it myFP) for utorrent to use (as opposed to a random port, which is probably the default). You do it in utorrent's preferences.

- Make your PC's IP address fixed (let's call it myIP). (as opposed to sequentially defined by the router's DHCP). You do it in your router. Look for an option called "MAC Binding" or somesuch.

-Make your router take all packets that are destined to port myFP it receives and send them to the PC whose IP is myIP. You do it in your router. Look for an option called "Port forwarding", or maybe "Virtual Servers".

-You may also need to open that myFP port in your firewall, if you have one.

hth.

magic25

Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:56 am

The question is whether you are using a router or not. Because if you are using just a modem. You won't be able to do any port forwarding. What router are you using? Do you know how to access the set up page?
Magic is when you believe it.

armxx048

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:00 pm

To redirect a port you need to login into the admin settings of your router. Then you need to follow the following steps:

1. Open a Web browser, type your Default Gateway number into the address bar, and press Enter.

2. Enter your username and password to access your router’s interface. The default username and password should be listed in your router’s documentation, on a sticker on the side of your router, or on the Port Forward website. If the username and password have been changed from the defaults and you don’t remember them, you’ll need to reset your router.

3. To forward ports on your router, look for a tab or menu labeled “Applications & Gaming,” “Advanced,” “Port Forwarding/Port Triggering,” “NAT/QoS,” or something similar.

4. No matter what the router or interface, you’ll need to enter the same basic information. Enter the port you want to open under Internal and External, or enter a range of ports to open under Start and End. If you aren’t sure what port(s) you need to open for an application, consult this Port Forward list. Some common ports are 25565 (Minecraft), 6881–6887 (BitTorrent clients), and 3724 (World of Warcraft).

5. Choose the Protocol (TCP, UDP, or both).

6. Enter the static IP address you created.

7. Be sure Enable is selected if available. Enter a name under Application if you want, then save the changes.

Return to “Off-topic talk”