Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
avandel

Remarks in subtitles, why?

Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:55 pm

In a lot of the subtitles I use there are in the end and sometimes in the beginning texts about for instance opinions from certain people about certain people which I find annoying really. Iluminatie? Lawyers? What the heck has those opinions to do with the pleasure of me watching a movie or serie, it ruins the mood.

Why is this and who approves this? It is almost like Coca Cola pushes their crap through our throats... Sorry for offending, but can't this be stopped?

urkexia

Re: Remarks in subtitles, why?

Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:28 am

Iluminatie? Lawyers?
Those are ads, they'll be there if you haven't uploaded 101 subtitles or purchased a VIP membership. Some exceptions as well https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/support#ranks

avandel

Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:04 am

What is the use of this kind of adds, I don't know any of them, as I said, I know what Coca Cola stands for, but those messages only inflict some effect on the native English countries of which I am no part of. The messages does not look like ads and therefor If Opensubtitles want to make money, they could ask for contribution without spewing opinions through this medium, but this is my thought about it.
Thanks though for answering this predicament I had for a long time.

oss
Site Admin

Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:29 am

Hi,

we are asking everywhere to support us. If you not support us (become VIP member), we have to support ourself with advertisers who are willing advertise this stuff.

avandel

Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:09 pm

Still, it is idiotic to see that same message over and over on every subtitle I use. If there was another way to make use of subtitles, I would gladly do that. Oh, and become a supporter? I run a website on my own, but I do not go nagging other people with unfounded silly remarks that 90% of the world does not know.
As I said, it is like carrying water to the sea, useless. But that's my opinion. :|
Want my advise? use a paypal donation system, one that actually links to a real person, but with streaming programs like PLEX, there is no way to make this connection, so when PLEX uses a subtitle from your domain, it still give those stupid (my opinion) ads. You can't guarantee that it wil be gone, how much money we donate.
...but there wil be someone who is smart enough to solve this? then we shall talk again.

oss
Site Admin

Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:32 pm

hi, forget about paypal, thats the worst company ever. The best is to solve it yourself - try to run website like this and then you will understand a LOT of things, including this one. I totally agree with you, and I would look on this issue same as you, like 15 years ago. Then I made this website and I am telling you, it is not easy to find balance between this.

Subtitles are free, use them for free with ads. Support us, and remove ads. Simple like that. Don't like it ? We are not only subtitles site on internet, so feel free to use another one.

Problem solved. If there was any problem...

Return to “Off-topic talk”