Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
jcdr

Re: Problem with a Greek Subtitle

Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:34 pm

Also i have come across greek subs which were useless regardless that setting, text was always displayed as a bunch of weird characters, or just a line of questionmarks. In that case, I just gave up.
See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx for list of encodings supported by MS Windows.
Apart from Unicode, Greek can be ISO/IEC 8859-7:2003 and Windows codepage (ANSI) 1253, but also DOS OEM 737, DOS OEM 869, IBM EBCDIC 423, IBM EBCDIC 875, MAC OS Greek, and even Greek national standard ELOT 928...

You can open the sub file with MS word, where you can see the rendering with various proposed encodings at opening, and select a different encoding when saved (except if the file is UTF-8, as this is the only encoding which can be 100% determined by heuristics).

patrickx

Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:14 pm

I had the same problem,i solved it by going to Control Panel->Region and Language->Format(TAB) and under format options i choose English (my previous option was greek) . Of course in bs you must choose in options->preferences->Subtitles->font->script:greek.
Hope that i helped you.

hector

Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:32 am

Please, use UNICODE. I don't think it's good to impose the use of a particular technology but in this case it is a must.
It's the only rational way to deal with many different languages, sometimes in the same file.

UNICODE is open, well defined and well supported by any decent program. PLEASE, USE IT

Return to “Off-topic talk”